Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

What size peyote buttons are active & ready to eat?

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
Ok I've been checking out this site:

http://www.divinecactus.com/index.php?cPath=24

Is that a good place to order from?

I see they have various size of peyote buttons, from 1.5cm - 6cm

What size would be considered "good & active" ready to be eaten/extracted?

I also see they offer a large 7cm button with root - is this so you can replant it when you get it & hopefully it will take root & continue to grow?

I was also thinking of picking up 100 or so seeds since they seem so cheap. Do these store well, or do they need to be planted right away?

What about this "dust" or "powder" Ive seen some people mention on here? What exactly is that and what are the benefits of going with it?

_Avatar_

Banni
Inscrit
19 Jan 2010
JohnnyScience a dit:
What size would be considered "good & active" ready to be eaten/extracted?
Buttons with a diameter of 5 to 7 cm, and then a couple of them. Yes, that's going to be quite expensive.

I also see they offer a large 7cm button with root
I think the 7 cm refers to the size of the root, judging from the picture, not the diameter of the button. The diameter might be 3 or 4 cm, which means you'd need about a dozen of them.

is this so you can replant it when you get it & hopefully it will take root & continue to grow?
Yes. The roots don't contain mescaline, or very little. That's why you need to harvest several huge buttons to have a decent mescaline trip.

I was also thinking of picking up 100 or so seeds since they seem so cheap.
Yes, they are not expensive. Just remember that once your peyotes start to blossom, they will produce more seeds. Also be aware that it takes a lot of time for these seeds to germinate and that the cacti stay very small for an entire year, after which they grow very slowly.

Do these store well, or do they need to be planted right away?
They store well.

If you don't have the money to buy several large buttons, you'll have to wait a couple of years before you can harvest your own Peyote. Consider using San Pedro instead. It's cheaper, can be bought locally, grows much quicker and can be prepared in such a way that it's easy to ingest.

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
hmm. So the deal for 10 buttons that are 2-2cm isnt a good idea to get for consumption? They arent ripe enough yet? Why do they sell onces of that size if they arent active & ripe enough? For replant?

If I would move up to the 6cm button, you're saying I would need 2-3 of these? That is quite an expensive trip... (But hopefully one that you'd remember forever)

Either way it seems like a lot of plant material to consume.

I know san pedro is the next best alternative, but its mescaline content is also much lower than peyote right?

And most people who have done both say peyote is a much better mescaline trip.

So basically doing any type of extraction will take such a large amount of peyote, it would almost be too expensive?

I realize them growing takes a few years. Generally how long does it take them to get to the 6cm range where they are ripe enough to eat?

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
get some seeds, you'll thank yourself in 3-5 years :D

this is interesting:
More rapid growth can be achieved by grafting Peyote onto mature San Pedro root stock

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
yeah no doubt.

So the deal for 10 buttons that are 2-2cm isnt a good idea to get for consumption? They arent ripe enough yet? Why do they sell onces of that size if they arent active & ripe enough? For replant?

If I would move up to the 6cm button, you're saying I would need 2-3 of these? That is quite an expensive trip... (But hopefully one that you'd remember forever)

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
there's no shortcut to peyote. give that notion up. your best bet will be to spend some time growing and cultivating your own, that way you can figure the ins and outs of the plant yourself and possibly grow it to have more alkaloids as well. get a big one with a root and wait a couple years. mushrooms should more than hold you over, at least till the peyote is mature

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
Yeah for sure I realize how important growing your own is & I plan on getting seeds.

But I was also interested in getting an experience now too and not having to wait 4 years...

So the deal for 10 buttons that are 2-2cm isnt a good idea to get for consumption? Or are they not ripe enough yet?

If I would move up to the 6cm button, you're saying I would need 2-3 of these?

What would be a better choice for an experienced psychonaut?

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
Time to grow = time to achieve a certain weight.
With more plants the weight will increase faster.

San Pedro Cactus:
For a trip you need > 300 milli-gram Mescaline.
1000 grams of fresh San Pedro Cactus contains:
0.025 - 0.12 % Mescaline, or 250 - 1200 mgr.
So you will need appr. 500 - 1000 gram of fresh San Pedro.

Peyote:
For a trip you need > 300 milli-gram Mescaline.
Dried Peyote contains: 1 - 6 % Mescaline.
So you will need appr. 5 - 30 gram of dried Peyote.
Which is approximately 50-300 gram fresh Peyote.

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
hmm ok.

