Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What does Metal mean to you?

• Auteur de la discussion Guest
  • Date de début

Rymmen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
I wonder what it is about the psytrance scene that has such an appreciation of psychedelics substances, and why those that have tripped with that music develope an appreciation for it.

I'm speaking out of observation of a few of my friends from Mexico. I don't know it if it's so in many other places.

tryptonaut

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I've been listening to metal exclusively when I was young (from 13 to 16 or so). I was looking for harder and harder music and finally ended up with Death/Black metal. There were some really really good albums that I still listen to sometimes, like Gothic by Paradise Lost, Ceremony of Opposites by Samael and Tales from the Thousand Lakes by Amorphis. But somehow the whole death/black metal scene in the early/mid nineties became more and more a parody of itself with all their badass satanistic lyrics and the music was mostly shit. The last death/black metal album I bought was 1992 - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism by Immortal. After listening to it a few times all I thought was "they can't seriously sell this on a cd!" It was just bad...

At about the same time ('92/'93) I was introduced (no, I introduced myself - that's a difference I want to make!) to cannabis, met other people who were listening to other kinds of music, and started opening my mind.
The point where I really started listening to all kinds of electronic music was after I had first tried X in '95. Suddenly the whole trance/house/drum'n'bass was making sense to me ;)

Today I listen to all different kinds of music (except the crap they play on the radio).

I wonder what it is about the psytrance scene that has such an appreciation of psychedelics substances, and why those that have tripped with that music develope an appreciation for it.
I guess that's because psychedelic music is made by psychonauts for psychonauts. I mean listen to sphongle while you're tripping hard - I often thought no human being can make such perfect tripping music ;)

Swelen

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Sept 2007
Metal means a lot to me, i listen to metal since i was 16.
I listen to CANNIBAL CORPSE, CARCASS, MY DYING BRIDE, OLD MAN'S CHILD, TIAMAT, IMMORTAL, EMPEROR, DISSECTION, MARDUK, ULVER, DIMMU BORGIR ( i'm going to dimmu borgir concert this saturday at Z-7 ) and ETC... HAIL... :D

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
Lion a dit:
And btw, i don't do drugs. So don't say I've "taken" something. peace.

HOW DID YOU GET HERE?

Metal was my first musical love and it changed my perception of music, since then I've broadened my musical taste (cannabis does alter musical perception) but nowadays I don't seek more metal, it seems the olds are enough for now...

Are there any TOOL fans around??

Adrenochromatik

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
21 Avr 2006
Are there any TOOL fans around??

yesssssssssss !!!! Very good in live ... great show but strange.

And btw, i don't do drugs. So don't say I've "taken" something. peace.

:D :D :D

The best metal band i have ever see on stage is PRONG ......

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
the best concert I've been to was opeth in slovenia. oh my god. this was epic. in every way and aspect

guys, you need to listen through a bit of opeth. you won't regret it. those guys are virtuos :)

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
misery u been at metalcamp too?

on topic: woah, metal made me who i am. I started listening to it when i was 15. power mostly. then i discovered gothic metal (sirenia, the sins of thy beloved, draconian, ...). whole sadness/depression kinda mood it took me to was amazing. so i came to doom. this music is amazing. i like to think of it as a psychoterapy. catharsis and shit.

i still like some good doom/gothic/black metal. but only sometimes. i feel more like old rock, jazz, dub and easy stuff lately. too much drugs i guess...

man, forgot to mention stoner doom... perfect tripping music for (ex)metalheads. try electric wizard:
http://www.myspace.com/electricwizarddorsetdoom or sleep: http://www.myspace.com/rifffilledland

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
sopor a dit:
yup, two or three times :)
last year I couldn't, but I am going to be there this year, that's for sure. even if the line-up isn't good. I love that place down there :) this is one of the most awesome festivals.

just listening through electric wizard, your description sounds funny :)

edit: fabulous stuff. would love to see them live at the metalcamp :D

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
:D :D :D

G

Invité
maynard's lyrics are some of the most profund ideas that i've ever came across. the lyrics for "jimmy", "rosetta stoned", or "aenima", between so many others, really makes my day. and his voice is perhaps the most versatile that i know. perhaps you might know that his album lateralus has been studied mathematically with amazing conclusions ? i really think they composed some of the most amazing and deep works that ever been made my mankind. just my opinion, btw. tool is one band that you either love, or hate. or that you don't know :)

edit: i once read an interview with maynard, and he was asked why the band name was that, and no other, by which he responded: "we're your tool, your blotter of acid" it is meant to make you think. and they don't give the answers. you dig, you find the treasure. and as a tool, they can be used so many ways. and they feature samples from bill hicks, terence mckenna and timothy leary. they are the summit of all art, IMHO. i studied music for 8 years and i don't know anything that even comes close to it. perhaps i haven't dug enough....but i serioulsy doubt that anything would be better.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
I totally understand! I have a cousin who is studying music and is really good, he once was at my house and I played some Tool and I noticed he was like counting something so I asked him and he said he was trying to get the time of the song or something like that, but he couldn't and explained to me (I love music but can't even read tabs and stuff like that) that these guys must have studied a lot to make that kind of music :)

About the lyricsss......... aah I can't even explain it objectively since the ideas in their songs have actually integrated with and affected my personality in so many levels... hehe, but just for naming a few, I really like hush (I can say what I want to!), opiate, sober, disgustipated (life feeds on life feeds on life...), stinkfist, 46&2, aenema, the patient (I was obsessed with this song), schism, lateralus (ride the spiral!!), right in two (silly monkeys :D)...

