Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What college majors and careers would appeal to a psychonaut

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
"Hmmm yes but I never heard of it as a study subject. It isn't available where I live."

Its doable in the USA - .

R. Schultes lectured ethnobotany at Harvard.

plus, I studied Plants and Civilisation last semester here in SC.

I'd just say that an overwhelming thirst for learning is more important than the actual subject, and I agree totally with spice - I was really looking forward to Plants and Civilisation (pretty much ethnobotany), but the lecturer didn't have a clue, and just read factoids from a sheet every lesson :'( she'd never heard of iboga, salvia div., Ayahuasca. and lumped rivea in with datura... the list goes on :roll: I never thought someone could make ethnobotany boring.

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
The other side is travel to places where the indiginous people do it and do it with them , learn from them .

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
Ethnobotany or antroplogy.. Maybe mycology if your interested in the scientific aspects of mushrooms only..

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
You don't have to take a degree to study mushrooms, or all those herbs that get you high. You can just study them as a hobby.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Anthropology I hear is nuts, if you truly understand its implications... It's the philosophy and science of humans. (If you get the right teacher)

Chemistry/physics can take you far down the rabbit hole...

Psychology will let you analyze yourself and others, this is never a good thing for me, I had to give this up.

Math... If you can read it, it's amazing.

I personally am chem major. Had to take the decisions chem, or therapeutical psychology. I decided to go down the physical universe's rabbit hole - to the electron :).

have fun and never get into something for money, take a class where you CAN get a job, but its very interesting. (i.e. dont take a major with no job, and don't take a major with only the job)

silv

Inscrit
2 Jan 2007
I chose to do artificial intelligence, it has psychology as well as philosophy and liguistics and computer sciences. For me a very good combination!

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
toogoodforyou a dit:
You don't have to take a degree to study mushrooms, or all those herbs that get you high. You can just study them as a hobby.

of course you don't, but we live in a system of 9 to 5 jobs... So you better take a job/study of which you think is interesting :)

SnakeEyes

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
i'm studying psychology and the bachelor part isn't so interesting for a psychonaut, especially since it has become so scientific that it leaves no place for any subjects that are somehow special and that can't be "proved with certainty", but i discovered there's a master program in transpersonal and consciousness psychology, that seems very appealing, so i'm planning on doing that later. That program only exists in UK and the USA as far as i know. However, there are also many other directions one could take in psychology (even more in psychiatry, but unfortunately studying medicine isn't for anybody). For example, there's a lucid dreaming institute in the USA, where they do research on lucid dreams. Unfortunately, many things only exist there.
That's for my part, otherwise other things mentioned can also seem appealing, depending on what you're interested in more precisely.

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
SnakeEyes a dit:
i'm studying psychology and the bachelor part isn't so interesting for a psychonaut, especially since it has become so scientific that it leaves no place for any subjects that are somehow special and that can't be "proved with certainty", but i discovered there's a master program in transpersonal and consciousness psychology,

i totally agree with that, academic psychology is not very psychonautical, it is stuck up its own arse as it is trying to be a 'science of the mind' but arguably that is a contradiction in terms, because the mind isnt an obect that can be scientifically studied. I am studying 'philosophy of psychology' which is far more psychonautical as it actually examines the underlying assumptions that psychology is based on. Transpersonal psychology is absolutely psychonautical but it doesnt get much respect in modern academia

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Shamanita a dit:
toogoodforyou a dit:

of course you don't, but we live in a system of 9 to 5 jobs... So you better take a job/study of which you think is interesting :)

Yes, but the subject you find interesting should also have the ability to get you enough remuneration so you can live decently.... or maybe afford that special trip abroad, where you can do psychedelics in beautiful places :)

pyschonauticks

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
28 Fev 2009
Counselor for a outdoor therapy program for troubled kids, you get to hike around the wilderness, chill and help out a bunch of kids that might of been alot like you. I got sent to one of those programs when I was 15 and now I think I want to go back as a counselor. I heard it pays pretty damn good too.

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Sounds great :)

But make sure the troubled kid in you is gone before you start helping others.

Best of luck

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
I chose the fine arts. Engaging in the creative process, refining how you get those ideas in your head out into the real world, figuring out where those ideas come from... plus learning how the human mind interprets sound, music, image, etc is like nonstop psychonauting.. all day long!

aryaman

Inscrit
29 Sept 2008
I like thnobotany, and I think I'll go to antropology to make that.

Also neuropsychopharmacology is very interesting... but I' m not good in chemical stuff, prefer to study plants and their ritual uses :D

Mezzanine

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
28 Mar 2008
I'm finishing my bachelor's in Math...I wanted to get my Master's in it as well but after getting myself into some of the upper level proof courses I don't think my brain works in the required way...shame :(

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
It would be really helpful if some of them would go into politics...but it goes against the psychonaut's nature I guess...

What's your opinion?