Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Growing new mushrooms from a few three-year old mushroom caps

Dr. Pot

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
25 Août 2012
I'm always up for a challenge, so I wanted to see if I could grow new mushrooms from some dried mushrooms that I found that were at least three years old. I didn't have high expectations for this, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. First, I took an old salsa jar, filled it with about a centimeter of brown rice, then added water to about two centimeters. I put it in the oven, set it to about 125 C, (250 F or so) with the lid on the jar very loosely. I left it for about 45 minutes, then shut the oven off. I left it about 20 minutes more, until the jar was warm, but not too hot to touch. Then I took the jar out of the oven, held the mushroom cap above it, and scraped the underside of the cap with a pin that I taped to the end of a shish kabob skewer, and sterilized with a lighter. When the surface of the rice was sufficiently specked with black specks, I put the lid back on, and left the jar in a warm, dark place for about a week and a half, checking on it every so often.

Sure enough, after not very long, four or five different fungi were growing on the surface of the rice. Most were various flavors of mold, but at least two of the spots were very clearly snowy-white mushroom mycelium. So I went and prepared a second jar the same as I had the first, with brown rice. Then I got the pin-skewer tool from before, sterilized the pin with a lighter, and stabbed a grain of rice that was clearly one of the mycelium-covered ones. Then I dropped that single grain of rice in the new, fresh jar, being much more careful not to let any dust get in this one. I cleaned out the first jar, which was clearly fated to become little more that a moldy jar of rice.

The second jar took off quickly. Since I started from mycelium, not spores, it quickly took over the jar a lot faster than spores would have. I had one spot of ordinary penicillium mold, which I picked out with the sterilized tip of a knife, but that was after the mycelium was already dominating the rice. Anyway, once the entire rice cake was white with mycelium, I cut it in half (so I could get the thing out of the jar) and pulled the two halves out separately. Then I put them in a shallow basin, that I covered with saran wrap, and put a half centimeter or so of water in the bottom. In a few days, I saw some little mycelium clusters form, that turned into little mushrooms, that grew into big mushrooms. All in all, I got about fifteen grams of dried mushrooms from that one cake, and made some spore prints for the next time I decide I want to grow them. Not bad for such a long-shot grow, with nothing but brown rice. :)

Dr. Pot

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
25 Août 2012
ophiuchus a dit:
NICE! that's like a cinderella story haha. i have been curious about a method like this for some time now... thanks for that.
No problem. :) I dug up some pictures I took from that grow, since I knew I had them somewhere. I wish I'd have taken more, but that was a long time ago, so what can you do?

Here's the jar I grew it in:

Voir la pièce jointe 7731

And the two halves of the cake sprouting mushrooms. I had to cut the cake in half and remove it in two pieces to get it out of the jar.

Voir la pièce jointe 7730

drizzit

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Juil 2012
:D that's awsome.

Matthalamew

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
22 Août 2012
- UM WOW - This is the sort of thing that should make history. Don't know if anyone else feel it, but ever since I was in my teens I have tried and thought - how could I extend this mushroom cap to more mushrooms - spent years learning the techniques and now you've just demonstrated that all that is not necessary. Very impressive.Voir la pièce jointe 7786

Dr. Pot

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
25 Août 2012
Matthalamew a dit:
- UM WOW - This is the sort of thing that should make history. Don't know if anyone else feel it, but ever since I was in my teens I have tried and thought - how could I extend this mushroom cap to more mushrooms - spent years learning the techniques and now you've just demonstrated that all that is not necessary. Very impressive.Voir la pièce jointe 7786
To be fair, it took a lot of messing around. You have to have a good eye for what fungus is mushroom mycelium and what's actually mold. Also, the less you check on how your fungus is doing, the better off you are. Disturbing the substrate tends to spread mold spores, if any mold is growing on it. If I had disturbed the first jar too much, I could have easily contaminated the whole thing with mold spores. And luck probably plays a pretty big role in whether or not you're successful. But it worked at least once, for me. :)

NiggieSmalls

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
21 Mar 2017
I hope you don't mind me responding 5 years later lol
But I've read this countless times in hopes that I'd come across some mushrooms, It's taken me quite a while but I finally have, When I got them there were some that were still wet (Got stiffed on the price tbh) but I was happy to even have the chance so I cringed as I walked away, I should have tried to save some of the living tissue while they were still alive and wet, but after I got home and had a chance to really look at them I saw they were quite small, The biggest being less than an inch in length but I tried some and they are defiantly what I was told they were (First timer), Weak because of the immaturity of them I assume but still had an effect. Now they are all quite dry and I've decided to take one of the ones i knew was quite wet still and re-hydrate it in some tap water (Sanitary I know) but I was just curious if this would work? If i re-hydrated an entire "baby-shroom" and put it in some cardboard or something like that for it to grow on? What would be the best route doing it this way?