Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

DMT trip - what happens in the brain?

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Someone I know thinks a DMT trip is nothing more then a huge amount of Melatonin released by the brain, but it's probably much more, I know this was discussed here somewhere before, but I can't find it back.

Is there a way to explain to me what a DMT trip does with the brain?
I'd be happy to know!
Thx! :)

aryaman

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
29 Sept 2008
surely melatonin is a tryptamine (N-acetil-5-methoxy-tryptamine), but I don't think a lot of melatonin is the same of dmt, although they interact in the same part of the brain.

Would be nice, just need to buy a pack of melatonin then =)

I can pass you the book "DMT the spirit molecule", if you want. Just pm me.

Faust

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
11 Nov 2006
Thats nonsense. Melatonine seems to regulate sleep/wake pattern. DMT isn't the same as melatonine.

What actually happens isn't really known. DMT seems to attach to serotonine recepters (I dont know exactly which ones.). But why it produces intense trips isn't known.

skoeip

Inscrit
19 Nov 2004
I am reading the spirit molecule a the moment and this caught my eye (from page 312/313)

There also may be biological compon...sues in ways that previously were impossible.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Most indole alkaloids bind to serotonin receptors (serotonin is an indole itself).
There are many types of serotonin receptors, and each is differently affected by DMT.

Some info about DMT and the 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptors:
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2421387

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Dmt seems to flood every sense and feeling you have. aka, it releases the flood gates - and very rarely it seems to release the "regret" or fear signals that come from the cingulate gyrus. Which is extremely important to the healing effects of DMT.

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
it sounds as if DMT would be an excellent drug to test for psychiatry/psychology?

Hyperion1980

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
27 Sept 2006
one Answer: Rick Strassman: DMT: the spirit molecule.

For me consiousnous is projected out of the body

must read: Monroe: Journeys out of the body, far journeys, Ultimate Journey.

OOB experiences are much like DMT, the same as ALIEN ABDUCTIONS

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Bollocks . We dont need to introduce wierdo ideas to a person on a trip . You have your trips and let others have theirs .

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I don't believe you have to read someone elses interpretations of a DMT trip. If you can't understand whats going on yourself, you shouldn't need to anyways.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Thanks for the input, but I allready have DMT - The Spirit Molecule, but I can't find what it does with the brain, I mean the chemical process, is it because of a release in dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, a combination of all the above, that makes you trip?
What receptors are getting triggered when on DMT?

I know what the effects are. :lol:

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
They believe that DMT is what makes you "see" when you think...
i.e. imagine a pink elephant in your mind, you see this pink elephant?
Not really... but kind of.
Now, when youre dreaming and you see a pink elephant, do you see this pink elephant? Basically.
Now imagine a flood of serotonin, distorting vision and making geometrical patterns, as well as "seeing" your thoughts on an extreme level.....

like I said, it just opens the flood gates - much like mdma does with dopamine, except DMT just releases all types of communicators.

st.bot.32

Inscrit
5 Oct 2007
IJesusChrist a dit:
They believe that DMT is what makes you "see" when you think.. (snip) as well as "seeing" your thoughts on an extreme level.....

it's interesting, I haven't had a chance to try DMT yet (hopefully soon), but other tryptamine psychedelics certainly intensify this effect also...

eg on lsd, I close my eyes and imagine somebody, a projection/characture of them appears and is absorbed into the psychedelic mandala/flow of imagery. i have in the past found this sometimes to be a very direct method of finding out how my mind projects

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Faust a dit:
DMT seems to attach to serotonine recepters (I dont know exactly which ones.).

Well, seems likely, you'll almost feel the exact same warmth, softness, love and peace as with E after coming out of it.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
IJesusChrist a dit:
like I said, it just opens the flood gates - much like mdma does with dopamine, except DMT just releases all types of communicators.
What flood gates? Do you mean like MDMA and serotonin? Well they don't work alike.

Interesting link about drugs in the brain: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... mouse.html

The DMT mechanism is similar to that of LSD in the animation.
+ see my previous post

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
And of course every single chemical reaction in your body is interconnected, disturbing an equilibrium has other, indirect effects; like the small release of other neurotransmitters and hormones when on MDMA.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
DaZeD a dit:
Thanks for the input, but I allready have DMT - The Spirit Molecule, but I can't find what it does with the brain, I mean the chemical process, is it because of a release in dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, a combination of all the above, that makes you trip?
What receptors are getting triggered when on DMT?
The following text is not about DMT specifically, but I do think it answers your question.

http://www.heffter.org/review/Review2/chap5.pdf

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Thanks for the link CM, it's very well formulated

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Thanks Caduceus!

IJesusChrist a dit:
They believe that DMT is what makes you "see" when you think...
i.e. imagine a pink elephant in your mind, you see this pink elephant?
Not really... but kind of.
Now, when youre dreaming and you see a pink elephant, do you see this pink elephant? Basically.
Now imagine a flood of serotonin, distorting vision and making geometrical patterns, as well as "seeing" your thoughts on an extreme level.....

Interesting.
Fuck!
When you think of it, we only use such a small territory of our brain!
Immagine that we could be able to experience the power of a full 100% active brain, like all possible connections made with every neurotransmitter, gland and receptor there is.
These substances are just "keys" to take us to the door of something unimaginable.

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
DaZeD a dit:
When you think of it, we only use such a small territory of our brain!

Yeah, at the same time

DaZeD a dit:
Immagine that we could be able to experience the power of a full 100% active brain, like all possible connections made with every neurotransmitter, gland and receptor there is.

In this society that's called psychosis, in ancient tribes and cults it's called shamanism :roll:

Caduceus Mercurius a dit:
The following text is not about DMT specifically, but I do think it answers your question.
Awesome! Thanks :thumbsup:
Interesting read