Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

advice

infinitetransistor

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Août 2009
im about to get into my first year of college and i realized i dont really know what i want to do and i look back on high school and have some regrets.

any of you older people have some advice as to what i must do with my youth?

Psyolopher

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
hahaha Dont listen to me, i'd tell you to not go to school.
Be free and do whatever you feel like.
Or you could take just some education and have that behind your back, which is good regarding personal economy.
Well, ok here it goes.
Life's a fucking lie and a fucking bitch.,..dont play the game!
man im such a rebel, so dont listen to me lol.

Find out what you wanna do man, get inspiration.

No matter what you do, its fucking hard work....
So the important thing is to enjoy the ride....

:roll:
Man im bad influence on people.

infinitetransistor

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Août 2009
Psyolopher a dit:
hahaha Dont listen to me, i'd tell you to not go to school.
Be free and do whatever you feel like.
Or you could take just some education and have that behind your back, which is good regarding personal economy.
Well, ok here it goes.
Life's a fucking lie and a fucking bitch.,..dont play the game!
man im such a rebel, so dont listen to me lol.

Find out what you wanna do man, get inspiration.

No matter what you do, its fucking hard work....
So the important thing is to enjoy the ride....

:roll:
Man im bad influence on people.

lol trust me i want to abandon it all. i actually have another semester of high school cus i never did any of the schoolwork cus i knew most of what im being taught is bullshit.

but i wanna go to college mostly to meet people i can talk to and to take some classes to broaden myself and understand other points of view, and to find a job i suppose, because id love to get by without em i just dont think i have the witt for anything else.

but thanks man im glad to see we dont all sell out

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
I never finished my first attempt at college. It wasn't a waste though, during that time I found out exactly what I wanted to do and later I went for it and finished it. Actually a lot of people do that here. Take a year or two of university then switch majors, etc. (I hear that's different in some places in Europe where they push kids into vocations during grade school.. that sounds pretty shitty to me quite frankly! I know kids who didn't care at all about school till grade 10 or 11 and as soon as they tried they aced everything!)

You're asking the 1,000,000 dollar question though :D Finding the balance between what you want to do and work.. and how to feed yourself in such a way that you won't be working at McDonalds in your 70's. It's hard.

Find something though. You don't want to end up without an employable skill, otherwise you really WILL be working for the man (twice as hard at a fraction of the wage) and probably hating your life especially in your 30s.. speaking here from having seen a few of my mates who isolated themselves, they all ended up trapped, working their asses off for next to nothing, living from paycheck to paycheck, not being able to afford even a trip to see people they care about, and becoming even more bitter and isolated. Yikes. (And never mind if you decide someday you actually want a family or relationship, or help out your parents when they get much older.)

If I could go back in time with my experience I have now, I might actually have finished and even aced my first attempt. I think during my 20s I became a lot more patient, learned how to treat myself better mentally and healthwise, figured out much better study habits as I learned HOW to learn. I don't know. When I dropped my first college courses I hated them so much I couldn't even stand looking at them.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Man im twenty, and all i ever was good at was producing.
And thats what im aiming at.
I have great passion for music, and i dont really care about money.
I can hardly afford some cheap meal a day these days, but i dont care...
I still am what i am, and do what i do....
It can be stressful, but why shud my lifestyle be anything less.

But i wished i had a good job though, my goal is to live off music....
but thats getting harder everyday...so i just take what ever thats out there.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
Best of luck, seriously. It's so hard to make a living off of music unless you end up doing soundtracks or something..

I'm just happy I have a job and lifestyle that leaves me plenty of time to make music on the side, will hopefully be doing creative stuff till the day I die.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
magickmumu a dit:
Advice?
Don't listen to other people to much.
Couldn't have said it better. If you're not ready to make a choice on your own, perhaps you're not ready for the choice at all. It's better to think deeply instead of gathering arguments on the internet. It's about YOU and your life.

It's very easy to decide not to do something, opposed to deciding what to do.

I'm curious, what are the regrets you talk about?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
This is always a difficult matter. Spending years in college sucks, but so does a lifetime behind the counter at Wallmart. Of course college doesn't have to suck, especially if you have a certain goal you want to achieve. So the most important thing right now is to find your passion.

