Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

smoking mushrooms?

themoles

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2005
in carlos castaneda's "the teachings of don juan" carlos was given a wooden pipe that contained a mixture called "humito". it contained psilocybe mexicana and some herbs. does anyone know more about that? i thought psilocybin breaks down when you burn it. and what's with the herbs, do they play a role to prevent anything from breaking down(?) like harmin plays an important role in dmt-brews? i find it so fascinating ... unfortunately i can't find any informations other than stupid pseudo-spiritual bullshit. anyone?

lucasdr

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Sept 2005
There was a discussion about this on shroomery.org once..

Some experts like Weston La Barre or Jonathan Ott said that Castaneda is a fake and that you can't smoke mushrooms, which is all sadly, but true. The story is fiction. Research has shown that it is not effective to smoke mushrooms containing psilocybin or psilocin. I don't see why other herbs would save the psilocybin or psilocin..
In theory though, it is possible to maken free bases from Psilocin and psilocybin....

Psilocin and psilocybin exist in the mushrooms in their natural form, as salt. Salts typically have a high boiling point. Psilocin and psilocybin salt burn/char/decompose before they evaporate. So direct smoking has no effect.

But in Castaneda's book the mushrooms are prepared with alkaline ashes, which converts the alkaloids into their free bases. And psilocin freebase has a meltingpoint roughly equal to that of water and a boilingpoint near to 200 centigrade (if my info is correct). That is just twenty centigrade above the boilingpoint of the most popular smokable cannabinacea plant based oils

Sooo I was thinking: suppose that you have an ethanolic psiloc(yb)in extract of one dose, then evaporate it down (without heat - use a petri dish or watch glass and a fan) and add a few drops of household ammonia just prior to the test.

Now the mushroom alkaloids become freebases. Unfortunately psilocin freebase is reported to be *very* unstable, this is the main reason that the ammonia should be added as late as possible.

Anyway, now you have a ml or so of alkaloid loaded ammoniacal mushroom liquor. Put it on a sheet of tinfoil (use an eye dropper). Take a soda bottle, cut off the bottom and put the bottle on top of the foil (with the alkaloid drop in the middle). Stick/tighten the foil with a rubber band to the bottle. Keep a flame right under the foil, boil the liquor and suck up the vapor.

Albert Hoffman and John F. Casale have reported that they extracted psilocybin and psilocin with success, though you gotta be a chemist to do it, I think. In my opinion, it isn't worth the effort, smoking just doesn't have the same effect as eating...

themoles

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2005
interesting. i would feel dirty if castaneda was really fake, after all i just bought three more books. im not really the type of person who joins group-therapy lessons to move tennisballs - made out of energy - around, though. i found the datura informations quite reasonable, even the flight-paste. is there any proof that his writings are fake? well, i know the question should be, is there any proof that his writings are NOT fake? ... that's better. thank you both for your informations.

lucasdr

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
18 Sept 2005
interesting. i would feel dirty if castaneda was really fake, after all i just bought three more books. im not really the type of person who joins group-therapy lessons to move tennisballs - made out of energy - around, though. i found the datura informations quite reasonable, even the flight-paste. is there any proof that his writings are fake? well, i know the question should be, is there any proof that his writings are NOT fake? ... that's better. thank you both for your informations.
Fiction is not the same as fake. It can still be based on experiences. Nobody seems to know anything about the 3 missing herbs, so there's no way to test it...

Silence_Inc

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
26 Août 2005
i'm reading Castaneda again too lately ... but he tells how it's done. it's soemthing that - the mushrooms are powdered into the pipe and instead of being burned the small mushroom particals are carried by the smoke from the cole (sp) ( small piece of burning wood) - and other herbs (i'm not reallu sure about other herbs but i guess it's like this) ... so through the smoke the particals are carried into the lungs and from there they go further into the system.

what i find in Castaneda's writing and se emore and more - is that he was a tuff student - with a complete rational view on the teachings ... and when teachings of this kind are passed on too someone who tries to 'undertsand' them true ratio and than written down in words and fater that read by us ... well - that's a long way to tell a story that can't be told ... i focuss mainly on how Don Juan reacts to Castaneda's stupideties and try to relate that to myself ... I really belive this because even though Castaneda undertsand shit about what he experiences - even than there are some crucial lesson that he unwillingly gives too us - because he just writes down the ACTs and TRicks of Don Juan ... and catsaneda maybe didn't undertsand it all - but you can find your own way in it.

