Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Smoking Marijuana Does Not Cause Lung Cancer

Space-is-the-Place

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
"New research shows here seems to be something in pot that actually undermines cancer, instead of causing it. -- and the media are doing their best to ignore it."

“The more tobacco smoked, the greater the rate of decline,

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
True, true...

But the point is there's more and more scientific evidence to make the disagreeing people cry :twisted:

Twilight

Inscrit
7 Juin 2008
I always thought tar forms when marijuana is burned, just like tobacco.
Appearantly this is propaganda or something?

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
I I believe that in a equal proportion smoking marijuana can be as harmful to the lungs as tobacco. Marijuana smoke has a great deal of cancerous tars within its composition, I have checked it myself using different filtering processes.

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
well apparently thc cancels any (or a significant amount) of that. just because something contains carginogens does NOT mean it is by any standard comparable to tobacco, which has hundreds of poisons and carcinogens ADDED to it. not to mention the chemicals, simply from burning plant matter. do you see?

edit: i've never coughed up blood from weed and i've been smoking for over 5 years. after 1 year of tobacco, i was coughing up black mucus, and after 2 years, blood. case in point

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
greenwizard a dit:
I I believe that in a equal proportion smoking marijuana can be as harmful to the lungs as tobacco.

[quote:1wg06m79]“The more tobacco smoked, the greater the rate of decline,

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
thanks for clearing that up! i hope it stays remembered that weed =/= tobacco in spite of the often same preferred method of intake = smoking.

also probably it should be clear that our body was NOT MADE for smoking.

peace :weedman:

greenwizard

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Juin 2008
[quote:21j32fjl]“The more tobacco smoked, the greater the rate of decline,

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
not necessarily. it could be linear with positive slope

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
and there was the major us study that came out a few years ago that followed like 2000 people and found no increased rates of cancer amongst cannabis smokers.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
The difference between cannabis and tobacco on the lungs is simple: Cannabis is a powerful expectorant, so it helps you lungs cleaning themselves. But tobacco does the contrary, it stops the cleaning process, so all the dirt stays in your lungs. That with all the added carcinogens in cigarettes make it an effective weapon for killing people slowly but surely.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
really that's kinda interesting can you provide more information on that psychoid???

Maru

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Sept 2006
Nicotine is greatly increasing the cancer risk in cells.
No nicotine in pot...
Tar are maybe not the major issues regarding cancer althought they are the more 'impressive'.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
hey guys did you actually read the article? some interesting things to point out:

--the article mentions that study from a few months back that claimed higher risk of testicular cancer for cannabis smokers (i'm sure you remember it) and reminds us that this type of cancer, called nonseminoma, occurs in fewer than half of one percent (< 0.5%) of all cancer cases among men!!!

--the study showed not only that cannabis smokers aren't more prone to cancer, smokers of cannabis and tobacco are at a lower risk than those who only smoke tobacco!!!

--UCLA professor Donald Tashking, the guy behind the studies, was the lead investigator behind these other studies done in the 70's that identified toxins in cannabis smoke and showed how the smoke damages cells in the upper airways of the respiratory system. the studies also found that cannabis has high levels of benzpyrene, a highly carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon that's held as a key player in most lung cancers -- that's why it says "something in pot that actually undermines cancer"!!! the cancer causing agents are in the smoke of cannabis too but somehow they are held back (does this answer your musings, Twilight?)

--these studies i mentioned (and others) were founded by NIDA, and since they liked what was coming they gave more money to Tashkin in 2002 to conduct a large, population-based, case-controlled study, to prove once and for all that cannabis is the most evil thing ever and -you guessed it- it totally backfired!!! Tashkin’s team interviewed 1,212 cancer patients from the Los Angeles County Cancer Surveillance program, matched for age, gender, and neighborhood with 1,040 cancer-free controls.

--the resulting article is called "Marijuana Use and the Risk of Lung and Upper Aerodigestive Tract Cancers: Results of a Population-Based Case-Control Study" and it remained rather unknown because NIDA refused to publish it!!!

--they were busy publishing another study instead, one made in New Zealand, that totally contradicted Tashkin's and that did get widespread media attention!

--well, i hear you asking, how many cancer patients or something did this New Zealand study have then??? 79 smokers took part, 21 of whom smoked cannabis only. only 4.4% of the total individuals involved in Tashkin's!!!

--Tashking said that the New Zealand study mimicked the design that he and his group used for looking at lung function!!! the man himself: "For tobacco they found what you’d expect: a higher risk for lung cancer and a clear dose-response relationship. A 24-fold increase in the people who smoked the most… What about marijuana? If they smoked a small or moderate amount there was no increased risk, in fact slightly less than one. But if they were in the upper third of the group, then their risk was six-fold… A rather surprising finding, and one has to be cautious about interpreting the results because of the very small number of cases -- fourteen— and controls -- four."

4 controls?? 4!?!?

--Tashkin also said the New Zealanders employed "statistical sleight of hand." he deemed it "completely implausible that smokers of only 365 joints of marijuana have a risk for developing lung cancer similar to that of smokers of 7,000 tobacco cigarettes… Their small sample size led to vastly inflated estimates… They had said 'it's ideal to do the study in New Zealand because we have a much higher prevalence of marijuana smoking.' But 88% of their controls had never smoked marijuana, whereas 36% of our controls (in Los Angeles) had never smoked marijuana. Why did so few of the controls smoke marijuana? Something fishy about that!"

fishy??? it stinks!!!!!!

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
Psychoid a dit:
Vaporising is the best! :);)

haha +1000 :)

.. But besides that, from what information I've gathered over the years on harmfullness of tobacco and/or weed.. It seems pretty simple to me (please correct me if I say something terribly wrong ^^): Nicotine has apoptosis-inhibiting effects, meaning a tumor cell (cancer infected cell) cannot, as easily, commit suicide, to be replaced by a new healthy cell. This is probably why tobacco has such a high risk of causing cancer. Marijhuana doesn't contain any apoptosis-inhibiting substances, in fact it has apoptosis-stimulating effects (?), thus propagating the chances of a tumor cell 'commiting' apoptosis.
Aside from that cannabis contains A LOT more carcinogenic substances than tobacco, but from my point of view this doesn't really matter in the case of smoking weed, because the cells that do get infected by the carcinogen will have a pretty high chance to just kill themselves and be replaced.. Problem solved :)