I have many things to say, I could just go on and on.. :)

I'd like to discuss song meanings and more of this, perhaps we should open a thread??

PS: do you know if it's true that "h." is about Maynard's son?

edit: were are the t. leary and mckenna samples?

G

Invité
the samples are on the "thrid eye", from salival. i think in the studio version in "aenima" it is the hick's samples.
i always thought that "h." was a song about heroin, but perhaps it is another matter, i do not know.
i also enjoy the

ride the spiral to the end
you just might go where no one's been

i don't even know how to start interpreting their songs. i'm glad i found a tool fan in this forum :)

Gratefully_dead

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Mai 2007
I gotta say I'm not big on metal these days I used to be a pretty big metalhead (I dig old school acid rock and indie these days) but there is nothing better to see live than a metal band running around in the mosh constantly beign shoved and shoving back it's intense I saw A.F.I (more emo i realize but still had a sweet crowd) and I saw a show with Killswitch engage, and Bury your Dead and it was one of the best concerts I've been to which is saying a lot as I've seen Dylan, Steve Miller Band, Alice Cooper, Frampton, April Wine, White Stripes, and George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelics :lol: and more but that's mostly where I like my metal..live I dont find it good music for sitting in front of the computer or hanging out in my room

The band that got me started on metal back in the day and is still my favourite band is IRON MAIDEN thats the only kind of metal my friends Iron fucking Maiden also amazing live

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
oh you're right, the "think for yourself question authority" is from Dr. Leary :)

but where's McKenna?

About the meaning of songs I've seen people going on about it and never coming to a conclusion, hehe although there are some songs that the point is rather concrete and poignant.

hey do you have any of those rare covers they do live, like strangehold??

Maiden is coming to my country next year!! they're indeed the kings of metal, period.

and yeah, metal it's not something to listen all the time, different genres communicate different emotions, I'm listening to everything I can get my ears to at the moment, which is the way to go in my opinion, I've always disliked those guys that subscribe to a certain kind of music and become very proud of it, saying everything else is shit and so on.

edit: damn I love youtube, I found strangehold there! hey daytripper have you seen this?
:D

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
Wow, you saw George Clinton and the Parliament Funkadelics...
That should be pretty amazing :eek:

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
misery a dit:
sopor a dit:
yup, two or three times :)
last year I couldn't, but I am going to be there this year, that's for sure. even if the line-up isn't good. I love that place down there :) this is one of the most awesome festivals.

just listening through electric wizard, your description sounds funny :)

edit: fabulous stuff. would love to see them live at the metalcamp :D

I ve been to all MCs. I live 20 km from Tolmin :)

IMO there is no way electric wizard would play on MC... :cry: to underground.

But I just found Roadburn Festival. http://www.last.fm/event/231304

Incredible lineup. Celtic Frost, Isis, Boris, Jesu, Current 93, Cult of Luna, Electric Wizard, OM, Nadja, Acid Mothers Guru and stuff like this. And it is in Holland. Must go.

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
I saw george clinton performing too, that's just fucking awesome. We want the funk!

Nonetheless it scares the shit out of me how superficially a lot of guys here judge metal music, I mean I know it's tough to appreciate it, but sayig shit like "they all suck" isn't really open-minded.

And I see people writing that it's simple music, which I think is most definately untrue(take Lamb of God, quite technical music). And besides since when does it matter if it's easy or hard to play, what's important is if you like to listen to it!

And about Cradle of Filth, I must admit musically it's isn't very innovating but you should check dani davey's lyrics sometime, utterly poetic and very skillful english.

I was very into metal couple of years ago, now I don't even care which genre music is. So what i'm saying is I understand if people dislike metal, but there is a difference between not liking stuff and being an asshole about stuff you don't like.

Btw: metal can be usefull music, see it as a way to output every non-zen feeling(listen to it when mad, afterwards you'll feel more calm about it, at that moment switch to CSNY or Led Zeppelin or something to help soothe your mind).

toadlicker

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
1 Fev 2006
i love metal!!!!!!! especially devil driver.
i feel that if you're listening to a band and half way through the first song you want to kick a puppy or slap a nun then and only then are you listening to metal. not to be confused with wanting to put your head in a wood chipper half way through the first song, that would be techno.
just like wanting to jab a screwdriver into your brain 1/16 of the way into the first note of a song would be the gratefuldead.
metal is the beautiful release of pent up aggression.
plus it really drives your country music listening boss out of his mind, that in and of it'sself is a beautiful thing.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
i used to be a metalhead, now i only play metal myself. (i have a bad ass bc-rich guitar :p )

bands: merciful fate, slayer, accept, kalmah (they're great!), cob (but somehow they're "overdone"),....

i stopped listening to metal because every new group i heared sounded like something i already knew.

do some reading on the mayhem vs. burzum history. sick and funny!
btw, varg vikernes may be a nazi sob, he's a musical genious!

\m/ \m/

B.C.RICH+WARLOCK+TETE+WIDOW+SERIE+BRONZE.JPG