Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What does Metal mean to you?

• Auteur de la discussion Guest
  • Date de début

Lion

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
the Death Angel Stuff is easy. Less is more. Def with this song.

But what about Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, ...
Fuck Hendrix man! He can't play that shit if he was still alive now.

Hendrix was a pioneer, he "invented" what others now have perfected.

G

Invité
Well she listened to Meshuggah and Textures (Dutch Metal band with very technical pieces)
But she was talking more like what I said at the "in context" part.

Also Korn riffs are relatively easy to play, the power comes from the sound, not the notes in particular.

These are just random examples I can think of.

Dillinger Escape Plan!!!!!!!

G

Invité
Lion a dit:
But what about Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, ...
Fuck Hendrix man! He can't play that shit if he was still alive now.

Hendrix was a pioneer, he "invented" what others now have perfected.

Steve Vai was once a good guitarist when he was playing with Zappa, but Satriani and Vai only play gay ass technical stuff, it doesn't have soul.
Hendrix has soul!
And I bet he would've played a lot more challenging and soulful stuff than those wankers that call themselves G3.....

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
None off em is what i call Metal. Textures is OK..
Meshuggah is experimental shit, DEP is core.

G

Invité
For me Dillinger Escape Plan is where Metal gets interesting :)

Also Textures, I love the technical tricks in Metal.
The rythm flows and non-linear techniques

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
It's core.
Has nothing to do with metal...

G

Invité
The instruments/vocals shure sound the same though...

It's called Mathcore, because the rhythems have such "methematical structures"
Very technical rhythems.

I like Mathrock, like the Mars Volta (post-At the Drive-inn)
But that deffinitely has nothing to do with Metal.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
pastyputridpulp a dit:
misery a dit:
I really like(d) metal. Now I'm going for breakcore. sometimes I think I am just looking for even harder and faster music. and somehow this is true, I'm a very calm person myself, but my music doesn't reflect this in any way :)
the harder the music the better. I love the mindbending speeds of breakcore. it really gives me rushes :D for me, this is the most euphoric music.

Seems that we have some musical taste in common.
Did you ever listen to those releases from bong-ra ?

Bong Ra -sick sick sick

Bong Ra - grindcrusher

And Drumcorps is quite nice too
http://www.myspace.com/drumc0rps

In fact it's those releases which made me rethink about (grind?)metal although I'm still a lot more into ambiant electronica, glitch, drill'n bass, breakcore and idm.

To those who thinks that metal whatever it is, is just some noisy, silly, ridiculous crap : do not take it too seriously that's the key :)
of course I know bong-ra :D he's genious

but drumcorps is even more genious. I saw him life about 2 weeks ago (even had a small talk with him :)), and I am going to see him tommorow as aaron spectre :D :D :D this will fucking rule :D and on october 26th and 27th I am going to be at the elevate, a electronic music festival, with a huge breakcore floor :D omg I can't wait.

I don't like all that old thrash stuff. I think it's way too boring. I really love that technical stuff with all the growling and so on :)
especially the german-speaking death metal/grindcore bands are great, it's a completely different feeling when you are able to recognize some words :p
Japanische Kampfhörspiele (Japanese Fighting-radioplays) are brilliant! their music is cool, and their lyrics are even better. they aren't about gore and stuff (ok, some are), but critical of society.
here is one video by them, verpackt in plastik (packed in plastic):
or this one is very good too (actually the first time I heard it ^^): http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ami339xI74M& ... ed&search=

well, jack slater are very good too, their lyrics are funny too, but not critical.

one of the very best bands metal ever has brought us, is OPETH! I once saw them stoned on the metalcamp in slovenia live, and ohh myy god, it was one of the most amazing concerts I have ever been to. They are true geniouses. please, do yourself a favour and check them out. their frontman sings AND growls so fucking good, it's paranormal.

and metal may be one of the most hard things to play. I mean, metal got the best drummers over all, you have to be very good and fast with the guitar, and be honest: growling isn't easy. all those singer only sing because they can't growl :lol:

you have to explain lion.. so death-metal is metal but grindcore isn't? mathcore is not metal? well, then thrash-metal isn't metal neither.

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
There are way too much differences why it's not called metal.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Metal or no metal, I love(d) these bands:

Hawkwind
Monster Magnet
Atomic Bitchwax
Soundgarden
Mr. Bungle
Faith No More
Metallica
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nirvana
Rage Against The Machine
Korn
Marilyn Manson
Queens Of The Stone Age
Tool
Mars Volta

Yesterday I saw a video of Coal Chamber on TV: Korn meets Slipknot meets Marilyn Manson meets the Prodigy: absolutely nothing original about their music and appearance. And I'm not saying that in some Emo-bashing fashion, it was just too damn obvious.

I also lived with two black metal fans for a couple of months, so heard a lot of Dimmu Borgir etc. And that stuff is just too fast and over the top for me, but their album covers are damn trippy!

post-16798-1137721505.jpg

Listening to Shpongle right now though. :)

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Back when i was like around 16 i used to like what you call poser slipknot like crap now. Why did i like it? To be different (also from people like you are now dissing slipknot and stuff). Also live slipknot DOES bring alot of energy but w/e.
Now I'm mostly into hiphop and reggae.
Names?

