Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What do you do for a living?

druglessdouglas

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
douglass what happened with the marine biology thing? I think it'd be great, it was my dream job when I was a child. I imagined myself in the sea checking on whales and diving for data and stuff

i started the course a few years ago but had to drop out due to my back problem. i couldnt sit down properly without spasm. ill be doing another year and a half in my home town then moving to another city to finish the course. the city ill be moving to is hellish IMO so ive been puting it off. its something ive always wanted to do also, though its not as glamorous as it sounds

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
im recieving sickness benefits at the moment due to a long term back problem (its better now, dont tell anybody)

My dad is in the exact same boat! He just ran a marathon, so I don't think hes fit to go back yet :D Good way to beat the system!

peace & love

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
Studentwise in britain I'm doing biology, with a focus on microbiology and marine biology.

Here in the USA I'm doing more "fun" stuff - Spanish, philosophy, fishery science; (part math models part fishing trips), and a food and drug class.

Marine Biology is great if you actually get to do some hands on stuff, but its not always as romantic as people think: in reality its usually a mix between geography, (non linear) mathematics, with a bit of biology added for good measure... - 1 week data collection in the bahamas = 2 months of statistics and write ups: still worth every second though *sigh* :)

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
Pariah have you had the oportunity to scuba dive? if your doing marine biology you will have to dive at some point. it was scuba that got me into psychedelics, in a round about way

every psychonaut should scuba dive at least once

this is the MV Portnapier. ive no digital photos but ive dived here 6-7 times. ill post a link to it. in this photo you can see our earliest known ancestor. sea squirt (tunicate) larvae have the first proto spine (notochord) and are the ancestor of all vertebrates.

this is a good story and worth a read:
good music too

http://www.shipwrecksofscotland.com/hms_port_napier.htm

(chemists may want to note there are chunks of white phos. in wrecks like this everywhere if you can get it home :wink: )

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Hey guys, i don't work for a living yet. I'll be graduating in Business studies. This is my last year, and after graduation i plan to join my dad's business and get some work experience + some $$

Peace

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
"Pariah have you had the oportunity to scuba dive?"

Not certified yet - I'm hoping to do it as a class in spring, all I've done *in* the water so far is snorkeling work. I'd love to go wreck diving or catch my own scallops though - something the supervisor at my old job used to do every now and then.

Julespsych

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
3 Nov 2008
I am an English teacher (but I only do that three times a week) and a soon-to-graduate psychotherapist.
I am on my final semester, scared shitless about what I'm going to do next year.
Guess I better start looking for another job.

Oh, and psychology isn't always about statistics, and following DSM codes and stuff like that, or at least not in my country.
I fall into a line of psychotherapists called transpersonal psychotherapists.

much love to all.
Jules

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Julespsych a dit:
I am an English teacher (but I only do that three times a week) and a soon-to-graduate psychotherapist.
I am on my final semester, scared shitless about what I'm going to do next year.
Guess I better start looking for another job.

Oh, and psychology isn't always about statistics, and following DSM codes and stuff like that, or at least not in my country.

much love to all.
Jules

Welcom Julespsych ;)

I heard a from a already from a view people that psychology was a really difficult study. How hard is it to study psychology, is it really that difficult? I wanna know, because i am really interested in these fields of studies.

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
Welcome to the forum jules, transpersonal psychotherapy sounds fascinating.

Is there much demand for that area inparticular? did the psychotherapy spark the interest in altered states, or the other way round?

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
Hi Jules, where do you study?

braha_kahn

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Sept 2008
I work for the gouvernment (gettin'paranoid now? :D)

lol

nothing to worry, I just work @ the ICT/Helpdesk of a gouvernmental institution! :)

Now following informatics in eveningschool (three evenings in the week) so I can become a programmer in a year or three (if everything goes well) :D

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Julespsych a dit:

I respect that. In my country only the medicalized version of psychotherapy gets proper financial support...

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
here too. there is psychiatry vs. psychology, the one comes after the medical faculty, the other after the philosophical.

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
Right now living off my savings. Soon to be working in IT again, as a project manager.

Meanwhile studying International Migrations.

Maybe some day I could combine the two and help create wonderful projects that unite all the ppl in the world and bring more balance to earth :wink:

JimmyJohn

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
Used to be an infographist/cad man (very unsatisfactory)
4 months ago i started setting up an export company dealing in "commerce equitable" (sorry, can't remember the exact English terminology now, but i do think it's something like "fair trade". please confirm if you can.)
This is made even more necessary by the emergence of the financial/economical crisis.
I heartedly hope it works, of course for me, but also for the few families this would greatly help in the country i live in.
So please, wish me luck and pray for the success of the business.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
I hope it works out, it is great what you are doing!

I wish you huge success :D

JimmyJohn

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
Psychoid, thanks for your positive support.
I am now focusing on the european market.
If all goes according to plan, in the next months/years, i will need to look for new markets. And obviously Canada/USA has the highest potential i can dream of.
I dont know what you are studying, but who knows, i may in the future be glad to get help from you.
True relationship/lobbying is what is needed.
Dont be mislead, the aim i am pursuing is not to get rich (not even me), just to get a decent living for all the people involed in this new form of business.
More, my main aim is to fight to the best of our abilities the crazy/stupid/destructive system that has been running the world for too long.
Be patient and lets keep in touch.
Lets hope for a brighter future.

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
Interesting jimmy, I wish you all the luck you need, what country are you in?

The term may be fair trade indeed, will you specialize in a typical kind of business? Agricultural products for example?

Dreamsters

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
23 Sept 2008
I do general residential contracting. Mainly roofs. It's a real shitty job but the money and benefits are amazing. It's given me plenty of time to learn, see some different places, and try and figure out what I want to go to school for.

magickpencil

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
15 Mai 2008
i'd like to quickly follow up on my last post in this thread
figure modeling is the best job i've ever had and am likely to ever have