Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

An interesting human individual

Carebear

Banni
Inscrit
11 Juil 2008
Fascinating :idea:

????????

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
ah this savant guys are amazing. I think the most curious thing is that the calculations don't need terrible effort, they just see them in their heads. I imagine numbers too when I don't have a calculator around but my primitive methods must be a joke compared to Daniel's.

I wish I could give him a blotter and ask him some questions :)

oh and that guy that "became" one by being hit by a baseball! I thought people needed to be born like this. I wonder, if it can be triggered, would humans be able in the future to let loose this potential at will?

forgetoz

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Nov 2006
oh and that guy that "became" one by being hit by a baseball! I thought people needed to be born like this. I wonder, if it can be triggered, would humans be able in the future to let loose this potential at will?

Actually it isn't quite letting the potential loose...well, maybe it is to some extent, but the most striking feature about savants is what it seems to be an extremely unbalanced development of some features. As in, having an incredible capability to deal with numbers but lacking social skills (most savants are indeed quite deep in the autism spectrum). Or having a super-human memory yet lacking basic motor coordination, etc, etc...

It's all about brain re-wiring :P

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
great stuff thanks for sharing.

Dr. Ramachandran's talk on TED (about synesthesia among other things) has to be one of my favorites.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
JUST AMAZING! I think he is tapping into a collective consciousness of knowledge. Something that happens to me after 5 grams of Psilocybin Mushrooms, just not in such a mathematical manner, more less spiritual.

Nomada

Inscrit
4 Juil 2008
^ yes; nonetheless math form is a form of spirit form.

Psyolopher

Inscrit
15 Juil 2008
Amazing, reminds me of my mother.....
but she can recieve all kind of info and she's no math genious!
Im not kidding, she says she connects to my life line or some shit!

I dont get it, but she knows what im up to all the time....
i find it very scary actually

Maybe this is similar?!

Btw, this kind of thinking could change the whole way of using your mind!
Fun stuff!

edit:
btw I'm Icelandic....and haha yeah its pretty hard for outsiders to learn! :lol:
And i gotta say, he's fucking quick!

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
forgetoz a dit:
extremely unbalanced development of some features.

yes, although Daniel here proves that it isn't necessarily so.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
user_1919 a dit:
JUST AMAZING! I think he is tapping into a collective consciousness of knowledge. Something that happens to me after 5 grams of Psilocybin Mushrooms, just not in such a mathematical manner, more less spiritual.

Yeah, diving into his internal processes in where 'the larger whole' becomes more transparant. It seems naturally gifted and since has he been more or less in that reality for his entire life it's understandable that it's hard for him to identify with other individuals which is the basic element for social approach.

Imagine how would life be if you'd grow up with the permanent presence of 3 grams cubensis in your system. :lol:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
I've seen this before, but I've just been watching it again with amazement. What amazes me most is how this guy is able to deal with the media. He's being put on icelandic television, he's being put to challenge the chess players in New York - he just does that left-handedly like a total media professional while at the same time using his seemingly autistic brain skills. He seems to have enourmous people-skills along with his other abilities, that is just awesome!

I think the whole program was done really great, the editing and camerawork was fascinating, also the journalistic effort that went into it was really good. I would have guessed BBC at first, but I think it was a discovery channel production? Anyways - quality far beyond the usual tv stuff...
However, sometimes it struck me that I didn't think Daniel's capabilities weren't that far off as the speaker suggested. I mean, don't our minds all work like that, putting memories into shapes? I mean, I don't have any special abilities and I'm not even good at easy maths, but the fact that my mind is using shapes to store things wasn't news to me - and it's not far out, it's just that our "normal people"'s minds can't obviously do these great things - but just have a good trip and you'll see what your mind is capable of... :)