Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Psychonautic jobs

Psychoid

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Not sure if this is the right place to post, if it isn't you moderators can feel free to move it to the right place.

I am completely lost. I realized that my actual field of study doesn't fit me, and now I don't know what I want to do with my life.

So I am asking you of what you think would be an interesting job for a psychonaut, as I would like to do something that has a relation with psychonautism.

I don't want to spend too much time at school, 4 years of study would pretty much be the maximum.

So, any idea? :p

5553b4442

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Sept 2008
how about to stop thinking only in yourself and using your life to help others ?
Or isn't that as fancy as being a chemist or a psychologist ?

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
I wouldn't say you need to mix work and psychonautics, but the jobs that I would say have "psychonautic properties" are:

Psychonautic, but financially "risky":

Artist

Musician

Writer

Some jobs including Ethics or Philosophy (Academia)

"sturdy" jobs:

Jobs in various fields of Science

Psychologist / Psychiatrist

Some jobs in Ethics and Philosophy (Law)

Any ideas at all about your strengths / interests?

What really worked for me is work experience: I tried out a few jobs when I left school because I didn't want to go straight into uni without knowing what I wanted to do with my life: turned out I enjoyed what I was good at in school (science) and so had more of a reason to go (I knew what I was getting myself in for), just a thought.

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
A couple of years ago I had a very far out mushroom trip.
In this trip I encountered two spirits (on the toilet) that I recognise as being my father and my mother. I had a conversation with these spirits, and they told me what direction I needed to go in my life.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
magickmumu a dit:
A couple of years ago I had a very far out mushroom trip.
In this trip I encountered two spirits (on the toilet) that I recognise as being my father and my mother. I had a conversation with these spirits, and they told me what direction I needed to go in my life.

May i ask you which directions it where?

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
I said it because you asked. I don´t like to say it because it´s feeding my ego.

(look how good I am, I am helping people)

Understand.
:wink:

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
I am going into Quantum Mechanics, and I believe it is linked to the mind of psychonaut. I think the only way to understand Quantum Mechanics is to be a user. Some of the stuff is so far out, that a normal mind cannot understand it. To me, Quantum Mechanics explains to me that the stuff I experience in the mushroom realm, is actually true; such as unification. But that is more schooling that you would like. I may be here for 10-15 years. :D

peace & love to all!

G

Invité
It's really personal, but I think biology is one of the most tripped field out there.

And "helping people" isn't what's going to feed you, except if you intend to do humanitarian missions, and not everyone have the guts to do such a thing.

Wow, quantum physics, that's really impressive. Still, that's way too much mathematics for me :mrgreen:

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
magickmumu a dit:
I said it because you asked. I don´t like to say it because it´s feeding my ego.

(look how good I am, I am helping people)

Understand.
:wink:

I understand and respect that of course, but feeding you ego does not have to be negative thing?

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
Wow, quantum physics, that's really impressive. Still, that's way too much mathematics for me

Yeah, I know it's quite complex. I am not even sure if I can do it, but all I know is I can sure try! I find it interesting, and I am gonna dedicate myself to do it. This is what I have been looking for, something 'accepted' by society, and that interests me. Before I decided Quantum Mechanics, I wanted to study psychedelics. I have came to a conclusion; that psychedelics should not be studied through science, because they have something to them that science cannot and should not try to explain. I am reading a book called Plant Spirit Healing- and in it it says that the more we try to scientifically explain stuff, the more separate we become from the spirit world. Here is the quote:

"The relationship to the world that modern science fostered and shaped now appears to have exhausted its potential. It is increasingly clear that, strangely, the relationship is missing something....Today, for instance, we may know immeasurably more about the universe than our ancestors did, and yet it increasingly seems they knew something more essential about it that we do, something that escapes us.... The more throughly our organs and their functions, their internal structure, and biochemical reactions that take place within them are described, the more we seem to fail to grasp the spirit, purpose and meaning of the system that they create together and that we experience as our unique self"

To me if seems very true. But what are you suppose to do? I decided to go a different way in life because of this quote. Sorry for the long post about really nothing, but it seems important to me when deciding on what to do with your life. At least I know, I am stuck in the middle. Between my spiritual self, and the scientific material world. If I want to pursue a spiritual life, it seems like just the fact of living in this society is limiting my spiritual potential. Every influence affects it. Anyways I am done rambling on...

peace & love

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
you wouldn't be the first person i've met who went into mathematics and/or quantum physics because of their experiences on psychedelics.. (and aced the subject too, i might add!) and yeah, i've met people who have gone into bio as well..

:lol:

seriously, how could you see the things you see on a trip and not have your interest just piqued a little.. somehow.. :D

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
:lol:

It was the other way round for me, - I decided to take psychedelics after reading a book on chaos theory, and having already been in biology / science for a while... not the only reason ofcourse, but it was something that contributed a lot.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Forest ranger. Must be possible in Can. Over here, almost impossible to become nowadays.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
Come to Canada!! :D

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
5553b4442 a dit:
how about to stop thinking only in yourself and using your life to help others ?
How about shutting up when all you have to say is useless crap, and stop assuming things about people you don't know?
I would love to use my life to help others and I will. That's not the question. In this fucked up world to survive you need money, and for this you need a job. And you can't live happy with a job you don't like. I'm not gonna choose to do something I hate because it helps other, I will choose something that I like and if that doesn't help anyone fuck it I can do something out of my job's context.

Thanks to everyone else for the pertinent answers. I thought about being a forest ranger, but I don't know how to become one? That would be a very good job for me, as I love being in nature and would love to help protect it. Also does it pay well? I'm not looking for a huge salary but at least something that will pay me a roof over my head and enough food to do not feel hungry. And a trip from time to time of course ;).
Anyway I'm meeting an orientator soon, I hope he will be able to help me sorting out everything.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
My friend said his friend was going to college for something to do with outdoors. One of his classes was surival in the wilderness; so they walked into the forest to figure out how to live. Not sure what it is called, but I will see if I can figure out.

peace & love

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
I am completely lost. I realized that my actual field of study doesn't fit me, and now I don't know what I want to do with my life.

So I am asking you of what you think would be an interesting job for a psychonaut, as I would like to do something that has a relation with psychonautism.
The best job for a psychonaut is one that pays enough so the person will have the free time to engage in psychonautical activities. For such jobs you'll have to study. And your problem seems to be: what to study? For unless it's something you feel passionately about, you may not get through those four years (or more) of higher education. 555G444 already suggested that there are more possibilities than becoming a chemist or psychologist. But rather than thinking about serving others, at this point you must really look at yourself, your own desires and needs. What type of information would you like to learn, even willing to read material that may be difficult to get through? For me such a subject would be psychology, but being 33 and all I don't think I'll go to college again (though I wish I could). For others it may be something else, for example theology or biology.
If I were you I'd forget about trying to find a job or study that's directly related to psychonautism. Rather try to find something that fits your nature.

FluidDruid

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
17 Sept 2008
I am studying the brain (specifically perception) in hopes of a PhD in neuropsychology, I know that through plants I will widen sciences third eye.