Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What do you do for a living?

mysticwarrior

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
17 Août 2007
skrudge a dit:
just graduated -and starting november third as a flash and motion designer

I'l have seen some of your works on your webpage, and i must say that your good at it :) I could never do that with flash....

At this moment i have no study and also no job, i get my money from the government while i surf on psychonaut.....

But i am planning to start study soon, so i hope i am gonna finish this one.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
im not really a hit-man. i had to give that up. im recieving sickness benefits at the moment due to a long term back problem (its better now, dont tell anybody). i was going to go back to university this month to study marine biology but i never got it together. ill still have the place next year (or the one after) so im in no hurry. ive got it too easy at the moment. its a hard life :lol:

mountain-girl

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
9 Mai 2008
student, i work at an herbal medicine apocathery and at a coffee shop and part time at a publishing company-i like all my jobs, but its way overwhelming :wink: i think im much more suited for being a proffesional bum lol

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I graduated about two months ago in philosophy.
Turns out there are no jobs in that direction whatsoever. Never expected that. :lol:

I am currently working in a bookshop and it is working out for me, I like finding the perfect book for every customer. But that's only three days a week... the rest is filled with useless crap and trying to get academics to do psychedelic research.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
what are you planning to do in future, fork?

Did you like philosophy as a faculty? How is it?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I write text (news items, product descriptions) for websites and I have a small store which sells herbs, vitamins and sports supplements, as well as natural cosmetics, books and gemstones. I recently inherited some money which allows me to continue the store for a while, otherwise I would have had to quit.

The text writing thing used to be a 32 hour a week job (with an additional 19 hours in the shop) until a couple of weeks ago. I now spend about 8 hours a week doing that, and 32 hours a week in my store.

Forkbender, in which bookstore do you work?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I don't really have any plans. I have a general feeling of the direction I'm going in, but it hasn't materialized yet.

Philosophy was great while it lasted, I learned a lot that cannot be put into words. Right now I have the feeling I am done with any system of thought for a while. I have my own personal ideas about things and continue to test them against my experience as much as possible, but I'm not interested anymore in philosophies as such. My interests have shifted more to psychology, religion & mysticism and history, which were the themes I developed in writing my thesis, which was about the influence of religion on the philosophy of Michel Foucault. Philosophy needs to be practical to be worthwhile, but the way it is taught is very theoretical (at least at the universities I attended).

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Interesting. My plans are to study psychology and philosophy as a minor. I am not sure anyway. Maybe I will just go to a monastery in China and stay there for a while...

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
Pariah a dit:
"I'm shift-working in an analytic laboratory right now"

Hehe unlucky, I used to do HPLC and NIRs which could get a bit tedious - what techniques / machines inparticular are you using?

most of the analyses are done by titration. I do some by hand, and some are done by machines.

what do you guys study? would be interesting.

Nomada

Inscrit
4 Juil 2008
Forkbender a dit:
Philosophy needs to be practical to be worthwhile, but the way it is taught is very theoretical (at least at the universities I attended).

Same here. they don't complete the circle some lots of times.

Carebear

Banni
Inscrit
11 Juil 2008
{the past}

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
I paint pretty pictures.

Thanks to my hundred grand art degree.
GO SCHOOL!!!

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
restin a dit:
Interesting. My plans are to study psychology and philosophy as a minor. I am not sure anyway. Maybe I will just go to a monastery in China and stay there for a while...

psychology is demoted to statistics in a lot of universities. Follow the rules of the DSM. I wouldn't be able to keep it up.

Dervish

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
11 Juil 2008
I'm a clinical endocrinologist in a medical faculty.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Brewmaster a dit:
I paint pretty pictures.

Thanks to my hundred grand art degree.
GO SCHOOL!!!

Big ups! Do you showcase your work online?

And soon that hundred grand will be worth next to nothing. :wink:

aryaman

Inscrit
29 Sept 2008
endocrinologist...it's really charming me.

I'm a student,juggler-equilibrist for make some money sometimes.
I've planned for 5 years to continue with a circus school,but last week I started to ask me if I really want to...

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Im a student. Second year of biochemistry. Three more to go :roll:
I don't really have a job. Sometimes I work in my uncle's sports shop.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
psychology is demoted to statistics in a lot of universities. Follow the rules of the DSM. I wouldn't be able to keep it up.

mhm I am not into statistics either. Nevertheless here, I believe there is first a basic introduction of all aspects of psychology and later on a specialization. If I remember right, here sociology works mostly with statistics and not psychology (at the university of Zurich)

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
douglass what happened with the marine biology thing? I think it'd be great, it was my dream job when I was a child. I imagined myself in the sea checking on whales and diving for data and stuff :)

summary: I started industrial engineering but after a reevaluation of my life I decided it was not my thing, so I switched to mechanical engineering but for the wrong reasons :? I thought about money and time considerations before what I actually enjoyed doing (switching between these careers doesn't delayed you much because of the similarities) so then after a re-reevaluation I decided I'd do what I really wanted to, which is working with computers and the internet, so I started computer engineering, this time not switching because I was in 7 out of 10 semesters and the similarities this time were trivial, and so now I study both at the same time (my uni only charges me ME). If things go as planned I graduate from ME in a year and from CE in another...

I know I may give the impression to some people that I don't know what the hell to do with my life but you know I've actually thought about my decisions a lot and I think that is what's best in the long term. I guess it all comes down to the fact that I could never ever picture myself working in some job I secretly hate. What's the point? I'd kill myself.