Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

a very tempting offer

druglessdouglas

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
ive been offered a job rehabilitating ex addicts in south america. this will intail being shaman for these poeple and guiding them through *various rituals* while they obstain completely from all drugs.
thats how it was describd
my problem is:
ive never left the UK
this is a long term comitment
thats how it was described to me

i already know what im going to do,
i would like some input though. what would you do?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
In my situation, I wouldn't go. There's just too much to learn for me here, regarding friendship, love, family, dependence, acceptance, hybris and pain. Too many ties holding me here. My quest is not to be a shaman. At least not at this point in my life.

It is a *very* tempting offer, though. This is one of the dream-jobs of any true psychonaut, altering minds for the better, enlightening the unconscious within through a blend of adventure and compassion.

And you would be great at it :!:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
druglessdouglas a dit:
i already know what im going to do,
i would like some input though. what would you do?

I'd ask myself is this a reliable offer? I mean you don't want to end up somewhere in the jungle without pay. Not that money is the most important thing in life, but that's just what I'd ask myself.

Other than that, I'd say absolutely do it if you think you are the right person for the job and want to do it. It's a great opportunity to see the world and meet interesting people.

Pariah

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
20 Mar 2008
For me it would depend on *how* long term it was; assuming I wasn't at university:
1-5 years I would probably take it (assuming I had assurances I would be looked after either money or food wise, and with transport), I would make sure I had enough money for an emergency trip home though.

Any commitment over that and I'd politely decline - there are far too many other possibilities for me elsewhere.

Ofcourse thats just me! I've no problem leaving the UK (the study abroad is a bit of a giveaway), and I don't have a huge number of emotional ties in the uk.

How good's your spanish? :)

Lion

Inscrit
22 Avr 2007
don't hesitate, take the chance.
no regrets!
LIVE

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
i think i would go, but that is because i have no real ties to where i am now other than friends, although that does run pretty deep in me, but i mean, people are people everywhere you go.. it just depends if you can make the jump or not, cause you'll be fine after.

so what do you mean by shaman? like what specifically do you think youll be doing, because shaman is a broad term anymore, and "various rituals" is too,.. or do you not really know yet? idk either way it sounds like the trip of a lifetime :lol:

Bastiaan

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Sept 2007
people are people everywhere you go
I completely disagree on that

I give the same answer as fork did, I'd love to go but I feel I have to learn more here.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
i dunno how u feel about such things, but i'd say a very good thing would be that you would be doing something beneficial for others, which is kind of truly honorable ... probably you should consider what would hold you back (like friends that you want to be with or other things>) and then compare whether it would be more important for you to do it or not. also maybe if you aren't really sure you could ask for some more info, if thats possible or maybe you could talk with your friends...sometimes they know better what is good for you or what you want or well ... i mean talking to them can make it clearer for you what you are about to do and your perspective on it.

i'd say it could be really cool. i don't know which country you would go to, but i guess it wouldn't matter that much as you would be in the jungle anyway!? of course it would be an amazing opportunity to see south america and get to know the people there..don't know if you have been out of europe, but native people in south america can be really interesting and really cool, as well. anyways... i wish ya all the best druggie!!! :weedman:

i would do it, if i were offered this and if it were in a beautiful place. (like jungle) i guess it's already clear to you that it would be a lot about responsibility for other people, obviously... as you would try to show them how to apply exactly that on themselves (taking responsibility) in a kind and loving way. i have no idea about the ritual stuff, maybe you could get some more info on that. :p

by the way... spanish is the easiest language i know!!!! seriously!!!

peace 8)

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
It is an awesome opportunity and I hope I have one myself. This would deffinately be a dream job for me, but it is a huge commitment, just imagine the knowledge you can gain out of it. I would also take into consideration of basic safety, making sure I get out of there alive. :p

I'd say do it if your ready, it would be an incredible experience.

Carebear

Banni
Inscrit
11 Juil 2008
I think you could do good work there :thumbsup:

magickmumu

Inscrit
3 Nov 2007
If you have a good feeling about this and you really want to do it.
Take a change and go for it.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
ive already made up my mind not to do it. id be doing a better job helping the junkies here and im not very likely to be doing that any time soon.

i was slightly shocked to learn you can get a job as a shaman

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
Won't you tell us where its at? And what kind of a shaman job it is?

I'm interested to know...

I've met people who went to study ayahuasca in various places in Peru. There is a growing demand of travellers who like to attend shamanic ceremonies with someone who speaks their own language. But I feel that mightg not be what you're talking about... so tell us... :D

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
it is somewhere in Peru. ive got te details written down somewhere but i cant find them just now. it wasnt a name i recognised.
from what i understand this couple are running some sort of detox center where purging plays a big part. Ayahuasca wasnt mentioned. there is some sort of ceremonial brew but i doubt it contains anything pleasant.
it may seem strange butthe main reason i descided not to go is my pet polecat. shes almost 8 years old and ive spent a fortune on vet bills keeping her alive. i could find a home for her but i doubt anyone else would keep her in the house. she sleeps in my bed with me and wakes me up every morning by eating my feet. i love the stinky little monster

the couple who run the center are English and Scottish. both are ex addicts themselves

FluidDruid

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
17 Sept 2008
I just bought a polecat 4 days ago! I love em.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
FluidDruid a dit:
I just bought a polecat 4 days ago! I love em.

male or female? males are really stinky. my one is as well trained as a dog. comes when i call and can be walked without a leash. she doesnt like women though

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Mara and I are considering buying a cat. Perhaps we should get ourselves a polecat as well.

Look how sweet they are...

ferret.jpg

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
i wouldnt get both if i was you. the polecat will kill the cat. if they are handled regularly they make excellent pets. if they are badly treated they will take a finger off. not every body likes the smell though. they have a vocabulary of smells. the name Mustela putorus furo means weazle foul smell thief. it does go some way towards hiding the smell of weed in the house though

the best thing about them IMO is they play all the time. cats grow out of playing but polecats never do.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
What did you decide now, Drugie?