Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

open minded?

$T0N3R_420

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
3 Juil 2007
for me openminded means to place yourself in a other persons thoughts and your own thoughts and
look at it from different views, i don't believe in a god and i dont know how life was created.
but we are here. we can look back and figure it out but that does not give u the point u are looking for,so... i don't like when people put people in a group, that makes you (different)we are all people. not groups of different thinkers.but we think diffrent (@_@)
its coming from difrent ways!

its coming from like 2 ore 3 ways, maby more.
its just your brain playing tricks from the information that you have learned in your life.
puting things in groups like good and bad.
its all bequse the brain is (programmed) that way.
its like i hate being in a group and step out,
and some walk my way too by there own, so we are the (group) walking away. i hope some wil understand what im talking about :shock:

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
for me openminded means to place yourself in a other persons thoughts and your own thoughts and
look at it from different views, i don't believe in a god and i dont know how life was created. but we are here. we can look back and figure it out but that does not give u the point u are looking for,so... i don't like when people put people in a group, that makes you (different)we are all people. not groups of different thinkers.but we think diffrent (@_@)
its coming from difrent ways!

Kind of paradoxical to talk about open mindedness and at the same time, tell other's that they won't find what they are looking for by searching history :)

The act (or non act) of not putting people in groups, does not have an effect on the behavior of those people. For example, ignoring Christian fundamentalism and pretending it doesn't exist, won't make it go away overnight.

its just your brain playing tricks from the information that you have learned in your life.
puting things in groups like good and bad.

Putting things in groups is essential for survival. For example to be able to determine food and poison, you'll need some kind of 'good'/'bad' way of categorizing stuff. It's not the mind playing tricks but your normal mode of operating.

its like i hate being in a group and step out,
and some walk my way too by there own, so we are the (group) walking away. i hope some wil understand what im talking about

We are one group, people. Among this group, we have subsets of groups, all people. some more awaken than others. I can't personally really dismiss good and bad among those groups altogether. Narrowmindedness to my mind, is a disease if given narromindedness is acted out. For example, someone who wants to believe in a historical Jesus can do so as long as this person. does not lay this trip on anybody else in the way of limiting someone elses choices (as long as those aren't hurting anybody else). The main reasoning that I personally try to maintain is that everybody should be able to do and say as they like. As long as it is not hurting anybody else and is sustainable. In that respect, the categories for human beings (in my mind) are more leaning towards awake deeply asleep as opposed to 'good' and 'bad'.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
$T0N3R_420 a dit:
i don't like when people put people in a group [...]
its like i hate being in a group and step out

Step out of what? The group you just put the rest of humanity in?

$T0N3R_420

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
3 Juil 2007
i mean groups like religion. and the people at war.
people more importand telling you what is good and bad.

i dont know how to explain, its going very deep.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I know what you mean, I've been there. But it doesn't make any sense to hate people for doing something stupid, because then you are just as obsessed as they are with evil.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"everybody should be able to do and say as they like. As long as it is not hurting anybody else"

I agree , but i think we should define "not hurting anybody else" . For example the ultra right wing "religeous" "god made the earth in 7 days" loonys define hurting someone else in a different way than you and me . So do those neo-nazi zionists who believe that they are gods chosen people and some other people are subhuman . They believe that telling undeniable truths is hurting other people / anti semitic .

"Step out of what? The group you just put the rest of humanity in?"

Thanks for making me laugh !!!

Sociology is the science of groups , weather we want it or not we / life organise ourselves in groups . What i dont like is when people have little boxes in their minds with say 10 words in them to define something and then when they think that they see someone complying with 3 or 4 of the words in one of their boxes they put the people in that box .

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Being open minded is really hard to accomplish sometimes. For example if somebody tells you they believe the world was created by a giant turtle, it is really hard to stay open minded. But hey, it might as well be true!
Bad example, but I am often reminded (mostly while tripping) that I am mostly not as open minded as I like to believe I am.

G

Invité
Everybody knows God is a flying spaghetti monster, so why still argue about that? :p

800px-Touched_by_His_Noodly_Appendage.jpg

Open-mindedness is good, saying you're open-minded can be dangerous though, there may be things your not seeing or neglecting.

expedion

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2008
I only need 2 words to describe what an open mind means.

Objective Observation.

Being open minded is an art in itself. Training yourself to perceive reality/life as it is and having full acceptance of the situation. I believe an open mind is fully achieved when one becomes FULLY integrated in the reality of life.

- Expedion

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
^"Objective Observation"

:D
Those two words have defined 2500 years of philosophy and science and we still don't know what the fuck is going on or if it is possible at all.

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
And the question is: can one really be 100% objective? I don't think so.

But still, finding ways to understand other people, try to grasp were they are coming from and why they believe what they believe is certainly wortwhile and helps us all towards a more peaceful world.

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
lol*fan a dit:
And the question is: can one really be 100% objective? I don't think so.

But still, finding ways to understand other people, try to grasp were they are coming from and why they believe what they believe is certainly wortwhile and helps us all towards a more peaceful world.
I know for a fact that one can't be completely objective, the sheer fact of you being you and you interpreting things (which you always do) makes it impossible to not have slight touch of " you-ness" (subjectivity) to everything you think/say/"know"

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
How can something that can only be experienced by an individual (i.e. that there are no objective truths) be a fact?

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Forkbender a dit:

what is a fact? is there absolute truth or is a fact something we consider true until proven otherwise?

i think being open minded, is knowing that no one is right.

this may be believing that there is no absolute truth,
or it may be believing that there is absolute truth, but not for the human mind.

if you say "this grass is green, you can't say otherwise."
but what is green? if the word for green was red, than the grass would be red.
who says the green i see, is the green you see?

truth is personal

taking that in consideration is a form of openmindness.

expedion

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2008
Meduzz a dit:
Forkbender a dit:

what is a fact? is there absolute truth or is a fact something we consider true until proven otherwise?

or it may be believing that there is absolute truth, but not for the human mind.

truth is personal

And that's the twist to it. Who knows what objective reality is? You can't know, so it applies that EVERYTHING is possible. There is no limitation.

But remember, it's an art.

- Expedion

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
Everything is relative to the perception of it, so one could say that the only objective article in the universe is perception itself.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
So, we've established that we all have different meanings for the same things....this is what politics is based on, as well as polemics.....

abstractions.....

This is where the whole concept of 'memes' comes into play. Which set of abstractions do you agree with, is the question.

And to add to the complications, abstractions are in continual flux, within the individual, so what you may think of as 'right' today, becomes 'wrong' next year.

This is the arena of influence, and inspiration, pertaining to all our relations with each other.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
buffachino a dit:
Everything is relative to the perception of it, so one could say that the only objective article in the universe is perception itself.

i don't know, perception is quite subjective.
but then again, "subjective" and "objective" are just words created by us humans...

but you are right... so we can we say "objective" doesn't exist (for us)?

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
Meduzz a dit:
Forkbender a dit:

truth is personal

Thát is a beautiful conclusion. Only the hard part in discussions like these is when you start considering things like pedophilia. The pedophile might say that sex between adults and children is a healthy part of the sexual development of the child. He might say this is where society gets it all wrong. Just like most of us here are of the opinion that society's negative view on drugs is unjust. In the case of pedophilia, I find it hard to stay open minded.

That is not to say open mindedness is not a valuable thing, I think society would only benefit from more people being open minded to a certain degree. The trap is just that you might think you're open minded while someone else thinks you're not, thinks you're narrow minded instead.

As for the case of the pedophile, we/our society tries to 'heal' the pedophile since we see it as a mental disease caused by, I don't know, mental and physical pain inflicted on the pedophile in his early years maybe. And pedophilia is clearly damaging the casualties, the children. Still though there have been times that societies handled this issue different I guess. I remember some old Roman or Greek practice where adult men would initiate teenage boys into sexuality by having sex with them. This was considered totally normal.

There are probably a lot of things to consider when judging, for example, pedophilia. I guess open mindedness is then to not just say "It is wrong because it feels wrong." or "It is wrong because it has been wrong for as long as I remember." but to ask oneself "Why do I consider this or that practice wrong? Can I come up with valid arguments? Have I looked at this from various viewpoints? Am I being as subjective as I can?"

Yeh, open mindedness... I think it's a long philosophical discussion in the end ;)

Cheb

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
2 Jan 2008
noone is truly open minded. I am not open minded, but i try to be as open minded as i feel the need to be. Which regularly is VERY open minded in most peoples eyes.

To me, this means i have to recognise prejudiced thoughts, put them aside and try and judge for myself how things really are. Even then i need to remember myself that this would only apply to that specific person/object or what ever it's about.

I always say; Do whatever you wanna do, as long as it doesn't bother me.
Meaning i am open minded, up to a level when my own feeling tells me i reached a tollerance limit.
This is taken from a purely egoistic point of view. I am a ferm believer that everything you do, you basicly do for your own good. Even helping that granny cross the street. That feeling of "i helped her" is only there to please yourself not for granny. At the same time that granny really didn't want to be helped, but rather be able to run across. Yet she is thankfull, because she herself won't be hindered by the traffic (again, own good).

Maybe open minded really is nothing more then teaching how to think for yourself?! :roll: