Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

receptors

robhR

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
26 Fev 2008
excellent.

i can't believe all this "drugs 'r bad" when god clearly meant for these drugs to be taken. but then i guess we already knew that but this is a big one.

thank you.

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
???
"Drug receptors" are the same receptors as "Sober receptors"...

Can you be a little less vague in the question? There is a cannabinoid receptor in the brain - a holy grail for pot smokers. But then it was found the brain actually has endogenous cannabinoids, which just means THC is similar to one of our neural communicators.

It is interesting however, that LSD and psilocybin and DMT activate the same receptors as serotonin, dopamine, and the group, BUT, they actually have a different pathway, and thusly a different response.

The old picture was that we had "triangle", "square" and "circle" receptors (to make this elementary). Only "triangle" compounds could fit in a "triangle" receptor, and square in square, etc... Which is true. However, it was found that a Red triangle (LSD) can fit into a Blue triangle receptor (for serotonin) and activate it in a very different manner than that of the blue triangle (serotonin).

This is a HUGE breakthrough for the neuroscience of psychodelics!!! And was only recently discovered, in fact I think it is still in the psychonautical news section front page - go check it out.

robhR

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
26 Fev 2008
the cannabinoid receptor was what i was thinking of... also that one for salvia... kappa opioid i think? which would mean there's an opiod receptor, right? i'm embarrassingly lacking in knowledge of receptors for a psychology major...

itsscience

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
7 Oct 2010
taking drugs does not cause your cells to grow new receptors to interact with the drugs.

Receptors are essentially catcher's mitts sticking out from the cell and, due to their shape, they catch certain molecules and allow those molecules to interact with the cell. Different receptors have different shapes and so catch different molecules. It just so happens that the shape of the active molecule(s) in some drugs have a sufficiently similar structure to other molecules (e.g serotonin and LSD using IJC's example) that they are also caught by the receptors.

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
correction :to clarify, the receptors dont change, so new types of receptors will not form, but new receptors(from the same type) can be formed.

lol*fan

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Juil 2007
Yo robhR, if you want to get a better picture of what drugs do in the brain check out this link: http://www.jellinek.nl/brain/index.html

It explains in clear language and animations what's going on in your brain, both when sober and on drugs. It provides you with a visual picture of how various drugs and receptors interact... it's good stuff! Everytime I think 'how did that work again?' I go back to that microsite.

Happy learning!

itsscience

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
7 Oct 2010
Jahvisions a dit:
You are just saying something itsscience.

The amount of recepters can increase of decrease by taking substances, this mechanism is already known for ages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downregula ... regulation

exactly right jahvision, it has been known for ages. By "new receptors" I was referring to a new type of receptor specific to the drug taken not additional receptors of the types we already have. Our receptors, that it is the types of receptors, are with us from birth and genetically coded, taking drugs does not cause us to grow "new" receptors (new types). Sorry for the confusion.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
good site lol*fan, cleared up some gray areas, and was pretty simple.

Jahvisions

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
Nice site, goos general info pretty objective.

itsscience: the moment I wrote it I already assumed you meant it that way, thats why I posted the second comment. Sorry for my quick assumption.

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
i believe OP's referring to neurotransmitters, not receptors (a hunch due to his wording). (as most of you know) receptors and more specifically, receptor sites, are the place on the neuron where the interaction of substances occur, and the neurotransmitter is the chemical, its what causes any particular mental state.

hope that was helpful