Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Symbology of a dream

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Here's a tough one:

a few days ago I had a short vision just before waking up. I saw a person, who I thought of as an apostle in the biblical sense, coiled in a huge snake. The snake was letting its grip go.

:shock: WTF?

Any thoughts?

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
do you want a cheap explanation?

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
please.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Hmm, i am still wondering why people do see so many snakes. I have seen them on lots of my journeys. If you google on the symbology of snakes, then you can find to many explanations of this symbol.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I usually don't trust "explanations", but find my own because I was really there and I know how it felt. In this case, I found it hard to come up with anything and it puzzled me, frankly.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
Fork, I think if you want to get something useful out of dreams you should focus on what YOU think it meant.

edit: just saw you already posted that :wink:

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
I think you figured that out yourself but ok.

I think that you can expand the term apostle to the general term of holyness, innoscence. We can even expand it to the term of freedom, on one hand freedom from earthly bindings, as the preaching of Jesus is a preaching for the direct contact of man to God. You see, while the previous, jewish religion stated obligations before one could get in contact to God, the Christian was directly related to God.

The snake, well, it also has a biblical meaning (obviously). Being a symbol for sin, temptation and, according to other interpretations of the bible (Milton), also Satan. Sin/Temptation, in a biblical sense, symbolize the exact opposite of freedom. Being a vice for humanity, they are a prison for a human soul and block out the contact to God. This is no stupid preaching by the way, if you think further, you will find the same attempts with Buddha - cleansing the soul from the earthly bindings.

One can therefore state, that the figure of the apostle/holy man stands in direct opposition to the snake. And as he is captured by it and not in reverse, the conclusion seems obvious.

One needn't conclude that you are captured by temptation or something similar, but that you seem/feel to be not free while you attempt to be so.

My thoughts..

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
^the snake was letting go.

thanks for the cheap explanation. :D

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
Hmmm, the letting go is a process, so the apostle is still captured (that's the excuse a lawyer would give lol).

What did you think about the dream?

I now have very very strange dreams, as I am in fever...these dreams are so trippy.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
I did not identify with the apostle. It felt like a different person. I don't think the snake represents a negative idea. I wasn't raised religiously. One other thing: it was kind of trippy, because the apostle and the snake were just floating in space, not a room or something. I could move everywhere and see everything (which I usually have in dreams), so I was able to experience the letting go of the snake from within the apostle, eventhough I wasn't the apostle.

@mysticwarrior: there's a lot of information there. Thanks. My attitude towards snakes is one of fascination and respect. I think they are very beautiful creatures.

SnakeEyes

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
It's quite tacky to try to explain someone else's dream, so i'll just say what i know of the symbols or what it'd make me think if it were my dream. What restin said about the symbols is correct from the western and christian perspective, but if we go further, to the meaning of the snake in the collective psyche and some of the eastern traditions, its meaning becomes much more positive. The snake symbolises the transcendance, as each being living in two different worlds/elements. This is according to Jung, but there are also many other examples where this theory is confirmed, like in the shamanic visions with ayahuasca, where they often encounter snakes. For some people it can indeed mean facing their fears and negative emotions they experience, but for the shamans themselves there are many snakes in their visions that are considered postive and represent wisdom and consciousness, helping them in their healing practices. Also in the chinese astrology, the snakes are a symbol of wisdom. The sign for the pharmacies is also a snake, representing health.

I don't know much about the symbol of the apostle, it can be, as restin said, a symbol for purity, innocence, holiness, but it could also represent something like religious authority or dogma.

As you see, we can completely turn the meanings around, depending on the perspective.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
The sign for the pharmacies is also a snake, representing health.

I even have seen that sign in one of my mushroom trips.

http://www.psychonaut.com/index.php?opt ... ma&lang=nl

Somewhere in this topic i posted a report of that journey. It's a weird thing, i do believe it represents duality.

Snakes and also salamanders appear to often in trips, to just say it it represents some nonsense. Ones you experience them and see them by yourself, you will understand it clearly.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
False messiahs , profets , dickheads , racists , bigots and hypocrits have the world in their grip .....like a boa-constrickter . But because of the spreading of knowledge , love and enlightenment the snake is loosing its grip . Both will probably acelerate at the end 2012 when all the wich doctos , quack salbers , hypocrits , bigots , astrologers and other blind people get outed and the world just laughs in their faces for the rest of time .

Freud would probably have a wank thinking about your dream .

Symbolology ?

SnakeEyes

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
why duality mysticwarrior?

an interesting book to recommend where the symbology of the snake is further explored is the "Cosmic serpent" by Jeremy Narby.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Recomend ? Is that an advert ? Or did you mean read ?

SnakeEyes

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
a book i'd like to recommend or an interesting book to read if you prefer :wink:

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
"an interesting book"

Does that mean you think its interesting ? Or that everyone thinks its interesting ?

SnakeEyes

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
that i think it's interesting, i can't speak for everybody!

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
God you can be so ignorant. Now you have done your job again, you wasted another good thread, that's in a section that it's meant for it. Are you happy now?

SnakeEyes a dit:
why duality mysticwarrior?

an interesting book to recommend where the symbology of the snake is further explored is the "Cosmic serpent" by Jeremy Narby.

As i said i've seen those snakes on many journeys, especially when i am on shrooms. Often it are trips, where rapid mood swifts do occur and i can almost experience positive moods and negative moods at the sametime. I also am interested in gnostic beliefs, with has a lot to do with dualism.

Since you adverted this book, i will even buy it and will read it soon when i am done reading the other books that i already have to read ;)