Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Attention Whores

ararat

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
sometimes I worry that I may classify as an attention whore. it is a very draining state of mind - this constant striving to "be the best" (facepalm) is ridiculous and exhausting. I'd rather just be and love others for who they are, which can be hard sometimes if you haven't slept properly, got no time to meditate in the morning, are being pulled around in a stream of people in the subway just to find yourself in the lecture hall, amidst of people who all seem to talk with each other but you and you can't get out of your head, etc., there are billions of possible woes and excuses.

was it Socrates who said that people always do what seems the best thing to do? to do a bad thing would then arise out of unknowing (or, as I think, unconsciousness). this is a thesis I can very much subscribe to. some people annoy me, but I can't be overly angry with them for the reason stated above. there aren't really people in my life whom I'd describe as attention whores or psychic vampires, maybe I don't attract that kind of people, maybe I just don't notice them because I'm so self-absorbed :lol:

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
set everyone free. i dont care if they dont want to hear it. people wanted, and are now IN an age where being ignorant is no longer a valid excuse. if its too much for them, well then natural selection deals with overpopulation. a job that should be left out of the hands of the government anyways imo. i will sympathize with the lower levels to the extent that i remain balanced and unaffected by gain or loss, which for the most part is to the full extent. every now and again life tries to draw me into being seriously serious, but deep down and rooted i find that life is very humorous indeed. laughing at the jokes played on you is crucial imo. not only for self developement, but it also can create good time. idk, i just cannot personally think of an instance where i would rather NOT know something. for some of you it may be different, but i have thought myself in circles long enough to have developed a very high regard for information. information is the most sacred thing there is.

forest

Inscrit
30 Déc 2005
hey Mnemo, by coincidence i read this topic, and however interesting as it is, i couldn't help wondering;......... is it save to assume that you have a difficult relationship with your mother......? (or sister, as it may be...) :wink:

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Allusion a dit:
laughing at the jokes played on you is crucial imo. not only for self developement, but it also can create good time.

:wink: lol

Vandraren

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
15 Nov 2010
Mnemo a dit:
what is the best strategy in dealing with a lost cause?
Present your argument and, if there's no possibility for a civil and intelligent discussion, move on. Trying to 'convert' people, even if its as simple as trying to convince them that the world is round, is a medeaval attitude. There's two sides to the issue, the first being the obvious fact that truth isn't something you should force on unwilling people, and the second being that there will possibly be some situations where you yourself are the heretic.
But, as bananapancakes has pointed out, its much easier said than done.

itsscience

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
7 Oct 2010
How do you deal with attention whores?

I ignore them. Attention whores thrive on attention, if you pay them no attention they'll quickly move on to someone who will.

I think it's important to realise that you are not the reason others do things.

On a lighter note when I read the title of this thread Mnem I thought you were trying to get in touch with some whores :)

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
^+++1, yeah that's how I interpreted to.

Attention whores (a sub-sect of "Parents didn't love you enough, and you never learned how to deal with it") come in two flavors:

1) Want attention for no damn reason - These I just stay away from. They've done nothing of note, but wave for attention because somehow they interpret their actions as being amazing.

2) Want attention, and have strong Type A personalities - These I try to incorporate in low doses. They are usually successful people, who are unhappy, because no amount of attention will ever recover the love they missed out on. A good example would be 70% of people in law school. No actual interest in the subject itself, just doing it so that people will think they are important and/or be given the opportunity to talk out loud in front of people.

I know it seems simplistic, but that's pretty much how I handle it.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Why care if someone is an attention whore?
Its harder to be something you are not, being normal is a very hard thing to do.
But being yourself, is very easy.

If that happens, for you to be an attentionwhore.
Who the fuck cares?

sounds like the term was coined by a jelous person! =D

Schwanke668

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Déc 2010
I'm probably an attention whore though unless someone thinks my attention seeking is a good thing. Its not that I do it consciously but Ive been told by several people that I 'attract attention'. I mean things like my hat, my car, thats the obvios stuff, then its like being so vocal on the boards, same in real life. Etc etc.

Its not like I strive for the attention and I never think "Lemme do this so people look at me" but I feel like I have something to offer people. I dont convert or force people so I just figure people will ignore me if they dont find me useful. (Which is what was said was a good way to handle an attention whore anyway.)

So I guess if there is a good version of these thats how I would see myself. If not then well. Sorry. Like just said. Be yourself. Its draining trying to be someone else and someone else I am not!

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
LOL @ THE NAME CHANGE LOL

:mrgreen: HAHAHAHAHA