Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

San Pedro: rooting a cutting

reality_wars

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Juil 2009
Some weeks ago my San Pedro became a victim of our funny rampant outbreaks and the cacti felt down on the ground. It was broken in the center so I cut of 10 cm of the top with a clean knife, moistened it a bit and then planted it in a new pot with wet cacti soil in the hope it would root again.

But now my thorny friend seems to sear. It's getting dark and is shriveling. I dug the cactus a little bit up to see if there where any roots but there where any at all. Afair Sen Pedro's strike roots very easy from a cutting so seemingly I did something wrong. You guy's have any suggestions?

tryptonaut

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
reality_wars a dit:
so I cut of 10 cm of the top with a clean knife, moistened it a bit and then planted it in a new pot with wet cacti soil

You must let the cutting dry for at least a week, so that the fresh wound is healed. Then put it in soil, but not wet soil. It can be moist, but not wet.
I think in your case everything was much too wet and the cutting was fresh, so it started to rot.
Usually a cutting starts growing before it has roots - that means a newly planted cutting needs almost no water for at least half a year, maybe even the whole first year. Just keep the soil a little moist, but not wet.

reality_wars

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Juil 2009
According to that I did it completely wrong. Guess the rotting is in a to far stadium to save my San Pedro now, but thanks for the clear answer. I´ll keep it in mind.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
If all else fails, eat it.

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
I never use only cacti soil for my San Pedro's.
I make a mix of sand stones and a little bit of cacti soil.
My San Pedro's are growing very well now.
I only give them rainwater.

Another question.
What is the best time of the year to make a cutting.
:?:

Winter :?: :?:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
magickmumu a dit:
I never use only cacti soil for my San Pedro's.
I make a mix of sand stones and a little bit of cacti soil.

The question is what is cactus soil? The stuff you can buy everywhere that is labelled cactus soil is usually just normal potting soil with some sand and a handful of perlite. Not too bad for San Pedros, they can take the soil quite well - but real cactus substrate contains almost no potting soil and a lot of mineral stuff like lava stones and the like. I bought some of it this year and the cacti seem to like it pretty well so far.

Rainwater is perfect, but don't forget some fertilizer every two weeks or so (N-reduced cactus fertilizer) or they won't grow very well either.

Dutchdivinecacti

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
29 Juil 2009
Best time of year to make a cutting? Hehe anytime u feel life it! In summer it'll heal up and root quicker. Sunlight is great for rooting.

Cactus soil is quick drying and loose, cacti just prefer it. Try 2 parts soil (peat free), 3 parts coarse river sand and 1 part fine gravel (1-3mm).

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
reality_wars a dit:
Some weeks ago my San Pedro became a victim of our funny rampant outbreaks and the cacti felt down on the ground. It was broken in the center so I cut of 10 cm of the top with a clean knife, moistened it a bit and then planted it in a new pot with wet cacti soil in the hope it would root again.

But now my thorny friend seems to sear. It's getting dark and is shriveling. I dug the cactus a little bit up to see if there where any roots but there where any at all. Afair Sen Pedro's strike roots very easy from a cutting so seemingly I did something wrong. You guy's have any suggestions?

First, when U cut of cacti, U never plant it in moisted soil!!!! REMEMBER THAT! But what is done is done! For next time, cut of cacti top and leave it on news papers. Wait 3 weeks and U will see worm like sprouts coming down from bottom. This is time to replant your cacti into mix of black soil and fine gravel with sand. 2/3 of earth and 1/3 of gravel sand.

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
All good advice. I've found that San Pedro cuttings are really prone to rot in wet conditions. The newspaper thing works great, and you can even add a little bit of rooting powder to help dry and nourish the cutting at the same time. Depending on how the little guy is doing, maybe you can still cut the top of it, and repeat the process properly. But seriously no water, at the very least for the first month in soil.

Goran.Hrsak

Inscrit
30 Mar 2006
PSYDELIC CRYSIS. HAVEN'T USE ANY MORE THEN 9 MONTHS! AFTER ACID DEPLETION,LOST RESEARCH CHEM CONNECTION I HAVE PREMATURELY RETIRED. BUT FOR NOW. WAITING NEW BRIGHTER TIMES! U KNOW ANYONE WITH RC's? PM ME. WOULD LIKE TO MAKE TRADE WITH VARIOUS THINGS.