Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Mushrooms to be banned in Irelandd

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Law change after drug death

The Government is taking steps to change Ireland’s drug laws following the fatal fall of a young local man whose death has been blamed on magic mushrooms, Southside People has learned.Minister of State Noel Ahern (FF) confirmed last week that he is arranging with the Tánaiste and Minister for Health, Mary Harney, to review drug legislation after the death of the man in Dun Laoghaire last year.
The family of the man has already met Government officials in an attempt to get the substance banned.
The young man in his 30s from Dun Laoghaire died after he jumped out of the balcony of his apartment in the town.
There is an ongoing Garda investigation into the incident.
It is understood that the man bought the magic mushrooms at a shop in Dublin where the potent hallucinogenic substances are still legally and openly on sale.
The man had taken less than the recommended dosage that was printed on the packet. Previous to taking them he and his girlfriend and other friends had been playing a game of trivial pursuit and drinking beer.
The man’s family insist that the drugs were to blame for the actions that led to the young man leaping to his death.
In July of last year magic mushrooms were classified as class A drugs in Britain alongside heroin and cocaine.
However, although there has been a long-standing ban on dry or packaged magic mushrooms, it is still legal to possess or sell them in fresh form in the Republic.
Dublin South Central TD Aengus O’Snodaigh (SF), who has been in contact with the bereaved family, said they are trying to make sure that people are aware about what happened to their son.

“They also want more prosecutions against these outlets to make sure that the same thing doesn’t happen to someone else’s son or daughter,

skrudge

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
10 Déc 2005
"The man had taken less than the recommended dosage that was printed on the packet. Previous to taking them he and his girlfriend and other friends had been playing a game of trivial pursuit and drinking beer. "

These mushrooms do have hallucinogenic and often unpredictable effects, he added. Many people can get away with taking them but some people can end up getting addicted and having significant psychotic episodes and something unfortunate can happen, as in this case.[/quote]

WTF???
first of all, this guy is a f***ing ***hole for not following prescriptions, and drank beer in combination with the shrooms. By doing this you can't always know what happens next, in his case he prolly thought he could fly, or just wanted to pluck a few start from the sky. Bad end, own mistake, don't punish everyone else.
Second, his parents don't know shit about shrooms, so no wonder they support the de-legalisation.

Third, the statement I quoted above is pure bullshit. Please, someone, tell me if you, or someone you know, is addicted to mushrooms??

A typicle example of the how-not-to, no sitter,alcohol combination and no preparation. I hope you people in Ireland can fight this somehow.

GerbyQ

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2005
No let’s not go and investigate this, let’s make a big fuss about this so we can offer the solution being; lets ban the mushrooms.

Same drugs story you hear on the news: young man on acid thought he could fly, jumped out of a building window, dead. What a tragedy……
what a dick
If he thought he could fly why didn’t he take of from the ground first to check it out. You don’t see ducks lined up to catch elevators to fly south. Fuck don’t go blaming mushrooms on this guy, he was a moron. Good we lost a moron.
I’ve had some killer times on drugs, now… where’s my news story, why is it always the other guy. who lost his car, house, wife, kids or live. Isn’t news supposed to be objective….
(Bill Hicks)

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Magic Mushrooms have just been made illegal in Ireland.

Dr. Leospace

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
:evil:

On what ground (just because of this incident)? Is this their final decision ??

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Basically just because of that guy (who was also drunk and had apparently only eaten the mushrooms 20 mins before he fell) fell off a building. Heres a news article:

The Government has decided to ban the sale and possession of magic mushrooms.

Up until this afternoon it had been legal to sell the psycho-active mushrooms as long as they had not been dried or processed.

The ban is to be effective immediately and it is understood that some of the 50 shops across Ireland which had been selling the mushrooms have now begun removing them from their shelves.
Advertisement

Magic mushrooms are a controversial product. They have a hallucinogenic effect and those who sell and take them say it is safe to do so.

However, some people have suffered severe psychological trauma and a 33-year-old Dubliner, Colm Hodgkinson, died after taking them.

Today the Government moved to clear up the ambiguity over the sale of magic mushrooms and agreed at the Cabinet meeting to ban them.

The Minister for Health, Mary Harney, has decided to sign a statutory instrument making them a prohibited substance under the Misuse of Drugs Act.

The decision has been welcomed by anti-drugs campaigners. However, it has also been criticised by those who claim prohibition does not work and that magic mushrooms will still be sold on the black market.

Dr. Leospace

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
Very sad and very stupid! :(

I heard he also played trivial pursuit 20 minutes before he fell down, why don't they forbid trivial pursuit then? The Irish government doesn't seem to think before they do something.

Anyway, I guess you have to grow them yourself then...

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Here is the text:
MISUSE OF DRUGS (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 2006

I, Mary Harney, Minsiter of Health and Children, in exercise of the
powers conferred on me by sections 4,5 and 38 of the Misuse of Drugs
Act, 1977 (No. 12 of 1977) as adapted by the Health (Alteration of
Name of Department and Title of Minister) Order, 1977 (S.I. No 308
of 1997), hereby make the following regulations:

1: These regulations may be cited as the Misuse of Drugs (Amendment)
Regulations , 2006.
2: These Regulations shall come into force on the 31st day of
January, 2006.
3: The Misuse of Drugs Regulations 1988 (S.I. No 328 of 1988) are
herby amended as follows:

In paragraph 1(a) of Schedule 1, after "Psilocin" there shall be
inserted "any substance, product or preparation (whether natural or
otherwise) including a fungus of any kind or description, which
contains Psilocin or an ester of Psilocin

Given under my Official seal
this 31 day of January 2006

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
How are they sure it is not because of the alcohol he was drinking? It is proven that alcohol kills more people than all other drugs COMBINED, so why don't they ban alcohol? Or make all drugs legal? I'm sorry for you guys in Ireland, guess you have to grow your own now.
Slan
Forkbender

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Forkbender a dit:
How are they sure it is not because of the alcohol he was drinking?

They didn't even bother to investigate the incident. They just caved to pressure from the misinformed media.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
If the guy fell off a balcony after having consumed a very small amount of shrooms and an unknown amount of beer, I'd blame the beer...

I have taken shrooms in various amounts (with and without alcohol), also LSD a few years back, and I never ever felt the tiniest urge to jump from a window :roll:
However, I have more than once fallen down somewhere (bless god it wasn't a balcony) when I have had too much alcohol. Only alcohol, that is!

abrad84

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
17 Déc 2005
Most people in Ireland are so ignorant they don't even realise alcohol is a drug and that guys parents probably drank so it was just easier to use shrooms as a scapegoat.
Irish customs have now started seizing salvia and san pedro even though the are completely legal. This could be the end of the head shops in Ireland.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
This calls for some activism combined with a public awareness campaign.