Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Is sleeping overrated?

G

Invité
http://www.mindupdate.com/2007/04/the-m ... t-need-it/

(I don't have the time for a proper intro, so I'll use the good ol' "Discuss" tech)

Discuss
cigare.gif

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
no.

i dont read the article, but if i don't get 10 hours of sleep I'm retarded.

Stephenn

Banni
Inscrit
26 Sept 2011
There must be moderation in the sleeping duration.
Our sleeping duration must be with in the 6-8 hours that are good to be healthy and wise.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
The 6-8hours interval is an average estimate, it's certainly not a "must" for all people.. Some people might need more, some even less, as is mentioned in the article, some people apparently need hardly any sleep at all.

I think it hugely depends on someone's everyday state of mind, thereby it being very different for different people. And it could even be different for the same person during different periods of their life. Actually I'm very sure this is the case. Consequently why could "extreme" cases hereof - people needing hardly any sleep, or on the other hand needing huge amounts of sleep - not be possible..?
Imagine naturally being in an amphetamine-like state of mind most of the time. I don't think this is impossible. I'm guessing sleep would be very overrated and pretty much a waste of time in that case. On the other hand, a person being in the exact opposite state of mind might need enormous amounts of sleep.

What I do question is whether it is possible to not sleep at all, for after a while, as far as I'm aware, people start hallucinating, falling into an extremely altered state of consciosuness. And from what I've read this state of consciousness is not very appealing to most. However, for all I know, the mechanism producing this altered state of consciousness might not come into action at all in people that need no sleep.

ararat

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
Mescaline a dit:
What I do question is whether it is possible to not sleep at all, for after a while, as far as I'm aware, people start hallucinating, falling into an extremely altered state of consciosuness. And from what I've read this state of consciousness is not very appealing to most. However, for all I know, the mechanism producing this altered state of consciousness might not come into action at all in people that need no sleep.

in a school of buddhism in japan, called tendai, they practice an asceticism which consists of walking in a circle for 90 days - with no sleep. just every now and then they allow themselves to sit down. I saw that in a documentary, it also talked about the "marathon-monk", which seems completely crazy too.
anyway, I can't by any means imagine to walk in a circle for 90 days, sitting for 10 days appears enough for now.. the monk said that after some time the sound of birds change, they don't sound like normal birds, but birds of paradise :D

G

Invité
Oh well, I'll put this in the news section, it hasn't moved in a while anyway.

S

Serafima

Invité
Well hello to all! :rolleyes: I think that this Vietnamese man had not wasted even a moment of his life in a dream .. (after having been sick, of course), i would call it a fully lived life! Anyway i need 10hrs sleep, becouse if not, my skin will look awful! :wink:

Barett

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
20 Fev 2013
Hi All,
Studies have proved and it is recommended to sleep for 7/8 hours in a day for a healthy and active life. Having enough sleep will improve your memory, sharpens your attention and results in better grades/output. Having enough sleep reduces stress and helps healthier and longer life.

SWIMchem5

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
15 Août 2012
7 to 8 hours is an estimate. Some people sleep up to 10 hours. Others sleep 8 hours and take a long nap in the afternoon (for 1 to 3 hours). Sleep is not overrated. The only people who think sleeping less than 3 hours a day is cool are meth heads who stay awake for 36 hours straight and look like sh#t. Scientists stay up late studying and investigating, but they get to sleep until later next day. Some body builders sleep for over 12 hours in order to build more strength and muscle mass. Caffeine in moderate amounts can help you stay awake longer. However, the people must still sleep (even if it's at a later time). Our brains are wired to sleep and die without it. Our brains figure it's worth the risk of being attacked at night because knowledge (and retention of knowledge) is more powerful than massive strengh. Even lions sleep! Wake up and realiye that sleep is the fundamental force than drives our everyday lives. After 100 or n more hours of no sleep. The brain WILL shut down, your muscles will disintegrate, your skin will look like tar, and you'll collapse in a state of pure irritartion, ithiness, extreme pain, disorientation, and it WILL feel like pure concentrated hell. HELL! Even lord pain will seem less painful. Severe suffering and depression. Sleep or DIE!

pf1286

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
30 Oct 2007
No sleeping is not overrated. A beauty sleep is one of the most important things to stay healthy.

Caleb

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
27 Mar 2013
Well according to my knowledge the average sleep hours are best because if you sleep less you feel sleepy eyes and if sleep more then you feel tired body... So I think the 8 hours sleep is enough but if anyone want to sleep more then he sleep for not more then 10 hours.