Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Problems when meditating

Psychoid

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
I began meditating regularly some time ago, and I have 2 problems. First, my nose almost always end up partially blocked and therefore breathing requires some effort, which is uncomfortable and makes it harder to relax and focus.
My second problem is that I have a hard time relaxing muscles in my face. When I do succeed my eyes open themselves... it is mainly the muscles around my eyes.

Anyone have some tips?

(I have had 3 surgeried in my nose in the past, and the doctor told me I didn't have a very large nose so there's not so much space...)

Nomada

Inscrit
4 Juil 2008
what clogs your nose? mucus?

Exagerate and then it's easier to know what parts are tense. Make funny faces contracting the muscles, again, exagerating. Widely open your eyes and mouth, take your tongue out, squeeze your throat, make weird sounds. Then suddenly fall still. I usually limit this last exercise to one time per session though, one may get caught in between being contracted and not and then its more difficult.

Relaxing the tongue may help as well.

It's soooo hard being still...

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
I don't find it hard being still, except for the occasionnal small spasms which I can't control. About what is clogging my nose yeah it must be mucus... I do relax the tongue, which makes it impossible to breath with my mouth... Maybe I should try other positions? (I always lay on my back on my bed...). But I'm not flexible enough for the lotus position :(

Nomada

Inscrit
4 Juil 2008
The mucus thing....does it happen often, I mean, doing something else? do you always meditate in the same place? Something could be giving you allergy. Is the mucus liquid or slightly more texturized?

My bed is too soft for me. I prefer the floor with a isolator in the middle. You could try sitting in the flor, legs crossed but only if your back remains comfortably straight. I sometimes sit on a chair.

Icelus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Oct 2007
With zen meditation they actually tell you to let your eyes half open. Closing your eyes while meditating promotes sleepiness. So maybe you should not try to close them?

The posture:
Sitting on a cushion ('zafu'), the legs are crossed in the full or half
lotus position. The pelvis is slightly bent forward, the back stretching
upwards. The head is straight and the chin tucked in. The eyes are
relaxed, looking downwards with the eyelids half closed. The fingers of
the left hand are resting on the fingers of the right hand, palms upward
with the tip of the thumbs touching each other. The hands, thus forming
a 'mudra', are put against the belly.

The breathing:
Zen-breathing is different from normal breathing. The emphasis lies on a
long deep exhalation in which the energy is collected in the area just
below the navel ('Kikai Tanden'). The belly is relaxed and at the end of
the exhalation slightly pushed outward. After the exhalation there is a
short spontaneous inhalation and a new cycle begins.

The state of mind:During Zazen the mind will calm down. Thoughts may appear but you let them go without hanging on to them, judging them or reacting to them. Thus the mind is not grasping anything. This state of mind can only be reached by concentrating on the posture and breathing, not by willpower.

Mara

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Avr 2008
Maybe meditating in nature will help? Some fresh air does wonders for me and I'm able to relax better once I hear the wind and feel the ground underneath me. Bring a blanket if lying down is your favourite position.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Or you could try moving meditation or standing meditation. Stillness and Movement come together eventually.

UniversalConsciousness

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
7 Avr 2009
Ok so does having nose problems really make a difference? My nose is partially disabled to say the least.....I have a difficulty breathing through my nose....doctors are not sure what's wrong.....it affects sense of smell too in a negative way making it a lot worse.

Because of this I usually use my mouth to breathe, whether meditating or not....is this worse or something? My nose is handicapped so it wouldn't really be fair if my meditation wasn't as effective just because my nose has disabilities.

overman

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
1 Avr 2009
I can relate to the eyes slowly opening at times. In fact, I find if I consciously keep my eyes shut, my eyeballs have a habit of moving around on their own. It becomes distracting since I'm trying to be as still as possible.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Meditation is not posture, it is a state of consciousness.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Forkbender a dit:
Meditation is not posture, it is a state of consciousness.
I don't meditate or practice yoga often but I do like the system of
posture -> body,
breathing -> nervous system,
meditation -> mind

The nervous system being the bridge between body and mind. The ability to feel where your limbs are and how they are configured (proprioception) is just an as important sense as light or sound when it comes to these exercises.

What do you think?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I agree, but what I was trying to say is that you don't have to be in a certain position to meditate, that forcing yourself can be good to get some discipline, but in the end becomes an obstacle itself. Ultimately, meditation is not just practiced in a certain posture, it can coincide with all postures and all states of physical being. It might be harder to meditate as a beginner while you are running or talking to someone, that's why they have meditation postures, which align your body and mind to make it receptive. However, it is better to relax than to twist yourself in one of these postures, relax your body and your mind in any posture you want.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Thanks for all the advices it sure helps.

It's probably mucus blocking the way, but it's solid enough that I can't get it out. I always meditate in my parents' house and we have two dogs, and I'm allergic to dogs. I don't react to them anymore because my body got used (and my allergies in general aren't too bad now), but maybe I still react a bit and that provokes the clogginess.

I didn't know it was possible to meditate while moving! That's very interesting. I guess I used to meditate a lot without knowing I was doing it 2 years ago when I had no car and my parents would do anything to keep me from smoking weed. I'd just go for a walk, find a nice spot to smoke, and then walk for at least an hour. Were great times ^^ But now that I don't smoke weed anymore, I'll have to try it sober, I'll see the result. I'm also gonna try it for sure when I eat some space yogourt ^^ Cannabis is such an interesting tool for meditation.

Psychoid

Inscrit
27 Jan 2007
Yes, I use a salted water spray from time to time. It doesn't help very much.

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
sometimes it takes a good wash, lots of water. like this: