Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Alternatives for prozac/anti-depressants?

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
High Angeliki ,

It sounds like you have a similar problem to me . Very many BAD things happened to me in my childhood and youth . There is no treatment and no therapy for me . The only thing i can do is try to acept it and move on : But thats VERY difficult because everything i see , hear and do reminds me of bad experiences i`ve made . The nightmares nearly every night dont help at all . I think i`ve acepted my past and it doesnt realy bother me , i`ve forgiven the people that abused me . BUT , i cant understand why the nightmares dont go away and sometimes feel that my life isnt realy mine . I have to be my friend , i have to give myself reasons not to be depressed and give myself my own therapy every day . Other people have got good memorys to comfort them in bad times . I havent ever had anyone show me love . The only love i`ve experienced is from a few dogs and thats what i use to pep myself up when i`m down . Luckily i`m a hard mother fucker and refuse to be down or depressed . If i did i would loose and i"m NEVER prepaired to loose . Hold your head up and smile , do your best and love yourself . You are you and your history is your history , you cant get rid of it only learn to acept it . After a time you will have good experiences to have , look back on and comfort you , and things will change .

Any doctor that laughs at you is a shit doctor , and any doctor that doesnt know about st.johns wort is a sharlatan . Here it gets prescribed by psychiatrists very much .

I dont think you have said what sex you are or how old you are ?

Take care of your self , dont let it get you down and never give up , you are worth careing about and fighting for .

Fucking shit i`m in tears again .

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I have taken fluoxetine (prozac) for a year and I must say it did help me for a while. Maybe it was only a psychological thing because my depression had really developed from an mdma addiction. I had been having a slight depression before, I guess, but when I discovered mdma then I "cured" my problems with the drug for about two years. At some point I realized this was going to bring me down and I had to stop taking the drug. After that decision I was really developing a severe depression - my parents drove me to seek a psychiatrist which I did because I really knew I needed help (and "help" in my mind was another drug to make me live again!). The psychiatrist prescribed prozac in a low dose which I upped to the highest dose in no time by complaining it didn't work. After two weeks on the highest dose in combination with alcohol I had an experience that was close to mdma and I was convinced this drug was going to help me.

I still think it helped me for a while, but then the side effects became more prmonent than the real effects and I stopped taking it after a year or so. I really don't miss it, but I don't condemn it either. I know there's reports of people killing themselves on prozac because the drug was their impulse to become active... I don't think you can blame the drug for that. For me it was okay as a serotonine enhancing drug for a while to bring me out of the coma of depression. It's not a wonder drug, but it's not evil, either.

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
I would just like to first make it clear. there are no known tests for a so-called 'disease' called by the pharma-shrinks, etc, 'depression' and/or 'clinical depression'. You can research this for yourselves.

I would like to make aware the water we are swimjming in also, which no doc, nor shrink, not psychologist, nor teeacher, in our civilization will mention or even know about. Which is our deep LOSS!

What is this deep loss?

Our sensual connection with the natural world. Our direct sensual connection with the land, animals, the very air. All of this was known and felt by Indigenous peoples who came from oral traditions. THE best--and lifechanging book-that goes into this in great depth is a must-read and is titled The Spell of the Sensuous, by David Abram...check it out :)

Why is this SO important to know? Well, for one we are always learnin. Never say 'right, i KNOW'. The wonder of reality is this sense of going deeper and deeper. because reality is alive. There isn't conclusion.........ALIVE

So, I really have only finished reading this book after several months of reading it. It is SO wonderful, I would sometimes read one page and have to put it down cause it is overwelmingly liberating. The way author communicates different more ancient ways of being

It makes sense, and fortifies my insights i have had from the past, especially from psychedelic experience. Ie., like what he says about how Indigenous peoples experienced the actual Air...as full of life, shared by all beings and forms, and breathed in and out, and full of magic.

Now in our mechanistic culture we are taught to totally ignore the space, the air, right. it is invisible. Sure its effects can be seen, like blowing leaves, hair, etc. But really it is usually ignored.
However, personally, when I have psychedelic experience, I become very aware of space and air. it becomes tangible. Multidimensional, and utterly interrelated with forms, and my breathing, and clouds and all.

But when we 'come down' for our Tryps, many of us feel this sad longing. And this can be in a big way understood and justified. because we are 'comin down' into a mechansitc matrix culture that decised for you what is real, and will diagnose you fukin 'mentally ill' if you was to go on about the magical air or whatever!!

So what am I saying?

That such insights as from that book I mention are extraordinarily complimentary for integrating psychedelic experience, and for understanding the modern sense of alienation that gets felt as depression/sadness, and diagnosed by this ignore-ant culture as an 'illness'!

For the real point of life is not what that culture pushes, but this sensual connection with the natural world. The exploring of this ...

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
Taoist meditation and practice (qi gong and/or tai chi) work very well given time. you dont have to think of it as a religion, just do the meditation. it can maintain the awareness you normally only experience on psychadelics

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"THE best--and lifechanging book-" - "Never say 'right, i KNOW'."

??????????

"That such insights as from that book I mention are extraordinarily complimentary for integrating psychedelic experience, and for understanding the modern sense of alienation that gets felt as depression/sadness, and diagnosed by this ignore-ant culture as an 'illness'! "

In your opinion . Must not be "are" better "can be" .

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
GOD a dit:
"THE best--and lifechanging book-" - "Never say 'right, i KNOW'."

??????????

"That such insights as from that book I mention are extraordinarily complimentary for integrating psychedelic experience, and for understanding the modern sense of alienation that gets felt as depression/sadness, and diagnosed by this ignore-ant culture as an 'illness'! "

In your opinion . Must not be "are" better "can be" .

what ya trying to say?