themoles

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Juil 2005
on erowid there's some talk about that too, guy got serious lung infection because it can not be that healthy having a shitload of spores and dirt particles in your lung. i didn't know about castaneda, i just read some books of his recently, so for me it was quite a punch in the face hearing that it *could* be a myth. i still loved reading it, so what else can i ask for. most of what i found was typical internet-spread garbage, people claiming that peyote does not grow in mexico and that it can't be warm when the sun goes down and even worse, castaneda liked cleaning his shoes so he can't be a sorcerer, a real sorcerer wouldn't care about shiny shoes ... blablabla, seriously, most of those things even made me more confidend that this is not made up.

Andros

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
30 Sept 2005
I've read A Seperate Reality by Castaneda and he wrote that Don Juan let the mushrooms sit in some kind of mixture for a couple years before he smoked it, I've also smoked mushrooms before, and it did put me in a dream like state along with a couple grams of weed... so I'm not really sure. I'd like to try the method that Don Juan supposedly used and see if I could reach that type of state of mind.

(I've always thought that Don Juan was fictional, just Castaneda's inner guide to enlightenment. More like an alter ego that trancended all of his mental barriers.)

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
1. Smoking mushrooms does not work .
2. Castaneda is a FAKE . You are either very naiv or you have not read all his books . Nobody can fly and nobody can walk up trees trunks . In america a stage magician ( Randini ? ) has offered $1,000,000 to any one who can do any sort of magic , " shamanism " , telepathy or e.s.p........NOBODY has proved any of it up to now .
Try reading " Castaneda`s journey " by Richard de mille ISBN: 0-88496-068-4
It`s a bit pety but looks at the story from another perspective .

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Carlos castenada changed many peoples lives , mine included . Respect , thank you . But it`s obviously fiction . To put it in perspective .

One man tells a storey , for money , for thirty years . He has no proof and no witnesses .

On the other side .

There is no anthropological evidence for anything he says . Hundreds of thousands of anthropologists , tourists , yaqui indians , drug freaks , castaneda
freaks , entheogenologen , book writters , journalists , chemists and others have spent the last 30 years trying to find one single piece of evidence to
prove what castaneda said . No one has . But other people have proven in several cases that what he had said is wrong . At least two writers have filed
several books with proof and rational arguments against castaneda . There is no don juan , father christmas , easter bunny , fairy godmother or any other
alibys or easy way outs . There is no super father , no one to blame or to take responsibility for you , just teachers to listen to and lessons on the way .

A group of people were on a journey through the desert , it got dark and wild animals started to howl . They got real scared and tried to huddle together and walk faster . The noises of the night got louder and louder untill they started to run in panic . After a while they came to a river which blocked their way so they ran along the banks . Then just in the last moment when they thought they were about to be eaten they found a boat and used it to cross the river and escape certain death .......They then carried the boat on their heads through dessert for the rest of their lives .

Doubt , honesty and humor are three of the weapons of a warrior . Fear , ignorance , agression ,greed , naivity , illusion and self certanty are some of his enemys .

VerusDeus

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
6 Avr 2006
I once smoked some mushroom pieces(left-overs) in a joint, felt kind of high for a minute or ten and that was it. Just eat them man, smoking is a waste.

Shneck

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Nov 2005
There will always be people that say: Castaneda is a fake, or Buddhism is a fake, or shamanism is a fake, or non-Euclidian geometry is a fake, etc.
When such people hear a proverb, like "You can't hide a nail in a sack" they say: "Bullshit, I can do it in a snap!"
Such people understand everything literally and can't usually read between the lines.
Despite the fact that Castaneda's books are admired by millions of people around the world, while those folks' writings are known to noone except themselves, they still believe they possess the final knowledge and have the right to issue the final judgement.
In most cases they don't even test it to before negating, like it happened at bluelight.ru when a bunch of local experts was flaming a black currant tek suggested by a guy from shroomery.
Castaneda presents himself as such a hardhead in his books to make it easier for the reader to get don Juan's philosophy.
Still, some folks just can't get it.

Shneck

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Nov 2005
You are either very naiv or you have not read all his books. Nobody can fly and nobody can walk up trees trunks .

Mate, I guess it's you who's very naive.
Maybe you have read his books, but seems like you have just wasted your time.