Pete Philly and Perquisite
Opgezwolle
Kanye West
Seeed
Gentleman
Black Uhuru
and basically all american/dutch hiphop. Don't seem to like british stuff too much, the streets are ok but dizzee rascal doesn't seem to be my thing.

Tigereyelovestheganja

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
Slipknot and that "hardcore" stuff isn't real metal.
Dimmu Borgir, Decapitated, Deicide, Pantera, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth = metal.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
Tigereyelovestheganja a dit:
Slipknot and that "hardcore" stuff isn't real metal.
Dimmu Borgir, Decapitated, Deicide, Pantera, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth = metal.
I'd rather listen to slipknot than dimmu borgir. in fact I had the cance to see them (dimmu), but I went to the river and took a bath (about 2 in the morning :)) I didn't regret that, it was wonderful
metalcamp rules! the best festival ever. anyone been there? I wasn't able to go there this year but I am going to be there for sure next year :D it takes place at a really beautiful place, and the best thing is that you can go and take a bath in the soça river.

I once saw slipknot live at an austrian festival. but I had to leave the concert area because of all the kiddies going crazy. I'm wondering why their music attracts so much idiots. and I have to say that they have good songs. wait and bleed is good for example. long time ago I heard that one, but I'm kinda sure that it was good :p

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
It's not my kind of music but don't think these people are sick, just give themself a image to shock society, also not my way to protest against society, often I feel the lyrics are dark and aggresive. But everyone his own business.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"You can not compare this to Johnny Winter... "

I just did !!! But on another level its like comparing shit with chocolate .

"Fuck Hendrix man! He can't play that shit if he was still alive now."
"Hendrix was a pioneer, he "invented" what others now have perfected."

Grow up dickhead . Can you play the guitar ??? And compairing Steve Vai, Joe Satriani to hendrix is stupid . You must be tone deaf , get a pair of ears and stop talking shit . I havent got anything against any form of metal or anyones personal taste , or lack of it , Listen to some of the recordings of hendrix playing johny be good and tell me who can play faster and better than that .

CaduceusMercurius i like MR.Bungle , he is good but wierd !!! Thats why i like it . I think you and most of the others are talking about music and not like some of the un-musical crap that someone who thinks he is a "music expert" here is . Music has to have something musical about it , not just be loud and fast .

Talking about musical "taste" is like talking about politics or religeon mega stupid .

Anyway that was my last post on the subject , its got realy boring . Bye Bye !!!

forgetoz

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Nov 2006
Metal, therefore I am.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
GOD a dit:
I`m waiting for the Led Zep concert in november , they might be grandpas but they dont have to make a loud and fast shity NOISE because they cant realy play like the others

yes of course hendrix, led zeppelin, black sabbath and all those old guys are good. nobody says that they aren't. but if there is somebody who says that he likes thrash metal more than hendrix it isn't the end of the world or is it? :)
edit: just read what lion posted. ok, ^^.
whatever you've taken lion, I recommend you not to do it again :p or at least don't start posting here in that mood... stop sniveling because somebody has a different taste than you >.>
"my favourite artist is better than yours."
"no mine's better!"
"no mine's better!"
:crybaby:

GOD a dit:
Music has to have something musical about it , not just be loud and fast.
maybe you feel that this music (whatever we are talking about now. I don't like thrash neither) isn't musical because you aren't "open" for it. I mean you can't tell anyone to listen this and that music and force him to fully understand and "decode" the music. I would never listen the same music nowadays if I didn't smoke weed, because it really makes you open to new music, to finally understand the rythms and all that stuff behind it. when you listen a kind of music, or even a single track for the first time it will sound plain. the more and more you listen it you might find and percept things you didn't get the first time you listened to the song. in german I'd say "hineinhören".
you love your guitar solos, I (or we?) love my/our mindbending speeds and rushes. I mean, in the same manner you call thrash noise (you apperently never came in touch with breakcore :p) anybody else could say that hendrix' solos are nothing but tootling and playing silly around (which it isn't (just to be safe..)).

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
GROW UP DICKHEAD?
Fuck you, i don't no one telling me what to do lol.
I thought you were more mature then that, GOD.

Yeah i can play the guitar. And not just thrash. I have a wide variaty of styles.

And who said he likes Thrash Metal more then Hendrix.

And btw, i don't do drugs. So don't say I've "taken" something. peace.

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
Lion a dit:
GROW UP DICKHEAD?
Fuck you, i don't no one telling me what to do lol.
I thought you were more mature then that, GOD.

Yeah i can play the guitar. And not just thrash. I have a wide variaty of styles.

And who said he likes Thrash Metal more then Hendrix.

And btw, i don't do drugs. So don't say I've "taken" something. peace.
the irony is killing me.

edit: exactly how old are you?

G

Invité
GOD a dit:
Talking about musical "taste" is like talking about politics or religeon mega stupid.

Hehe, well, not really stupid, but the arguments can go on forever, why someone likes this better than anything else bla bla bla...

I always get in these discussions and I love it, usually other people lose their minds before I do :mrgreen:

And "Slipknot and that hardcore shit isn't metal" is bullshit...

It clearly is Metal, apperently not Metal that is apreciated much here, but it is Metal nonetheless...

Maybe not to you, but to anyone else, or to people who know something about music it is.

Not to diss anyone, everyone should have their own opinion, but when it comes to categorising, you just have to live with the fact it's like how it is, or how it's commonly accepted, given a name, labeled... bladiebladiebla :D