I wanted to go to a university, but ended up pursuing lofty goals in an ashram, which may have been fine for my immortal soul, but useless for my practical future. Well, I may have developed some skills there, but not having the proper diplomas and work experience, the past decade has been very hard for me, working one underpaid job after the other. Believe me, you don't want that. In the beginning of your life, try to focus on getting a decent education and some practical work experience.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:
I wanted to go to a university, but ended up pursuing lofty goals in an ashram, which may have been fine for my immortal soul, but useless for my practical future. Well, I may have developed some skills there, but not having the proper diplomas and work experience, the past decade has been very hard for me, working one underpaid job after the other. Believe me, you don't want that. In the beginning of your life, try to focus on getting a decent education and some practical work experience.

Exactly, and if i where you i should follow his advice! I also wasted my youth and didn't wanted to study. Now i am fucked to sit behind the curtain or spend my life with a fucking shit job that is also underpaid. So just choose something and work your way up, there will be a time when you will know what you want to do for a living, but till then it doesn't care what you do. As long as you study and work your way up, your fine. I mean you don't want to wait till that day that you know what your life purpose will be, because if your having bad luck. You will have no change to fulfill that purpose.

Twilight

Inscrit
7 Juin 2008
Don't think too much about what kind of job you will be able to get after you finish at college, that only makes the time you're spending at college worse.
Just live from year to year and don't worry too much about the 'after 10 years' future.
I don't really have any idea where I'm going to end up right now and I'm about to start as well!

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
I have many passions. Though I've always been very uncertain about what I would love to do with my life. Meaning, what I would love to do and at the same time getting money with it.

I still don't know for sure.

The past month I decided I will start to have music lessons. Since music is one of my passions.

I have no college degree. Never got into it. Though, I've been thinking of getting into something next year.

All in all, it's our own decisions, and our own feelings towards the things wich we want or would like to do that matter the most. No wonder they are the hardest to face and to make, sometimes.

overman

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
1 Avr 2009
i think there's some solid advice in this thread already.

i would just add that i wish i spent more time taking it all in, meeting as many people and not taking my life so seriously. it's a unique opportunity to discover a lot about others as well as yourself, and i had a lot of downer issues on my mind (family, religion, ex-gf) throughout university that kept me from truly making the most of it. i have my last 12 months in school ahead of me and i plan on taking it day by day and not getting caught up in expectations.

hope everything works out!

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
Fear is not a good motivation for going to college (fear of ending up at wallmart).
Indeed a passion for knowledge is a much better motivation.

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
mysticwarrior a dit:
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:

Exactly, and if i where you i should follow his advice! I also wasted my youth and didn't wanted to study. Now i am fucked to sit behind the curtain or spend my life with a fucking shit job that is also underpaid. So just choose something and work your way up, there will be a time when you will know what you want to do for a living, but till then it doesn't care what you do. As long as you study and work your way up, your fine. I mean you don't want to wait till that day that you know what your life purpose will be, because if your having bad luck. You will have no change to fulfill that purpose.

Now I'm not saying that you shouldn't go to school if you have the chance, but success and education aren't necessarily correlated like these two here suggest. Some of the happiest and most interesting people I know only finished high school. Take responsibility for your own future and you will do fine whatever you choose. It doesn't hurt to plan and to aim high, as long as you don't get obsessed about it.

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
I only finished high school, and I am very happy :D

No regrets here.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
success and education aren't necessarily correlated
Oh, I fully agree with that, so I didn't want to suggest this at all. It depends on each individual, and on their upbringing, hobbies, interests or talents for example. But generally it's advisable to focus on developing practical skills and learning a certain trade when you're still young.

Lots of uneducated, so-called spiritual people I met in the past 20 years live on welfare or constantly harass their friends and relatives with multi-level marketing and other get-rich-quick schemes.

Ganesha a dit:
Some of the happiest and most interesting people I know only finished high school.
What age are they now?
Do they have children already?
What's their current means of sustenance?

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
They are mostly self-employed and earn more than I do with my university degree (I must admit that it is mostly my choice). One build an online business from scratch selling comic books and action figures. Another sells jewellery he buys in Asia for peanuts. Another is a published (although not bestselling) writer. I can go on. Most of them are in their late twenties early thirties and some of them have a kid or one on the way. Of course they have their own problems, but at least they don't have to worry about money, like some of my more 'spiritual' friends.

Myself I'm not entirely ready for such a life and I doubt if I'll ever be, because I'm happy not having that life. I earn enough to get by working in a simple shop, but I am interested in setting up my own business in something I really like/believe in.