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I forgot to mention that nowadays for me a good shroom trip once in a while is the best anti-depressant. It really charges my powers and makes me think much more positively.

angeliki

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
2 Août 2008
well thanks for the replies.

i will give st john a shot, what about 5-Htp?

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
In the end the solution for your problems is in you not in a pill . Mixing pills is not a good idea , especialy with st.johns wort .

First do the other things that have been sugested . Have you been taking drugs ? Are you eating , sleeping and exercising properly ?

How old are you ?

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
tryptonaut a dit:
I forgot to mention that nowadays for me a good shroom trip once in a while is the best anti-depressant. It really charges my powers and makes me think much more positively.

Before I was using mushrooms I was very negative . Mushrooms made my world more positive and colourful. I have seen people (family and friends) being transformed positively because of there experiences with mushrooms.

I won't go into detail about how the mushrooms changed people around me, because it's there experience and I don't want to talk about there personal stuff here.

All I can say is that I have seen people change over night, because of the mushroom.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"All I can say is that I have seen people change over night, because of the mushroom."

If the report is true about the guy in Den Haag then not always for the positive . People who have depression should be VERY carefull with all drugs . The best would be to try and solve the problem in other ways before one try to do it with any sort of magic/k pill . Maybe thats the problem with some people = running away from themselves and looking for magic/k answers .

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
GOD: angeliki already said she's (or he's) 23...

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Thanks philopos , i missed that .

zezt

Inscrit
25 Mai 2008
magickmumu a dit:
tryptonaut a dit:

Before I was using mushrooms I was very negative . Mushrooms made my world more positive and colourful. I have seen people (family and friends) being transformed positively because of there experiences with mushrooms.

I won't go into detail about how the mushrooms changed people around me, because it's there experience and I don't want to talk about there personal stuff here.

All I can say is that I have seen people change over night, because of the mushroom.

I would love to hear of the good stories of how shrooms have changed people you knows lives for the better.

I believe that this kind of information is VITAL for the community as a whole. For it is not just about 'depressed' people, but about the whole oppressive world we are living in that tries to mindcontrol us to fear ecstatic inspiration that brings us into sensual interelationship with Nature.

it is VERY vital that as much as possible is contributed to gettting this message across, because we--the community, which includes ALL species--are under attack by forces totaly alienated from body, and the Web of Life.

You dont have to give names. But if you could tell here the benefits people have got from respectful use of psychedelic mushrooms, that would be really healing :)

MissDarling

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Août 2008
thadivine a dit:
A friend of mine has a longterm depression and his mother wants him to to take Anti-depressants and sleeping pills :?

This got me a lil worried since i think this is not the way to handle depression and i know someone who killed himself after stopping with prosac. So my experience is: when you start taking it, you can't really stop. And living the rest of your life/a long time in some kind of induced state to not feel the depression sounds really, really fucked up to me...

This friend has some fucked up past with his father which is most likely the cause of his depression. He doesnt want to see his father ever again (atm).

There must be another way, right? Perhaps Ayahuasca? But this will fully confront him with his past, and that may be a lil too hard (especially since he has no psychedelic experiance -except for a lot of weed and some kanna (which is a lil psychedelic too i think))? Perhaps under guidance of a shaman or something?

Instead of the sleeping pills perhaps 5htp? Or medicinal weed :lol: ???

Does anyone have suggestions? I really think its not good for him going to take anti depressants and sleeping pills...

grttz :cry:

Well, my father and grandmother have been on and off anti-depressants most of their lives (they're both normal, functional, mostly happy people with normal responses to emotional pain and everything), and the thing is depression is rarely caused by an external factor. It's actually a chemical imbalance in the brain, something that prosac (or zoloft, or a number of others) help correct. Sleeping pills are unnecessary and addictive, try sleep hygiene instead although anti-depressants would help regulate that. Also the longer depression goes untreated the harder it is to treat.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
MissDarling a dit:
the thing is depression is rarely caused by an external factor. It's actually a chemical imbalance in the brain, something that prosac (or zoloft, or a number of others) help correct.

Hate to be a dick, but this chemical imbalance has to come from somewhere, be it psychological (internal factor) or diet (internal/external factor) or something external... Depression correlates with a chemical imbalance in the brain, which doesn't mean the one causes the other.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Me 3 . Anti depressants dont heal anything , they just mask symptoms or sedate . Many people who get prescribed psychopharmica start a life long career of eating pills and they stop them developing their personalitys / charakters and turn them into profesional psychiatric zombys . Lately there have been studys that showed that many anti depressants are somewhere between totaly useless and dangerous .

Another point is that all anti depressants do is make the pharma industry rich...... and thats one of the reasons that medicinal psychedelic drugs and cannabis are illegal . Get rid of anti depresants and the doors would be open for general practicioners to prescribe psychedelic / cannabis therapys and to go a big step in the direction of legalisation .

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Forkbender a dit:
Hate to be a dick, but this chemical imbalance has to come from somewhere, be it psychological (internal factor) or diet (internal/external factor) or something external... Depression correlates with a chemical imbalance in the brain, which doesn't mean the one causes the other.

not necessarily, if someone is genetically predisposed to having their brain produce the wrong levels of serotonin in the first place.

but these people are in a very, very small percentage.

i saw the studies god is describing, they were in all major newspapers earlier this year if i recall. it's a bit alarming. the vast majority of people prescribed to these drugs do not have a physical chemical imbalance. it really is all about a quick fix and big bucks and yes i know people just like god describes who have zombified themselves by relying on those legal drugs to not deal with their problems