Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

America: Caffeinated or Over-caffeinated?

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
America is a caffeinated nation. Supporting an $11 billion industry, Americans consume more than 300 million cups of coffee each day from coffee shops, whose numbers have grown 18-fold since 1990. But Robert Bohannon, a scientist in Durham, N.C., is convinced there's a market for even more caffeine products—specifically in baked goods. Now he's hoping to persuade chains such as Starbucks (SBUX) and Dunkin' Donuts to sign on to sell his Buzz Donuts and Buzzed Bagels.

"Not everyone likes coffee," says Graham Wilson, a spokesman for Bohannon. "These products are an alternative if you like your morning pastry and want a boost without having to drink coffee."
Hyped-Up Market

Bohannon's forthcoming products are just the latest offerings of a rapidly growing, multibillion-dollar industry of caffeine-fueled products. From caffeinated gum like Jolt to ultra-caffeinated coffees such as JavaFit—even caffeine-laced body creams and leg-toning nylons—dozens of new products are hitting the shelves each year. The "energy drink" category alone grew 60% from 2005 to 2006, to about $2.6 billion wholesale, according to the New York-based consulting group Beverage Marketing, and shows no signs of slowing down.

"Companies have tapped into a bona fide consumer need for energy," says Gary Hemphill, Beverage Marketing's managing director. "People understand these products and I think the need is there. Through the course of a day most people could use a little extra energy."

The market has grown in tandem with busy schedules and longer work commutes that have cut into Americans' sleep time. About 7 in 10 adults get less than the recommended eight hours of sleep per night on weekdays, according to the National Sleep Foundation in Washington, D.C.

So what are consumers doing with all the energy they get from the Kickbutt Amped Energy Ballz, Enviga (a joint venture between Coca-Cola (KO) and Nestlé (NSRGY)), and Meth Coffee they consume? Hemphill says some want to stay alert longer at work and others may be looking to suppress their appetites or up their stamina in a workout. Others are using the products recreationally, to stay awake for late nights at clubs or while gaming. The market for energy drinks in particular tends to skew to a younger male audience, says Hemphill.
Jazzed Up on Doughnuts

Bohannon's products wouldn't be the first caffeinated foods on the market. Oatmeal, that staid breakfast food, now comes in a caffeinated version called "Morning Spark," from Sturm Foods of Manawa, Wis. And standard chocolate products, such as Hershey's (HSY) Special Dark contain about 30 milligrams of caffeine per serving.

Bohannon's background isn't in the kitchen but in the laboratory. A molecular biologist with a PhD in molecular virology, he has developed new tests for infectious diseases such as bird flu and HIV. In recent years Bohannon decided to put his scientific knowledge to work in the marketplace by starting his own company, Onasco, through which he'll sell his caffeine-infused foods. He has patented the idea of using tasteless caffeine in baked goods.
Energy Drink Sales Soar

There's scant data tracking the growth of caffeine-infused food products on the market, but it's clear that sales of energy drinks are surging. Red Bull is still the leader in that category, with about 50% market share. Murrieta (Calif.)-based Redux beverages launched a drink called Cocaine in September. With 280 milligrams of caffeine in each can, it offers more than triple the power of Red Bull's 80 milligrams. A cup of regular drip-brewed coffee contains about 135 milligrams of caffeine.

While some companies experiment with new formulas, others are tinkering with the classic sources of caffeine. Javalution Coffee of Fort Lauderdale sells coffee products with double the caffeine of regular coffee. Chief Operating Officer Tony Fanzari says the JavaFit Diet Plus and Energy Plus formulas are his best sellers. He says studies show the energy formula enhances athletic performance by 33% and the diet formula helps speed the metabolism.

"I've fought obesity my whole life, and I used to weigh 350 pounds," Fanzari says. "Using our products, I'm down to 234, and I'm keeping it off."
Hooked on Java

But in the rush to inject so many products with an addictive substance, how much is too much? Research shows that people who consume too much caffeine experience dehydration, anxiety, jitters, and increased heart rates. And many people are all too familiar with the feeling of a crash after the high has passed. But judging from the growth in the market, caffeine is a habit few seem willing to shed any time soon.

"The timing is right, because people are open to trying new products with an added benefit to them," says Hemphill. "People aren't just looking for nourishment or refreshment in what they consume; they are becoming more sophisticated and experimental, and the marketplace is, too."

Herbst is a reporter for BusinessWeek.com in New York.

Spidi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2006
Oh my god, Meth Coffee. Read on the site: "CUTS BOREDOM LIKE A GODDAMN RAZOR". Get a life, really.
They're exagerating with their Starbucks. And the obesity guy: if he had just drank water, he would've lost much more weight...

Gratefully_dead

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Mai 2007
I think thats pretty ridiculous i mean first of all i personally think caffeine is a totally superfluous idea like i never drink coffee and my friends say im one of the most energetic people they know also so many of my friends are addicted to caffeine liek they get withdrawal headaches if they dont have their coffee every morning and i see that kind of thing happen and i think to myself what the fuck!? secondly just about that meth coffee i think thats terrible advertising i mean its making a joke out of one of the deadliest scourges in our society today i think whoever came up with the idea to market their coffee as "Meth coffee" should be condemned to a life of meth addiction and well see how funny he thinks it is after that

ararat

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
>>Enviga (a joint venture between Coca-Cola (KO) and Nestlé (NSRGY))

-.-
coca cola and nestlé make a product together. could it be any better?

but, I have to say this whole stuff doesn't surprise me, except for the 300 million cups of coffee per day, omg.

toadlicker

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
1 Fev 2006
caffeine is the lifes blood of of this country and the more the better. there's no way i could possibly work my 65 to 70 hour, 6 day a week job if i didn't consume massive amounts of caffeine. there's just no room for noncaffeinated drinks in a country that doesn't have time to sleep. if it turns out that caffeine kills people faster fuck it they'll be replaced with younger more efficient people. i say keep pumping out the high powered caffeine drinks the survival of the world depends on it.

thomas

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
14 Août 2007
Personally, I dont see too much wrong with drinking caffeine.

I'm not really the kind of person that wakes up in the morning and says to himself "Jeez, I -really- need some coffee or it is going to be impossible for me to function today", but I do enjoy the flavor of a nicely roasted cup every now and then.

When it comes to things like energy drinks though I try to stay away from them.....but sometimes I just cannot deny the delicious flavors that some of them have. (mmm, amp)