Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Therapeutic use

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
My friend has been looking at hallucinogens as a way to help her work through some of the issues in her past (rape, an abusive boyfriend, etc.) and we are curious what the best substance for this would be.

I was thinking Extacy, but the area she lives in is RAMPANT with methamphetamine abuse (Just to give you an idea, a town near her named Medford has been nicknamed "Methford") so the probability of ending up with pills of meth instead of MDMA is very high.

The setting would be someplace quiet (likely a river by her house) and I would be sitting her through it. I have a fair bit of experience dealing with trauma like hers, so I know the possibility of her freaking out (even at me) exists. That said, if anyone has suggestions on how to improve the setting, let me know those too.

Thanks a lot guys, hopefully we can find something that will work.

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I think ecstasy is great to begin with. The way underground therapists do it (from what I have heard) is that they take pure mdma 2 to 6 times and then progress to LSD, each treatment at least a month apart. But make sure she gets pure drugs. With big traumas like rape, I would definitely stay at the safe side for a while, and choose MDMA over LSD/Mushrooms.

Ayahuasca can be great. But you have to do it in a ceremonial setting, at least your own sacred circle or whatever to create a safe space in which these things can come out.

sunshroom

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Juil 2008
I support the MDMA idea for therapeutic use myself, especial for something like this. Shrooms and acid are more spiritual quest for ones mind than straightforward therapeutics. I don't argue that they have great therapeutic values, but directing those experiences, without really knowing what to do, may be bit harder. MY humble opinion.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I think starting off with LSD is fine. Especially because you will be there for her. Agree to plan several sessions, not just one. It may be very beneficial to supply physical contact during certain phases of the experience, but on the other hand she's likely very sensitive in this regard, so talk about this beforehand. There is more on this (anaclytic therapy), also in relation to victims of rape, in the book LSD Psychotherapy, by Stan Grof.

Though MDMA is relatively easy to manage, the happy feelings also very easily distract one from inner work. It really takes the presence of an active and skilled psychotherapist to make MDMA therapeutically useful. For LSD all you basically need is one or two reassuring sitters. The "inner radar" of the unconscious, activated by the psychedelic compound, automatically finds that which is of emotional significance and ready for conscious processing. Having experienced traumas in life doesn't necessarily raise the risk of freaking out. Try to find out what her birth was like though. If it was a prolonged or suffocating experience, LSD may give rise to some temporary but very intense physical and emotional sensations. This is not freaking out, but acting out, releasing psychosomatic stress, blocked emotional energy, reintegrating traumatic memories from the past. Also talk about this beforehand, that it's OK to cry, scream or even act out certain agressive impulses, as long as she doesn't harm herself or anyone else, and doesn't run away.

Get yourself some music from Vangelis, or play Peter Gabriel's Passion during the experience. Or find some other instrumental but evocative music to your liking.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Here's a little more on physical contact, from the fifth chapter of Psychology of the Future. Though it discusses holotropic breathwork, it equally applies to psychedelic therapy.

Nourishing Physical Contact

In holotropic breathwork, we also use a different form of physical intervention, one that is designed to provide support on a deep preverbal level. This is based on the observation that there exist two fundamentally different forms of trauma and that they require diametrically different approaches. The first of these can be referred to as trauma by commission. It is the result of external intrusions that had damaging impact on the future development of the individual. Here belong such insults as physical or sexual abuse, frightening situations, destructive criticism, or ridicule. These traumas represent foreign elements in the unconscious that can be brought into consciousness, energetically discharged, and resolved.

Although this distinction is not recognized in conventional psychotherapy, the second form of trauma, trauma by omission, is radically different. It actually involves the opposite mechanism - lack of positive experiences that are essential for a healthy emotional development. The infant, as well as an older child, have strong primitive needs for instinctual satisfaction and security that pediatricians and child psychiatrists call anaclitic (from the Greek anaklinein meaning to lean upon). These involve the need to be held, caressed, comforted, be played with, and be the center of human attention. When these needs are not met, it has serious consequences for the future of the individual.

Many people have a history of emotional deprivation, abandonment, and neglect that resulted in serious frustration of the anaclitic needs. The only way to heal this type of trauma is to offer a corrective experience in the form of supportive physical contact in a holotropic state of consciousness. For this approach to be effective, the individual has to be deeply regressed to the infantile stage of development, otherwise the corrective measure would not reach the developmental level on which the trauma occurred. Depending on circumstances and on previous agreement, this physical support can range from simple holding of the hand or touching the forehead to full body contact.

