Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Art/movies/books inspired by higher consciousness?

magickmumu

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
If you think there are many, what others are there that are not included within these 3?

I don't think something should be included, you made this up not me. :lol:

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
magickmumu a dit:
maxfreakout a dit:
magickmumu a dit:
Tripping On what?

any drug that makes you trip

i mean 'the psychedelic state of altered consciousness'

So coffee and sugar meat tobacco. They all don't count. Or do they. :?:

they dont count because they dont make you trip, ie they dont make you experience the psychedelic state of altered consciousness

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
In my mind there is no such thing as THE psychedelic state. There are many psychedelic and non psychedelic mind states. There are different psychedelics and they are not all the same.

I do not understand what you are trying to bring across???

For example what do you think of hypnosis or trance isn't that another type of mind state.

endlessness

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Mar 2008
I diagree max..

you say there is no inbetween states, well then you havent researched much...

Hypnagogic and hypnopompic states are in between waking and sleeping

The come up and come down can also be said to be in between tripping and waking state

The state reached by meditaton is not the same as tripping. The state reached by fakhirs through self-mortification is not the same as tripping. A trauma also induces a certain temporary change in consciousness, which is not tripping. Or hypnosis or schizophrenia or giving birth or or or...

I think that whatever number you chose to be the 'fundamental' in your theory, you will start seeing it all over the place and proving to yourself that this is a good way of dividing things..

but I give you my honest opinion that through this classification you lose more than you gain, because it ignores several very important and functional distinctions. Transpersonal psychology talks of a multitude of states of consciousness and I find that more appropriate.

Jelleb

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2008
Movies:
(don't know for sure, but they're all a bit freaky/drugrelated)

A Scanner Darkly
Alice in Wonderland
Blow
Butterfly Effect
Donnie Darko
Easy Rider
eXistenZ (<- should definitely watch)
Fantasia
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
liquid sky
Pi
requiem for a dream
saving grace
shrooms
The Trip
The Tripper
Willy Wonka & the chocolate factory

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"I do not understand what you are trying to bring across??? "

That hes right . That hes the all knowing superior expert and infalable .

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
magickmumu a dit:
In my mind there is no such thing as THE psychedelic state. There are many psychedelic and non psychedelic mind states. There are different psychedelics and they are not all the same.

but they are all the same, in the sense that they are 'psychedelic', ie they all have some common feauture that brings them together under the banner of 'psychedelic'. It isnt that they are all exactly the same, it is that they all share the feature of being 'psychedelic', and as such they are entirely distinct from 'non-psychedelic' states

magickmumu a dit:
I do not understand what you are trying to bring across???

A systematic taxonomy of states of consciousness

magickmumu a dit:
For example what do you think of hypnosis or trance isn't that another type of mind state.

there are states like 'coma' that are arguably distinct from these main 3, i agree about hypnosis, im not sure about 'trance' because i think in many cases trance can be included in the 'mystical/religious/entheogenic' category. So the awake/asleep/tripping taxonomy is not absolutely watertight, but it does broadly distinguish the 3 major components of life-experience

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
endlessness a dit:
Hypnagogic and hypnopompic states are in between waking and sleeping

The come up and come down can also be said to be in between tripping and waking state

right so you could form a further category for 'transitional' states of consciousness, like falling asleep, or coming up on a trip, BUT this leads to an infinite regress if it is taken too literally (ie - what is in the transition between closing your eyes and entering a hypnagogic state?)

endlessness a dit:
The state reached by meditaton is not the same as tripping. The state reached by fakhirs through self-mortification is not the same as tripping. A trauma also induces a certain temporary change in consciousness, which is not tripping. Or hypnosis or schizophrenia

the word 'tripping' does not capture the entire category, but the terms 'mystical/religious/transcendental' bring together these different states under one category

im not talking about 'changes' in consciousness, but rather distinct realms of consciousness

endlessness a dit:
but I give you my honest opinion that through this classification you lose more than you gain, because it ignores several very important and functional distinctions. Transpersonal psychology talks of a multitude of states of consciousness and I find that more appropriate.

Transpersonal psychology does not say anything different from what i am saying, i am just offering a broadly refined taxonomy of states of consciousness

endlessness

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Mar 2008
maxfreakout a dit:
right so you could form a further category for 'transitional' states of consciousness, like falling asleep, or coming up on a trip, BUT this leads to an infinite regress if it is taken too literally (ie - what is in the transition between closing your eyes and entering a hypnagogic state?)

yes, so what? We know that in quantum physics things are simultaneously made of waves and not just discrete particles. M Theory talks about a fluid membrane vibrating in hyperspace to create our reality.

Why then, do we have to believe/accept your '3 states' psychological theory? It seems to me much more logical that there is a fluid transition between consciousness states and that we have to look at each individual case and cannot make generalizations. Consciousness is a continuum

maxfreakout a dit:
the word 'tripping' does not capture the entire category, but the terms 'mystical/religious/transcendental' bring together these different states under one category

not very refined model, with such broad definition of a state of consciousness, using 3 words like that. Seems to me like a proof of how you want to fit all these different phenomenons into 3's, so you do all sorts of acrobatics to maintain your idea

maxfreakout a dit:
Transpersonal psychology does not say anything different from what i am saying, i am just offering a broadly refined taxonomy of states of consciousness

yes it does say something different, for example it talks about 'non-ordinary states of consciousness', and admits several very distinct states inside this category. It is crucial for a transpersonal psychologist to look at the states individually.

maxfreakout

Inscrit
22 Fev 2007
endlessness a dit:
Why then, do we have to believe/accept your '3 states' psychological theory? It seems to me much more logical that there is a fluid transition between consciousness states and that we have to look at each individual case and cannot make generalizations. Consciousness is a continuum

it's hardly a 'psychological theory', it is just a simple way of taxonomising states of consciousness. Being awake and being asleep are 2 entirely distinct states of experience, regardless of whether there are some 'transitional' states between them

endlessness a dit:
not very refined model, with such broad definition of a state of consciousness, using 3 words like that.

the whole point of it is that the definitions are broad, they are the most broad and simple categories within the overall category of 'life'

endlessness a dit:
yes it does say something different, for example it talks about 'non-ordinary states of consciousness', and admits several very distinct states inside this category. It is crucial for a transpersonal psychologist to look at the states individually.

the category of 'non-ordinary states' in transpersonal psycheology corresponds to what i am calling 'religious/mystical/transcendental states', what Stan Grof calls 'holotropic states'. There are several words for this category of states, but they all refer to the same broad kind of state

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
What about all the religious books around the world? Why did nobody mention these?

They are abused and misinterpreted a lot, like spiritual texts should be, so I think they would fit right in.

endlessness

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Mar 2008
Ganesha a dit:
What about all the religious books around the world? Why did nobody mention these?

They are abused and misinterpreted a lot, like spiritual texts should be, so I think they would fit right in.

yes, religious books many times have very clear higher inspiration, and indeed get misinterpreted and distorted

one example of very deep knowledge is with the books and poems from Rumi, a sufi poet... check for example Masnavi, its incredible!

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Rumi! :heart: