Something along the lines of E-Prime

• Auteur de la discussion Auteur de la discussion IJesusChrist
  • Date de début Date de début

IJesusChrist

I know this may seem obvious to you guys, but stay positive.

My reasoning may be a little different, and I'm attributing it to the social phenomenon of the financial collapse world-wide.

Here is my interpretation of the financial collapse and what it really means to us:

Some bankers and investment companies made some major flawed mistakes a while back. Who knows exactly who, or when, but it happened. A lot of money was lost, enough to send the people in the company into a panic, and even the government felt the hit of the economics employed. However - nobody but these big companies and the government, which relies mutually on them were truly affected. Money didn't just disappear - it just went into an unexpected place - another bank, another corporation, somewhere. Money doesn't just "disappear". However, when this much money in this concentrated of a form seems to be stripped from large companies, we end up in bail outs and all types of weird financial things that make headlines.

In the long run, very little people will actually be affected by this. What happens if your bank becomes bankrupt? well - not much, you take your money out and go to a better bank.

Anyways, I could go on and talk about how this doesn't really matter to the average consumer (us) but that is beside the point. Rather, the point is, somehow, the media makes us believe that something is wrong. There is no financial crisis. There is no shortage of jobs. There IS a larger unemployment rate. Why, though?

It is psychology - purely. When we are subjected day to day with this idea that "the economy is going down the tubes" what does that really mean? Think about it... At first thought we think - oh no, jobs will stop hiring, I won't be able to get a job. But why? Why wouldn't you? Because there is a shortage of money? No... There isn't. The money didn't go anywhere.

So, we slowly can reveal the real dilemma is in the susceptibility of us as news-watchers in believing crises exist, when they do not affect us at all. In fact - what do big banks say to do when the economy is bad? Start spending. Why? Because the only problem to begin with is people get scared and stop spending.

I'm not endorsing you to go spend money, in fact, I don't give two shits about the US economy. It is just a metaphor, an allusion to something deeper, something we can really use.

If, instead of us going around and saying to people every once in a while "well if the economy just got better", we said instead "man the economy is really picking up!" do you believe me that it would actually progress the economical progress?

Taking this farther, could we not start saying things like, "Damn, renewable energy is really starting to kick in!" or "People are starting to realize this ___" or "People seem really nice all of the sudden." etc?

1. You have to believe what your saying is actually true, or can be true. - This is because our subconscious mind can pick up on distress in a voice, so if you're saying something like "Wow we almost have flying cars" its not going to get us anywhere.

2. You have to say it to people susceptible to the idea. Obviously if you talk to someone who is absolutely against global warming and doesn't believe it exists and say "We're really making head way on fighting global warming" the opposite effect may happen.

3. You have to be ready to give an example. People like to relate, people like stories. Make up a story or grab one from the newspaper. IT doesn;t matter - as long as you believe you are making a positive difference.

cheers man!!

so i watched that and i liked it... seems like a good man with resonable ideas..
i think you are right about the media thing... its a lot about fooling the masses...
maybe you have heard of the saying: "you can't fool all the people all the time... etc etc"
so, as people are waking up, things will change... the thing is, we, the population will indeed
determine whether the world is a dream or just a nightmare...

hence it is rather crucial how much we let ourselves fool by the deception of the media and what
they have been trying to shove up in our faces. use your own brains indeed. 8)

peace

BrainEater a dit:
cheers man!!

so i watched that and i liked it... seems like a good man with resonable ideas..
i think you are right about the media thing... its a lot about fooling the masses...
maybe you have heard of the saying: "you can't fool all the people all the time... etc etc"
so, as people are waking up, things will change... the thing is, we, the population will indeed
determine whether the world is a dream or just a nightmare...

hence it is rather crucial how much we let ourselves fool by the deception of the media and what
they have been trying to shove up in our faces. use your own brains indeed. 8)

peace

yeah, we have to be careful about what we say and how we say it - we want to improve the world so we have to be positive.

I'm getting rid of demonizing the united states and demonizing people with power, I will speak as if they are gone, or will be gone, and we, the roots, will win.

It is psychology - purely. When we are subjected day to day with this idea that "the economy is going down the tubes" what does that really mean?
Yeah, I've been thinking about something like this lately. Dig this -

In cognitive psychology (CBT and related fields) they get people to rephrase their worries in more e-prime-like ways. So if someone is in the habit of thinking, "I'm a failure", they retrain them to think, "I failed on such-and-such a specific occasion, and succeeded on another."

One of the recurring themes in neuroses is what the call catastrophizing. Catastrophizing is the mental habit of saying, "If such-and-such happens, it'll be awful/ it'll be terrible/ I won't be able to cope!" If a person on a cognitive therapist's couch said that, the therapist would get them to consider the actual, specific consequences, not some vague doom. Like if you lose your job and get deep into debt, what does that actually mean? You go to bankruptcy court, sort out an agreement, work it off for a few years, maybe sleep on your buddy's couch; it's not a catastrophe, just some shit to deal with. That's a much more mature way of thinking about your problems.

When someone catastrophizes on the therapist's couch, it's is thought to pathological. But come out with the same kind of thinking in the press and the media and you will be thought wise and realistic. "Oh no, the economy's going down the tubes!" "The country's going under!" "Economic crisis!" "Food crisis!" "Population crisis!" "Climate crisis" "Crisis!" "Crisis!" "Crisis!"

Why do we accept this immature, unresourceful kind of thinking about public issues? It's far more noble to say, "OK, we have a problem here. Let's assess it realistically and take appropriate action."

Catblack a dit:
It is psychology - purely. When we are subjected day to day with this idea that "the economy is going down the tubes" what does that really mean?
Yeah, I've been thinking about something like this lately. Dig this -

In cognitive psychology (CBT and related fields) they get people to rephrase their worries in more e-prime-like ways. So if someone is in the habit of thinking, "I'm a failure", they retrain them to think, "I failed on such-and-such a specific occasion, and succeeded on another."

One of the recurring themes in neuroses is what the call catastrophizing. Catastrophizing is the mental habit of saying, "If such-and-such happens, it'll be awful/ it'll be terrible/ I won't be able to cope!" If a person on a cognitive therapist's couch said that, the therapist would get them to consider the actual, specific consequences, not some vague doom. Like if you lose your job and get deep into debt, what does that actually mean? You go to bankruptcy court, sort out an agreement, work it off for a few years, maybe sleep on your buddy's couch; it's not a catastrophe, just some shit to deal with. That's a much more mature way of thinking about your problems.

When someone catastrophizes on the therapist's couch, it's is thought to pathological. But come out with the same kind of thinking in the press and the media and you will be thought wise and realistic. "Oh no, the economy's going down the tubes!" "The country's going under!" "Economic crisis!" "Food crisis!" "Population crisis!" "Climate crisis" "Crisis!" "Crisis!" "Crisis!"

Why do we accept this immature, unresourceful kind of thinking about public issues? It's far more noble to say, "OK, we have a problem here. Let's assess it realistically and take appropriate action."

I applaud this post :)

Retour