Use of nourishing physical contact is a very effective way of healing early emotional trauma. However, it requires following strict ethical rules. We have to explain to the breathers before the session the rationale of this technique and get their approval to use it. Under no circumstances can this approach be practiced without previous consent and no pressures can be used to obtain this permission. For many people with a history of sexual abuse, physical contact is a very sensitive and charged issue. Very often those who need it most have the strongest resistance to it. It can sometimes take a long time before a person develops enough trust toward the facilitators and the group to be able to accept this technique and benefit from it.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
MDMA first. See how well she handles that.
LSD or Ayahuasca after that. Ayahuasca you must be very confident in your trip sitting, LSD goes the same.

Aya will definitely bring a feeling of "awe" and healment to her. LSD has same potential, but I could see it turning around more likely than aya.

GOOD. LUCK. Love you for doing it.

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
I think it depends on the time frame. If you have 12 hour blocks at a time, I think any mescaline extract would be very therapeutic, since it typically builds in a certain layer of positive thinking. LSD, in comparison would unleash all of those thoughts at once and could damage more then it repairs, especially as a first line of therapy. Finally, I definitely agree with earlier comments that MDMA, although good for breaking down communication boundaries, would not necessarily make the trip a fulfilling one.

Long story short San Pedro extract or peyote buttons would be my suggestion.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
LSD in my opinion is your best bet.

That being said, Ketamine used in the right context can be well suited for this kind of therapeutic work.

Henkfloyd

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Jan 2008
I would also recommend LSD. My girlfriend was also suffering from severe depression, a traumatic past, abusive mother, trust issues and a very conservative reformed family. I guided her through a bunch of LSD sessions and showed her my love for her anyway I could.

Although most sessions were very confronting and hard on her, she learned to trust her own judgement and drasticly rearrange her fundamental thinking and worldview. LSD really helped her to get out of her depression and relive some of the traumatic events in her past to give them a place.

We also tried the theraputic use of MDMA 2-3 times and this also had a positive influence on her, but LSD was most effective.

Good luck with it mate, hope this helps.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Wow, nice to hear that Henkfloyd!

Regarding Ketamine, in some cases it is an option, but LSD or mescaline are still preferable.

buffachino

Inscrit
7 Juin 2007
Regarding Ketamine...

It depends if the emotional intensity of facing such issues will impede the desired therapy through a reluctance to relive the initial trauma or contemplate its implications. In such circumstances, the distance that a disassociative such as ketamine could provide would allow better conditions for the emotional syndrome to be integrated and overcome.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Ketamine induces a paradigmatic view on one's relation with life itself, disconnected from external sensory. Meaning that trauma's are seen as compact area's of a much larger whole, becoming too insignificant for dominating the colossal dome which life and consciousness is. It's extremely spiritual if used wisely. It actually begins once the K-hole is over, and it comes to one's self over a period of weeks or even months. The gradual integration of photo's will make up the dream one can recall later on. I actually kept receiving photo's 2 months after I K-holed for the first time ever in 2006.

Ultimately the possible belief that no one's provisional act(s) can put undying control over one's life. The weight of awkward memories is then greately diminished.

Therapeutic use of K should be done very conscientious and with care, it's much less easy than acid, but it's power is similar or even greater, so are the risks. One can return with the belief he's the messenger, sent by God himself to guide the world as a most worst result, or other kinds of such outcomes.

I loved K back in days, and still have a warm relation, my coffin and house to rest is assured in there. The Pink and Black Goddess gave me the key and a tap on my chest as a welcome mark. Part of the family I am. I still embrace this serenity and domestic residence.

At Arcticpheonix, forget MDMA, it pushes one into a positive mood way too easy. People who have been through the same life phases as your friend are known for falling into frequent use too easy, with reversed effects in the end.

Pick LSD! Remember that all what she needs is making her bright emotions palpable with acceptance and capitulation. From there on, the clay around her core dissolutes and once solid inner strength is on set, the continuation may become an uninterrupted part of the sober levels of awareness.

Read, educate, prepare, support her, fondle her, hug her, cuddle her, accompany her during and after her journey.

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
www.emofree.com

Make sure to add this whatever you do, your body polarity and breathing must be very consistant for it to work however. Maybe try yoga too ; unlocking the triggers of the trauma is paramount to understanding it deeply.