Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Cocaine & Olanzapine

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
I have been prescribed Oleanz (Olanzapine) by the doctor for medical reasons. If i skip my pill for a day and do cocaine on the day will the substances still react?? Is it safe to do cocaine while on Olanzapine?? Also, can cocaine be used recreationally or if you are a user you have to be addicted to it??
Thanks
(Only reply if you know what you are talking about)

Crimzen

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
i have no idea what olanzapine is

you CAN be a recreational user of cocaine, i've never known a coke adict but thats just because in my region its all meth
my cousin used to take coke recreationally, its just like anything else, in moderation and using self control its possible to take it every now and again

the real question is how frequently is 'recreationally'??

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Olanzapine is psychiatric medicine. If i skip it for a day and do coke instead will the combination it be dangerous? And by recreational use of cocaine i mean few times in a year.

gammagoblin

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Mai 2007
The halflife of olanzapine is 21-54 hours, which means that after 24 hours you still have at least half the dose in your body that you took the day before. So I think that if you don't want them to interact you will have to stay off the olanzapine a little longer, which probably isn't a very good idea.. depending on the magnitude of the problems you are having why you are taking the olanzapine in the first place.

Besides, olanzapine is an antipsychotic, and it works primarily by inhibiting dopamine which is said to be the source of psychic difficulties. Cocaine on the other hand works by increasing the amount of dopamine which can worsen your psychic problems. So a bit of caution is advised. For some it is no problem at all, but others end up in a full blown psychosis.

I don't know if there are interactions between olanzapine and cocaine which makes a significant difference, or whether or not there are extra health risks.. did a quick google search and couldn't find any info on it ether but I would say that if you are taking both the olanzapine and the cocaine that the effect of cocaine is in any case a bit less strong.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
There are no known dangerous interactions between cocaine and olanzapine. Actually studies have been conducted to investigate its potential as a treatment for cocaine dependence (some studies concluding it is effective while others conclude it is ineffective, in contrast to some other atypical antipsychotics, which do seem to be effective; and compared to some typical antipsychotics which seem to actually increase potential for cocaine dependence).
Another study concluded olanzapine actually protects from acute cocaine toxicity (in rats; PubMed-link).

If anything, it seems to be a good thing to combine olanzapine with cocaine use. Also, as gammagoblin pointed out, it might decrease the effects of the cocaine slightly. Although, according to wikipedia, olanzapine seems to primarily affect serotonin receptors, and to a lesser degree dopamine receptors. So, its attenuation of cocaine's effects is probably really very small, compared to antipsychotics that primarily affect dopamine receptors.
One more thing you should know, if you don't already, is that people with a psychiatric condition are on average more prone to substance dependence, compared to the general population. And, as gammagoblin said as well, cocaine can increase psychotic symptoms.
So really keep your cocaine use to a minimum and do not compare yourself to friends who are not in a similar condition. Be extra careful and start with low doses to see how you respond.

Crimzen

Inscrit
16 Oct 2008
if recreational is a couple of times a year then no you wont get addicted unless you take more than a couple of times a year
just as long as you have the willpower to say no after you've had a couple of tries
not telling you how to take your drugs just that its easy to casually slip into an addiciton

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
gammagoblin a dit:
Besides, olanzapine is an antipsychotic, and it works primarily by inhibiting dopamine which is said to be the source of psychic difficulties. Cocaine on the other hand works by increasing the amount of dopamine which can worsen your psychic problems. So a bit of caution is advised. For some it is no problem at all, but others end up in a full blown psychosis.

Thanks for the warning.
I've done MDMA without any psychological problems. In that case will i be able to do cocaine without a psychosis too??

gammagoblin a dit:
I don't know if there are interactions between olanzapine and cocaine which makes a significant difference, or whether or not there are extra health risks.. did a quick google search and couldn't find any info on it ether but I would say that if you are taking both the olanzapine and the cocaine that the effect of cocaine is in any case a bit less strong.

I don't mind if the effects of cocaine are reduced.

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Mescaline a dit:
There are no known dangerous interactions between cocaine and olanzapine.

If anything, it seems to be a good thing to combine olanzapine with cocaine use. Also, as gammagoblin pointed out, it might decrease the effects of the cocaine slightly.

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure that there is no dangerous interactions between cocaine and olanzapine though? I value my life and i don't want any psychosis or death.

Mescaline a dit:
One more thing you should know, if you don't already, is that people with a psychiatric condition are on average more prone to substance dependence, compared to the general population.

I have done MDMA several times without any addiction or dependence to the substance. Will i be able to do the same with Cocaine in that case??

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Crimzen a dit:
if recreational is a couple of times a year then no you wont get addicted unless you take more than a couple of times a year
just as long as you have the willpower to say no after you've had a couple of tries
not telling you how to take your drugs just that its easy to casually slip into an addiciton

Hey no problem, i understand your warning. According to my recreational usage i was thinking about using it around 5-6 times a year. Provided everything goes well the 1st time (I'm not sure I'll be doing it yet)

Will i still get hooked on if i do it 5-6 times a year

gammagoblin

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Mai 2007
toogoodforyou a dit:
gammagoblin a dit:

Thanks for the warning.
I've done MDMA without any psychological problems. In that case will i be able to do cocaine without a psychosis too??
My guess is you will be able to handle it because I think MDMA triggers more dopamine than cocaine... I don't know this for sure though. That you can handle MDMA shows that you can handle quite something in any case.

Mescaline

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
4 Jan 2007
gammagoblin a dit:
My guess is you will be able to handle it because I think MDMA triggers more dopamine than cocaine... I don't know this for sure though.

It is true that both MDMA and cocaine act on dopamine to some extent, but MDMA primarily affects serotonin and to a lesser extent dopamine, while cocaine primarily acts on dopamine (and less on serotonin). That you are able to handle MDMA gives some reassurance that you will be ok doing cocaine, but you can't be sure.

toogoodforyou a dit:
I have done MDMA several times without any addiction or dependence to the substance. Will i be able to do the same with Cocaine in that case??

Cocaine has a greater potential for addiction compared to MDMA. So, again, it gives some reassurance if you don't easily get addicted to MDMA, but you can't be sure the same will hold for cocaine.

toogoodforyou a dit:
Thanks for your reply. Are you sure that there is no dangerous interactions between cocaine and olanzapine though? I value my life and i don't want any psychosis or death.

Yes, for if there would be a dangerous interaction, olanzapine would not be prescribed in case of cocaine dependence with (nor without) co-morbid schizophrenia, and there would not be as much research done on humans in this regard. Besides, the study I mentioned before actually seems to suggest that there is a beneficial interaction, namely reducing acute cocaine toxicity.
Personally, I would be more worried about the cocaine itself posing a danger, by potentially increasing psychotic symptoms. If you want to be on the safe side, I would stick to MDMA, as you say it doesn't affect you negatively.

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
Hi toogoodforyou,

How old are you and what part of the world are you from mate?