So it doesnt really matter whether I get the 2cm or 6cm buttons as long as I have upwards of 300g fresh?

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Thats the idea!!!!

Although, you should atleast wait till they are past their first stages. I don't think they are like mushrooms where alkaloid content by weight is the highest at the early budding stages. It probably stays relatively the same after the first month of growth (by weight %).

completely made up by the way don't trust a thing I say.

JohnnyScience

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
6 Avr 2010
So which buttons should I get, the 2cm or 6cm buttons?

Which is a better choice for more alkaloids, the 6cm?

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
"what size buttons" has nothing to do with potency really. in the sense that if you switch a plant over (lighting) to a pattern for producing more alkaloids, it is in the alkaloid production phase, and not the growing phase. so under these circumstances, you could easily have a 2cm that is just as potent as a 6 if the smaller one was relatively the same age, but had been grown for alkaloids instead of size. see? you also have to account for the random factor of genetic variation within the species. it's foolish to judge a marijuana plant by it's size alone, so why would you try that with any other plant?

there's no way to tell. get some if you really cant wait and tell us how it goes.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
JohnnyScience a dit:
So which buttons should I get, the 2cm or 6cm buttons?

Which is a better choice for more alkaloids, the 6cm?
Peyote-researches show older Peyote's contain relatively more Meskalin.

_Avatar_

Banni
Inscrit
19 Jan 2010
JohnnyScience a dit:
So the deal for 10 buttons that are 2-2cm isnt a good idea to get for consumption? They arent ripe enough yet? Why do they sell onces of that size if they arent active & ripe enough? For replant?

I really doubt a peyote trip would be more memorable than a good San Pedro trip. Peyote has a certain reputation because of its use by Native American Indians, and because of its high concentration of mescaline, but I just don't see why San Pedro or Peruvian Torch couldn't generate a similar experience.

The price we pay for Peyote is in part the price we pay for our European forefathers killing countless natives and putting the rest of them in reservation camps. Nowadays Peyote is an endangered species. All cacti that are sold abroad have been cultivated from seed. Regarding the website you mentioned, they offer 2 cm specimens, because that's legal (as far as the endangered species thing is concerned), and because the production costs allow for an acceptable consumer price. Growing cacti that are larger will take much more time, electricity, space, employees etc. Moreover, there's a good chance some of the cacti will die.

By the way, I think it's mentioned in Trout's book or Christian Rätsch's encyclopedia of psychoactive plants: Peruvian Torch (Trichocereus peruvianus), native to the Andes region, has much higher concentrations of mescaline than San Pedro. However I'm not sure if this is a genetic thing or related to the location where they are grown.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
_Avatar_ a dit:
JohnnyScience a dit:
Trichocereus peruvianus[/i]), native to the Andes region, has much higher concentrations of mescaline than San Pedro. However I'm not sure if this is a genetic thing or related to the location where they are grown.

1. Peruvian Torch is the english name we gave to Tr. peruvianus.
But do natives make a difference between Tr. pachanoi & Tr. peruvianus ?
And is there a difference in Meskalin-content ?
In Peru Tr. pachanoi and Tr. bridgesii (which looks quite different with very long spines) are both called "Achuma".

2. Cactus-researcher F. Ritter (who lived in Chili and made very many trips to countries in South Amerika) classified Tr. peruvianus as a form of Tr. pachanoi.

3. Chr. Ratsch made a big mistake in his book "Enzyklopaedie der Psychoaktive Pflanzen" !
Het picured and described "Cereus peruvianus" in stead of "Trichocereus peruvianus" .
So better not take Dr. Ratsch serious.
See Trout's Notes on San Pedro, page 144 upper left.

4. "Trout' s Notes on San Pedro & related Trichocereus species" mentioned only three analyses done at Tr. peruvianus (page 197).
Djerassi (1955) did not find alkaloids (wrong method) !
Agurrel (1969) did not find Meskalin.
Pardani (1977) found 0,817% Meskalin in dry cactus.
Only cultivated plants were analyzed.

5. Analyses of Tr. pachanoi show 0.331 - 2.0 % of dry plants.

MrCactus

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
31 Oct 2009
1. Weight is just arithmetic: + - volume of a cilinder in cm3.
1 cm3 cactus = + - 1 gram.
At the end of this week I'll weight some Peyote's & San Pedro's for my new webshop !
I'll let you know the outcome.
2. You need at least 300 milli-gramm of Mescaline for a trip.
2. Shops in the Netherlands are much cheaper than English shops !