Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Delaying mycelium growth, then resuming?

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
So my monkey heard somewhere that you can referidgerate your innoculated jars to stop the growth if you need to for whatever reason.

but the monkey diddnt research this properly b4 doing so. so for you mushroom experets out there. do you think being in the fridge for afew days, then taking them out and putting them back into the incubator at 86F will effect growth?

theres alot of moneys worth of spores in those jars, my monkey is exreamly worried that it made a bad choice :( :|

peach

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
It's not an issue. The only way you'll hurt the mycelium doing this is if it gets cold enough to freeze it. Freezing things causes the water to grow into crystals, which can puncture the cells. Even freezing something in liquid nitrogen can do this; that's why cryogenics doesn't work so well. If I dunk a banana in liquid nitrogen, it comes out solid, then turns to brown mush when it warms up; because all the cells are punctured and oxidizing. Provided they didn't freeze, they'll be fine. In fact, they may grow back more vigorously as a result of the cold. There are certain plants and mushrooms that can sense the change in seasons. When summer starts drawing to an end, the cooler nights triggers a biochemical pathway that tells them it's time to drop their seeds for next year.

Cooling them won't hurt them. Freezing them will. Some fridges will freeze things if they're turned down too low or if the packet is too close to the back or walls. If you can put commercially grown mushrooms in your fridge and not have them come out at brown / mush, or anything else in there freeze, I would guess your 90%+ okay.

trick

Banni
Inscrit
2 Sept 2007
heh, how about the incubation malfunctioning and raisting the temp to 93.4 for about an hour or so?

:/ i saw a line graph showing the growth patterns at diffrent temps, but it wasnt clear if the growth returns back to normal when the temp does.

hence the purchase of the aquarium heater for a new incubation device(2 tubs, one with water and the heater, and the other inside the first with the jars)