Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Salvia and persistent psychosis

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
From: http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/166/7/832

To The Editor: Salvia divinorum (salvia) is a sage plant that is easily obtained in the United States. Its active ingredient, Salvinorin A, is a novel and highly selective pure kappa opiate receptor agonist with rapid onset and powerful hallucinogenic properties (1). Salvia has become increasingly popular as a drug of abuse when smoked. No long-term negative outcomes have been reported from the use of salvia. We present a case in which salvia precipitated persistent psychosis.

"Mr. J" was a 21-year-old man with no family or personal psychiatric history or laboratory abnormalities. He was reported to have normal social interactions, behavior, and cognitive skills. He was transferred to our psychiatric unit for acute psychosis and paranoia, which occurred shortly after smoking salvia. In transport, the patient became suspicious and attempted to jump from the vehicle. Upon presentation, he demonstrated echolalia, paranoia, flight of ideas, and psychomotor agitation. The patient remained agitated for the first 2 days of hospitalization. He attempted to barricade himself in his room. Risperidone (3 mg by mouth/three times per day) was administered, and the patient was eventually stabilized. The dosage, however, resulted in the parkisonian features of rigidity, bradykinesia, and masked facies.

Mr. J was transferred to the chemical dependency unit for further treatment. He was stabilized, and treatment with risperidone was slowly tapered. During the taper from risperidone, the patient continued to improve and manifested better insight and logical thought processes. He participated in group therapy and interacted with peers, and the parkinsonian features subsided. One day after risperidone was withdrawn, the patient’s symptoms abruptly returned. He became agitated, paranoid, and aggressive and believed he was able to project and receive thoughts. He returned to the inpatient psychiatry unit where risperidone (3 mg by mouth/twice daily) was reinstated. He was once again stabilized and transferred to the referring psychiatric facility for further treatment. At the 4-month follow-up, the patient exhibited no perceptible improvement.

To the best of our knowledge, this is the first reported case of a persistent negative outcome from the use of salvia. We suspect that our patient was genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, and salvia precipitated the clinical manifestations. This may relate to the drug’s ability to influence dopamine levels in the brain and potentiate plastic changes in frontal lobe networks (3).

Previous studies have cited salvia as a potential treatment option for CNS illnesses (2). This is surprising, considering the paucity of research regarding its efficacy. Salvia’s ability to increase dopamine levels in the nucleus accumbens increases its potential for dependence. Consistently, patients at our clinic who have used the drug report that its psychological effects are abrupt and frightening. Clinicians should be aware that salvia use can be associated with psychiatric illness.

Footnotes

The authors report no competing interests.

This letter (doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2009.08121759) was accepted for publication in February 2009.

http://salvia.net/articles.php?id=42

Comment from Caduceus:

One of my friends claims his schizophrenia started after he smoked Salvia about a decade ago when he was in the USA. But from what I've heard about his life prior to that, it's clear he was genetically or psychologically predisposed as well.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
There's always gonna be one, or more cases where a user flips out due to current, or genetic disposition to a/potential mental illness. Someone can smoke Cannabis and break down into a psychotic episode without prior warnings, or signs of such mental disorders.

My hope is that cases like these won't further push Salvia toward it being illegal. Likely it was given in a horrible setting; (seeing that it was given in a doctor-like atmosphere), and hence-- somewhere Mr. J wasn't used to as much as say, his bedroom. Perhaps he had some underlying fear of doctors offices' or something else.

Moreover, Salvinorin A works partially on the cannabinoid CB(1) receptor as well as the well-noted k-opioid; which can account for both some paranoia. Either way, the dude was freaking out for one, or more of these reasons.

This isn't to say 'Oh, go ahead and smoke this,' no. Everyone has the possibility to be predisposed to something. So don't take drugs for a grain of salt, especially Salvia.

:)

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Interesting. I wish people with schizophrenia would just talk to people about their thoughts.

F

furioso

Invité
i agree. but finding people who REALLY listen isn't always easy. you gotta get in there and swim.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Thanks for the awareness.
I dont feel like Salvia changed anything in me.
I did get a sense of another world, but I think thats just because it gave me a wide new perspective of the salvia world.
But i returned very easy, and never was bothered by it again!
But I can understand why it triggered that kind of response.
I mean, there's always a risk taking psychedelics.
Isnt that obvious already?
I was wondering, do any of you know anyone who went 'crazy' after a trip?
Because this intense fear and paranoia, may have been cause because they refuse to accept some of the experience, well just a thought!

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
Psyolopher a dit:
I did get a sense of another world, but I think thats just because it gave me a wide new perspective of the salvia world.
Because this intense fear and paranoia, may have been cause because they refuse to accept some of the experience, well just a thought!

Same here, but then again-- I'm young and have much to learn from the world.

As for someone going nuts after a trip-- personally, no. But my mother knew of a guy she went to school with-- he took a strong dose of LSD and wasn't the same since. He wasn't nuts or whatever, but his entire personality flipped after he was done with the trip.
Gatta treat things with respect. Mmhm. :)

As for me-- I haven't really noticed anything from hallucinogens-- funny how they tend to ground you more to reality than you'd think. But from Cannabis-- a bit. I've noticed mood swings and wanting to sleep more no matter how often I smoke.
That's about the only psychedelic I've had an issue with.

infinitetransistor

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
13 Août 2009
Psyolopher a dit:

what do you mean by "crazy"?
i changed alot after i triped first, in fact every time i trip hard i feel like i reform my personality. I deffinitly dont fit the norm of society but im guessing you dont either.

I think sanity is a verry hazy subject

Weyoun

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
9 Août 2009
Psyolopher a dit:

unfortunately I do. My older nephew started using cannibas and LSD really heavily in his teen years. After a particular strong trip in his early 20's (on LSD) he completely lost it and developed severe paranoia (so severe to the point he couldnt talk anymore, he could only sit still and shiver in fear).

He was hospitalized for about 2 years but showed little to no improvement. One night he broke out of the medical ward and visited some of his friends, bought LSD for a final trip, and stood in front of a train.

heavy stuff. turned out he was genetically predisposed to mental illness. Schizophrenia and autism ran through that particular branch of the family like wildfire.

P.S.
I am not a part of the same bloodline, or I would ofc never experiment with any psychedelic.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Weyoun a dit:
After a particular strong trip in his early 20's (on LSD) he completely lost it and developed severe paranoia (so severe to the point he couldnt talk anymore, he could only sit still and shiver in fear).
I doubt it was the strength of the trip. What were the circumstances of the trip?

One night he broke out of the medical ward and visited some of his friends, bought LSD for a final trip, and stood in front of a train.
Is there a way for you to figure out how his birth has been? Can you ask his mother about that? There's a theory (Jacobsen et al, Stan Grof) that violent types of suicide are related to particularly difficult deliveries, that's why I'm asking. If it's true, there may be a way to reduce the number of teenagers committing suicide...

I am not a part of the same bloodline, or I would ofc never experiment with any psychedelic.
It doesn't necessarily have to do with the bloodline, but could just as well have to do with certain dysfunctional family dynamics. Read John Bradshaw's "The Family" for more on this.

Weyoun

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
9 Août 2009
Caduceus Mercurius a dit:
I doubt it was the strength of the trip. What were the circumstances of the trip?

you're probably right about this. The thing is I was too young to understand any of this at the time all this was playing out. All I have is the account of events of his mother and my family.

From what I've understood was that he always was very alienated from everyone, he lived secluded and had barely any friends. He would internalize everything in his life and be in his room for hours on end (before the days of internet and television in every bedroom). He also took his trips alone in his room.

There's a theory (Jacobsen et al, Stan Grof) that violent types of suicide are related to particularly difficult deliveries, that's why I'm asking. If it's true, there may be a way to reduce the number of teenagers committing suicide...

Now that you mention it, his delivery was in fact difficult. My aunt was in the hospital for over 24 hours and the baby wouldnt come. In the end the umbellica (forgive spelling) cord got twisted around his neck and an emergency c-section was done. My aunt couldnt deliver more children after the procedure.

I'm still more inclined to attritube his suicide to his developing schizophrenia and suffering persistent psychosis (2 years on end in a ward without improvement) then to his difficult delivery at birth. I will read up on this though because its fascinating to look at some studies on this.

It doesn't necessarily have to do with the bloodline, but could just as well have to do with certain dysfunctional family dynamics. Read John Bradshaw's "The Family" for more on this.

The thing is. His father is my mothers brother. His mother is not related to me, but she came out of a family with 10 children from only 2 children didnt develop mental illness. Every other child has either autism, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. That lead me to believe it has to be a strong genetic disposition in that particular family. Even if it was the result of a dysfunctional family dynamic than it still wouldn't carry over to me since the family dynamic would only enter the family only after my ancestors (my mother and her brothers and sisters) had branched off into their new families.

Anyway this is why I think I'm "safe". Believe me I would never even attempt a psychedelic if I thought there was a chance of me being more vulnerable to psychosis.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Weyoun a dit:
Now that you mention it, his delivery was in fact difficult. My aunt was in the hospital for over 24 hours and the baby wouldnt come. In the end the umbellica (forgive spelling) cord got twisted around his neck and an emergency c-section was done. My aunt couldnt deliver more children after the procedure.
Wow... This correlation between birth and later mental states seems to be confirmed again and again...

I'll write more about it tonight. I just got an unexpected visit from an old friend. The one I had my most intense LSD experience with, way back in 1992. :D

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Weyoun a dit:
I'm still more inclined to attritube his suicide to his developing schizophrenia and suffering persistent psychosis (2 years on end in a ward without improvement) then to his difficult delivery at birth.
But then what gave rise to his psychosis or his schizophrenia? Of course there's no simple answer to that question, but here too the birth process is an important factor. If you want to read more about this (the relationship between the birth trauma and mental disorders), get yourself "LSD Psychotherapy" by Stanislav Grof. Also "Psychology of the Future" (by the same author) explains these principles very well.

His mother is not related to me, but she came out of a family with 10 children from only 2 children didnt develop mental illness. Every other child has either autism, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder. That lead me to believe it has to be a strong genetic disposition in that particular family.
Perhaps, but in a family of ten children there could also have been a lack of focused parental attention as well as poor nutrition.

Anyway this is why I think I'm "safe". Believe me I would never even attempt a psychedelic if I thought there was a chance of me being more vulnerable to psychosis.
Very good. :D