Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

your worse job

druglessdouglas

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
what is the worse job you have ever had?
the hardest job i have had was shelling scallops (pecten maximus) 12 -20 hour shifts.
one of the lowest paid jobs ive had was building hill-paths 42 - 45 hours a week for £140 take home

what is the worse job you have had, and why?

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
i used to do a lot of labor jobs for an industrial labor company. sometimes i had to work crappy jobs (the worst was down a deep 50' shaft with a freakin loud industrial vacuum truck sucking up sewage with bugs swimming around in it.. that particular job was also for a fucking abusive creepazoid who didn't last long).. aside from that most times it was actually a pretty decent job

worst job ever.. tossup between being a cashier for a grocery store that played a muzak beatles cd on loop all day, and another job at a department store that played pop country all day where i spent several hours per diem in a small room untangling large containers of plastic hangers of various sizes and colors and sorting them onto racks. both jobs were claustrophobic, played the same annoying music on loop over and over, the time just dragggeeddddd, they left you exhausted and paid shit. telemarketing is almost there but at least it paid enough to get by (bad karma tho).

now i'm a white collar and i actually miss the industrial labor jobs. they kept me very busy so the shifts just flew by, paid decent, kept me in shape, and i got to see a lot of neat machines..

Mara

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Avr 2008
It was my first job. I was working in a kitchen-factory. I had to put screws in bags... All day long. Was not allowed to wear gloves so my hands were a mess. After two weeks I quit.

There was this guy doing that same job for over 30 years. Couldn't believe it.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I once worked in a mall where they played the same pop music over and over (the songs would repeat every two or three days), very loudly, and one of the loudspeakers was hanging right above our unit in that mall. There were also a couple of machines standing around my shop that repeated an electronic tune every two minutes to lure customers. Though I loved the work itself (selling vitamins and sports supplements), and I had a great relationship with the employers, I hated the location, and it really started to stress me out after a while. One day I took scissors and cut the cable of one of the machines, but unfortunately it was repaired within a day. Meanwhile at home, the mother of my two children fell in love with another married man. The day before Christmas, when I was working from 9:00 till 21:00 in that shopping mall, she invited that 45 year old guy over, or he invited himself over. In any case, they kissed for the first time then.

Though I loved my employers, the location drove me mad, so I tried to find another job, and did. But on the night before my first day at that job (in January), my wife decided it was very important to pick another fight with me. Next morning I was too late for work, and was immediately fired. So then the prospect was that I would be home fulltime until I'd find myself another job. Quite a surprise for my wife, and her new friend...

Three months later, after a short legal battle which proved they had no right to fire me and so had to pay me for the three months I stayed at home, I went back to work again, to finish the three remaining months of my six months contract.

At that time I had just become an astrologer (I had obtained my diploma the previous year) and I had bought my first laptop, so I decided to take it to my new job (a two hour train ride). Arriving there, I met my new colleague, and in the course of looking at her chart, I noticed... well, she became my girlfriend a couple of weeks later, to the dismay of my new employers who already hated my guts. I told my ex-wife I was falling in love, and that I was expecting that very soon I would start an intimate relationship (in other words: I told her in advance, I never cheated on her). One or two days later the new relationship started, and I immediately moved out. With some interruptions, I stayed with that girlfriend for about one and a half years. I then moved out and got my own apartment. From the late summer of 2003 till just before the summer holidays of 2007 my ex-wife waited in vain for that 45 year old guy to divorce his wife (and leave his four children?) and become her partner fulltime. All this time she had told me they were no longer in contact, even though their horoscopes told otherwise. In the spring of 2007 I got the chance to go through her email box. I did a search for his name, and found two emails which revealed the nature of their relationship, recountiing past intimacy. My ex-wife kept lying though, to protect him (I had often threatened to tell his wife, and tried but never managed to). But he stopped writing and visiting her around June, only weeks after first introducing himself to my children as Mama's new friend. After the summer holiday he admitted that he had a new girlfriend (his wife had kicked him out of their house) and he's living with her now.

Oops, all of this is quite off-topic. Well, let's say that job at the shopping mall wasn't just a drag at the time, but had severe ramifications down the road.

Just a final note: Since she denied she had a relationship with 'Harry', I had suggested every now and then that we give our relationship another chance. She repeatedly said she would be fine, even though her prospects as an uneducated single Polish mother were dim. In fact it was a couple of days before I met Mara (December 2006) that I practically begged her to reunite our family. She refused, saying she'd be fine. Two years later she's not doing fine at all. But now it's really too late. I and my kids love Mara, and Mara loves all of us. So yes, there is a happy ending to this story. For me at least. I sometimes feel pitty for my ex-wife, but then I remember it was her choice to lie repeatedly and hope for an already married man to leave his wife and children for her. She now understands how stupid she had been all these years, and she feels terribly guilty for the damage she had created, but it's too late.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
quite a story CM, glad it worked out for you.

my worst job so far was shift working in a lab. but I do have to admit that I haven't had many jobs so far.
shift is changing every two days between early (5:30 to 13:30), late (13:30 to 21:30) and night (21:30 to 5:30). you don't have ANY sleeping pattern, work on weekends whilst your friends are having fun, you are constantly tired (sucks when you want to trip at some point..), I started living quite unhealthy because I started to eat a lot of shit, and you have to listen "THE BEST HITS FROM THE 80'S AND FROM TODAY, WE HAVE THE BEST MUSIC, BUT NOW FOR SOME ADVERTISEMENTS"
that fucking radio is driving me insane. 8 hours of tortorous crap music and bullshit ads (mixed 50:50)

but seeing it from a different standpoint, I can read books and get paid a lot. it's ok. but I wouldn't be able to work in there for 40 years, like a guy in there did. it would feel like I'd have wasted my whole life.

G

Invité
Worst that I did was working in a supermarket during the Christmas period, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Two weeks after stopping it, I did a DXM trip, during which I found myself feeling I was back doing this job again, so I guess there's a trauma involved in here...

Hehe, the next job I found was moving TONS of files from one floor to another for a government agency, even if it was really physical and I was spending most of my time in a cellar, this was paradise for me, no one to talk to, no need to pay a non stop attention to make sure you give back correct change, no unstopping beep-beep sound :D

Then I got an overpayed job in an American company which drove me nuts as I was payed to do NOTHING. The guy who hired me was the only one who knew what was needed from me, and he quit 2 weeks after hiring me.

I spend 3 months doing 8 hours a day in a desk, browsing the internet, reading books and stuff like that.

I thought I was lucky first, but trust me, after less than a week, you just don't know what to do to kill your boredom and you just wish someone would finally figures things out and give you something to do.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
Tiax a dit:
Then I got an overpayed job in an American company which drove me nuts as I was payed to do NOTHING. The guy who hired me was the only one who knew what was needed from me, and he quit 2 weeks after hiring me.

I spend 3 months doing 8 hours a day in a desk, browsing the internet, reading books and stuff like that.

I thought I was lucky first, but trust me, after less than a week, you just don't know what to do to kill your boredom and you just wish someone would finally figures things out and give you something to do.
haha, absolutely second that.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Seems it's typically a psychonaut thing to get annoyed by the terrible, repetitive music playing in many a workplace.

Mycophile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
30 Juil 2004
I worked fulltime in a supermarket during christmas time. It's now 14 years ago and I still get shivers all over my back when I hear Jingle Bells...

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
Working in the fields in August in the deep south when I was in prison.
I think you got the worse.

My worse job was a courtesy clerk at a grocery store (Safeway) I quit after like 2 weeks. There's just something about collecting shopping carts for 8 hours a day that will make you want to shoot yourself.
Best job is the one I got now, it's hard labor but I can be making over $20/hour in a couple of years.

phatass

Inscrit
15 Août 2007
Working in Mc Donalds... thats when i started using opiates daily to kill the boredome and would drink a flash of rhum or whisky with my benzos when i got home... it was a very dark time for me....

FreeNature

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
1 Mai 2006
working in a meatfactory where they made ham and pate and all sorts of shitty food, very long days, no music, a terrible smell and everyone looked really sad.
I still don't eat any meat from that particular factory because it was downright nasty...

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I can't compete, although I was almost bored to death by the last deskjob I had.

mrvn

Inscrit
18 Oct 2007
Polishing big boats whit the old fasioned hand and cloth ppffffffffff.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
it's typically a psychonaut thing to get annoyed by the terrible, repetitive music playing in many a workplace.

yeah, (aside from spice's terrible sounding job) what really makes a job bad for me is a claustrophobic, mind-numbing environment, with little pay, and the clincher--repetitive but without the option of letting your mind wander. the days are like little eternities unto themselves

i've had jobs that sound not so bad (like, clerk or something) that absolutely made me want to start punching people by the end of the day, and jobs that might sound terrible (shoveling piles of lime dust out of a massive kiln) that i actually found physically and mentally invigorating...

as i'm getting older i'm also discovering that i like to keep my work and my hobbies separate. doing things i like for a living generally means i end up compromising, not making the things i want to make or exploring my ideas fully, and still draining all my creative energy in the process..

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
Working for the RET. The Rotterdam public transport. My job was checking tickets.
Not selling tickets, but checking them. People got aggressive and threatening so that sucked.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
the worse thing about shelling scallops in the shellfish factory was the sulphur dioxide fumes. the prawns (Nephrops norvegicus) were treated by being immersed in a sodium metabisulphate solution. 50ks bisulphite to 1000 l water. indoors. the whole factory had a constant cold and chest problems as the ventilation system never worked.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
oh god. bleh

that actually reminds me the one bad thing of working as a laborer in heavy industry.. coming home and coughing up black tar at the end of the day (even if you wore a mask)

no wonder tobacco smoking seemed like such a joke to me when i started