Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Massachusetts decriminalizes cannabis

Dreamsters

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
23 Sept 2008
Well, I being from Toronto but currently living/working in Buffalo, NY where I read the NORML New york state laws stating 25g or less is a "civil citation" and a 100$ fine, when I know people who have been caught with 2grams on them and have been put in jail for a week here and have to go through 6 months of this thing called "drug court" where you get drug tested once a week and if you fail you get a week in jail.

spice

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Unfortunately, this is how the change evolves.

In the early stages, what you are talking about is very common, because the police don't acknowledge that the law applies to them, until it is forcefully jammed down their throats via the courts; ie; lawsuits.

People have to be willing to SUE these fuckers.....and a lot of people would rather take the easy way out and just forget the wrong they've been done, and go along......this is what they count on.

If the law says it's decriminalized, then, by god, the cops are liable in civil court when they prosecute in a contrary fashion.

This means that they are liable, civilly ($) when they violate the written law, but these violations MUST BE PURSUED in court.

They can be sued, and you can get MONEY from them, as this is the civil remedy available to you when the cops violate the written law.

It's called 'compensatory damages' and 'punitive damages'.

You can force them to pay for your lawyer, and the court costs, and pay damages.

When the law is on the books, you have a rock-solid case, simple as that, but it M-U-S-T be pursued.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Your right . There is no fight/ing . Its every man for himself . ( sorry , but thats the same with file sharing . Most people pay the bill and it doesnt get to court ) .

But as you know there is a diference between being in the right and getting your rights . Only rich people ....... or people with a good solicitor get their rights .

I`ve just spent the last week fighting with my bank , the courts , the police and soliciters . I am 100 % in the right everyone says it ..... exept the bank . But i`m not getting my rights . I`m going to have to fight to get them and it will take ages and cost me a lot of money .

Civil courts have no right to abolish or prevent federal laws . One might be sucessfull in the local courts but the government just goes to a higher , federal , court and definately wins . They would never pay damages in a case like that .

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Perhaps, but what was talked about above, concerning New York state, doesn't involve federal prosecutions, it's local authorities, who are the yahoos in that scenario.

They are too damn well liable civilly, because the state law is the law these people are arrested under, and the state of New York has no legal recourse ala the Federal courts.

They can't take it to a federal court in hopes of escaping liability.

There is no protection for them there.

Maybe your situation is different, but I know the law in this area, and people must file suit to get results, that's what eventually makes the cops realize they can't behave the way they do; it costs their departments money. The brass
tells the supervisors, who tell the officers on the street.

' Word from the top is we can't arrest people for this anymore, there have been civil damages awarded'

Shit rolls downhill.