Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Is alcohol a serious drug? (For fun!)

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
less than 4 drinks significantly reduces your risk of stroke.

The problem is our society heavily condones getting drunker than a skunk every friday night.

You really should never ever get drunk enough to a point where you can't drive a car - that just shows your immaturity and ignorance to what the substance is and how it should and can be used.

I believe all these substances that are not directly poisonous have benefits.

But they also all have great faults, but more people fall into the faults than the benefits.

Teonanacapilli

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
26 Oct 2009
IJesusChrist a dit:
less than 4 drinks significantly reduces your risk of stroke.
Is this a benefit that the source fruit or grain could not provide in itself? Apparently red wine is full of antioxidants and as such is good for the heart and brain. BUT these antioxidants come from the grapes used to make the wine, so why not skip the negative effects of the alcohol and get right to the wholesome fruit?

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I don't know much about this topic, but I think it may be due to the process of making wine that these antioxidants are formed.
if they were in the fruit itself there'd be a hassle about it, I'm sure.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Is this a benefit that the source fruit or grain could not provide in itself? Apparently red wine is full of antioxidants and as such is good for the heart and brain. BUT these antioxidants come from the grapes used to make the wine, so why not skip the negative effects of the alcohol and get right to the wholesome fruit?

exactly.

hassle about what? there are antioxidants(and plenty of them) in perfectly ripe, unaltered fresh fruit. no need to process for this, i can assure you

some real studies were done, and apparently eating any abundance of anti-oxidants does nothing for you... just another marketing scheme.

really, they do NOTHING? is that so? ... i dont believe. that is to say also, that i don't buy into what extremety the ad campaigns have taken the ACTUAL benefits, either

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Old topic, i'm aware of it, but i was reading it through and was thinking if there aren't any good effects about alcohol.

I thought that one portion of alcohol, let it be a glass of wine, beer or whisky, was actually healty, can anyone comfirm this?

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
i cant confirm it but i've heard the same thing

i've heard in particular that a glass of red wine with dinner is quite healthy
but i cant remember the source (possibly TV so be wary haha)
and i also dont know what exactly the benefits would be

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Oh right red wine, but i do know why red wine is good, it contains a lot of antioxidants, coffe is said to be a good source of antioxidants too, though this is rather subjective.

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
Alcohol is medicine too, Its just that its potential for abuse is endless.

I gave a more detaild post on page 2 of this thread :D

GregAndrsn

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
12 Fev 2011
Alcohol has a very sharp toxicity curve. you drink just a little bit too much and it becomes a poison...

but. if you have a drink or two your senses are heightened, with most psychodelics. it is at this point that it is a very useful thinking tool. sometimes it is easy to miss this stage of the buzz, sometimes it just isn't there at all. i don't think hard alcohol is very good for much of anything, though. maybe if its diluted enough.

and yes a drink a night of any alcohol significantly lowers your risk of stroke and artery problems. but 3 or 4 drinks a night will do something like qquadruple your risk of other very serious illness (and death...)

it's best to do it in very little increments, such as all drugs. all things in rodemation.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Yea i know, i was just trying to find a good excuse to drink some good whisky now and then after work. :D

Not that i drink much alcohol, not by far, i mean in quantity, i do drink about 4 times a week, but usually not more then one unit, in the weekend sometimes more when we go out eating, but never not till i'm drunk, not even till i'm tipsy, it happens ocasionally but maybe 3 times a year, i drink alcohol because theres just a lot of tasty drinks out there that contain alcohol.There's lots of good wine, whisky, liquers and cocktails, and i really drink them because they taste good, not for the alcohol, in fact sometimes i think it's annoying that it contains alcohol, cause some cocktails taste like liquid candy.

That said, i do eat lots of fruit too. :p
A banana every day, 5 mandarins, and an apple at work.
And at home sometimes some grapes and a kiwi too.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
GregAndrsn a dit:
i don't think hard alcohol is very good for much of anything, though. maybe if its diluted enough.

It's a matter of how you drink it. If you drink it from huge glasses just to get drunk quickly, then it's good for losing consciousness and/or getting your teeth kicked in.

However, I do like Scotch whisky and also other hard alcohol like Grappa or good fruit Schnaps. You drink these out of small nosing glasses, and you don't down them like some cheap vodka, but you sip them slowly because they taste really good at room temperature. It's really important to always fill the glasses to the measuring line only, never fill hard alcohol in water glasses, or you'll drink way too much in the blink of an eye.
By the way it also helps when that bottle of Lagavulin 16yo. Scotch costs 50 Euro - you don't just pour that down ;)

GregAndrsn

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
12 Fev 2011
To Illusion:

Alcohol alone has no affects on free-radicals in the body. Ethanol (alcohol you get drunk with) is a very small molecule...

On top of that there have been a good amount of scientific evidence that anti-oxidants (things that 'get rid of' free radicals) don't do anything - your body makes way more than enough to combat our daily intake of such things. Although fruits do contain anti-oxidants.
I don't think there is much good to alcohol other than it opens the blood to the brain abit, makes you consciously aware of your brain (low doses - due to the change in consciousness (((for some people))) ).
To be devils advocate, people in colonizattion of america !!only!! drank beer and alcohol. I dont know how they lived off that, but i guess it is possible! the thing was water in europe was too dirty to drink, so they had to make beer to sterilize it. that belief held over when they came to america aswell so they kept drinking it and only it.

there was something on the histoire channel that said the egyptians drank 3 gallons of beer a day. granted it was around 2% alcohol. i would take anything the histoire channel says with a grain of salt though, theyve shown some straight up bull crap on their channel - things that a simple google shows up to be falsified.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Oh yes Triptonaut!
Lagavulin is one of my favorite whiskies, Bruichladich, Laphroaig and Ardbeg are also very good whiskies.