Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What instruments do you play?

Brugmansia

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
If you do, name them.

I'm considering learning how to play piano already for a while. Thinking about making my own music in the future.

Oknayd

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
5 Mai 2008
I play some darbuka, djembe, mbira, jew's harp and i just got a new framedrum for my birthday which i'm trying new things with, its called a Def :D

My father tried to teach me guitar when i was young but i was an impossible pupil.
I was attracted to the drums on early age and got a few years lessons when i was 10, stopped at 13 or something, sold my drumkit when we had to move to a smaller place. I picked up percussion again 5 years ago when i saw a cheap darbuka standing in the etalage window of a music store and decided to buy it.

My skills are probably mediocre at best, but i have fun and enjoy playing.
I'm thinking of incorporating some playing in my electronic stuff when i'm on stage.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
I play bongo's, but i truly suck lol!
I geek around on a computer with a syntheseizer, even though i cant really play an advanced melody. Im only used to piecing together sounds, and makin new sounds.
AND, i'm a vinyl/cd Dj....if that counts.
(in my mind it does, depending on the intention/technique.)

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
I play violin since I was 6, I have been learning some new sounds and genres lately like irish reels, jazz, gypsy and bossa nova tones. I am taught classical music in my school.

I have learned to play piano a couple of years ago.

apart from that I play didgeridoo and some percussive instruments. just jamming :D

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
My favorite instrument is the bansuri, because of its crystalline resonance and possibility of multiple intonations at once.

takes about 1 year to get the grasp of the fingering and grip, then your fingers and hand muscles train in the most natural way for a musician.

I also like to play sitar

I also love to play cello and some drums, duduk... shehnai !

Jeniger

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Oct 2008
I play guitar for 14 years now, and in the meanwhile i started to play bass, drums, djembe's, learning bit of violin, keyboard and i arrived in the world of synthesizers, vst's and midi, wich with u can play theoritcal any instrument by keyboard wich is truly amazing

i would encourage everyone to start making music. :D

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
When I was 6 years old I liked the drums in a certain song by Herman van Veen, and one or two years later got myself a second hand drum kit and had lessons for two or three years.

I then sold the drum kit and got myself a Yamaha keyboard/synthesizer. I also tried to repair my dad's old acoustic/electric guitar but never learned to really play notes or chords. On my keyboard (and my mother's piano) I learned to play a couple of tunes and created some simple songs which I recorded.

At age 15 I was asked to become the singer in a rock band. We practiced every week, recorded a three song demo, participated in two 'battle of the bands' (one of which we won) and played some small gigs.

At age 18 I quit the band, and joined the Hare Krishna movement, where I learned to play karatalas (small hand cymbals) and later (when I was in India for three months) the mridanga (two headed clay drum). I also learned to control my voice much more than I had done as a rock singer ("screamer").

Three or four years ago I bought a small acoustic guitar and learned some chords.

One or two years ago I started playing drums again, jamming with some friends from work. Half a year ago I also bought a second hand drum kit again.

A couple of weeks ago I bought an electric guitar (mainly for my children) and last week a bass guitar.

But as far as my own skills are concerned: Jack of all trades, master of none.

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
As a kid I really loved the piano and still do.
My parents still have one and I'm such a dick for not wanting to take lessons, I could be the king of piano by now.
But anyway, still love sitting behind it, making my own minimalist stuff.

Then last year januari I discovered the Acoustic Guitar and that's where most of my time goes into now :p

I also play a bit of electric guitar, mouthharp, kazoo, charango (10 string south-american ukelele originally made from the shell of an armadillo, now made from wood. need to practice more chords on this one)
harmonium (small 3 octave organ), melodica (same as harmonium only 2 octave and you have to blow in the air yourself :p)

Still want to get an Mbira, played it the morning after an aya session and this small but simple instrument made a really big impression on me :D

I'm a bit like CM: Jack of all trades, master of none

But I really am practicing a lot of acoustic guitar, really planning on getting good and buying one with pre-amplification and a portable amplifier to play the streets :mrgreen:

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Space-is-the-Place a dit:
My parents still have one and I'm such a dick for not wanting to take lessons, I could be the king of piano by now.
I've got similar feelings about never learning how to play keyboards and piano (and guitar etc.), but then I do accept that perhaps I wasn't meant to be a musician. But it is this regret that motivated me to supply my children with all types of instruments. Public music lessons start in September, so they have a couple of months to choose which instrument they want to learn to play.

Then last year januari I discovered the Acoustic Guitar and that's where most of my time goes into now :p
I know it takes a lot of time, that's why I want my children to practice now, so when they're older they know how to play, and can spend more time reading good books, studying, exercising, tripping and engaging in other meaningful activities.

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:
but then I do accept that perhaps I wasn't meant to be a musician.
I refuse to accept this :p
That's why I'm playing my fingers off :mrgreen:

But it is this regret that motivated me to supply my children with all types of instruments. Public music lessons start in September, so they have a couple of months to choose which instrument they want to learn to play.
Awesome! The earlier they start, the better they will be :D

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I refuse to accept this :p
And rightly so. Dave Wyndorf, singer of Monster Magnet, learned to play guitar when he was 28, and had a very successful career.

Jamapricotica

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Déc 2008
This post has been edited by me, Jamapricotica, for the simple reason that I am attempting to cleanup and/or improve my presence on this forum.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause.

Illegalsmile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
24 Avr 2009
i can make music on the guitar
piano
drums
i write and sing but i dont feel thats ready to publicly display
i used to have genres that i liked to play but now i feel im moving to the next level... i just dont know what it is yet

self taught on all of them
and i play left handed on a right handed guitar
i was told i wouldn't be able to play everything but i have yet to run into a problem so i keep practicing

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I'm hearing this for the first time myself right now. My friend Alex uploaded part of our recent jam session. He's playing guitar, I'm playing drums and other types of percussion (including the Indian mridanga). Recorded in my living room with the lights off and the vaporizer on.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~erased/confiture.mp3

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
i have a djembé and a Jew's harp, i can't really play on both, but i sometimes try to make some music with it.

and i mess around with fruity loops now and then

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I've got similar feelings about never learning how to play keyboards and piano (and guitar etc.), but then I do accept that perhaps I wasn't meant to be a musician. [/quote:2yb7w4cn]

When I was 6 years old I convinced my parents to buy a piano for me. Wasn't easy, because it's a pretty steep investment... but I was lucky and finally got one a year later or so. I was taking lessons for the next almost 13 years, and I wasn't even that bad - but then I realized I wasn't born to be a musician. There were people around me who were real musicians, for example one friend of mine was hardly able to play the piano, but he saw one and started improvising, composing - there was just this flow of musical creativity that never happened when I played.
I was okay at playing stuff that others had composed, but that wasn't good enough for me. I finally lost interest in just playing sheet music and I saw I was never going to be a real musician, so I quit.

I also tried playing the electric guitar for a while, but quit out of the same reasons.

However learning to play an instrument is a good thing for kids, even if they are not gifted musicians.

tisanemaster

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Mar 2009
I've been playing the bass for years now.

I also love mixing, sampling and composing on the computer. I've been doing it since I was about 14. But I can't really do it right now because I'm still waiting to get a MIDI console and/or a sampler and/or a synth.
(Taking Cubase, Reason and Protools night classes next year with my summer money :D )

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
tryptonaut a dit:
but then I realized I wasn't born to be a musician. There were people around me who were real musicians
When I said I wasn't meant to be a musician, I meant that I've always felt more attracted to reading and writing. I've never felt inclined, with some exceptions, to invest my available free time in mastering an instrument. I love music with a passion, but more as a consumer than a performer.

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
My friend Alex uploaded part of our recent jam session.
...sed/confiture.mp3
LOL :p

tryptonaut a dit:
but then I realized I wasn't born to be a musician. There were people around me who were real musicians, for example one friend of mine was hardly able to play the piano, but he saw one and started improvising, composing - there was just this flow of musical creativity that never happened when I played.

Well, for me it was the other way around.
I was always surrounded with people who could play an instrument and took lessons and stuff, but I could just make up my own stuff, but not play anything else, so I always felt like I sucked.
Untill one time I sat behind the piano and made up some melody and the guy who owned that piano asked:"What is it? This sounds beautiful"
so I told him I was just fucking around, so he told me to fuck around some more :p
and then I discovered I always had musical inspiration in me.

**Litte side note: I might not get to be the best musician ever, I just do it for the :heart:

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
I might not get to be the best musician ever, I just do it for the Heart

that's the best reason of course :D i do it partially because i love it and partially because i'd go bonkers if i didn't. i always had music popping into my head so i just started trying to find ways to get the ideas out with whatever was lying around. the creative process has got to be one of the most psychedelic things there is, if you go deep enough :D

Mostly I like improvised jamming, I'll play synth and percussion,aside from that I do stuff on computer. I play piano occasionally as well (my background is piano)