Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Psychedelic Information Theory

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
Seems like an interesting and thought-provoking text. I wonder when James will finish and publish it.

Psychedelic Information Theory
Shamanism in the Age of Reason

Psychedelic Information Theory: Shamanism in the Age of Reason is a landmark text in the field of psychedelic study. Written by James Kent, former Editor of Psychedelic Illuminations and Publisher of Trip Magazine, Psychedelic Information Theory spans the chasm between science and mysticism and fully deconstructs the magic of the psychedelic experience in a way that promises to satisfy both skeptics and true believers alike. James Kent has been studying psychedelics, mysticism, neuroscience, and psychedelic culture for over 15 years, and now presents the culmination of his research in one epic volume. In addition to the most complete neurologic deconstruction of various psychedelic mind states ever compiled, Kent also provides an exhaustive analysis of the way information is generated within the psychedelic state, and how that information transcends the personal mind and influences human culture at large. Finally, Psychedelic Information Theory examines the scientific basis of traditional shamanic powers and techniques, and frames a new model for shamanic practice and clinical therapy in the modern world.

To read various chapters, see the Preview of Table of Contents and Alpha Edition Chapters

Forkbender

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
Moved to Music, Videos and Links, as it isn't really new. Thanks for bringing it to my attention again, though!

Space-is-the-Place

Inscrit
22 Sept 2008
I've been waiting for this for a long time.
I also wonder when it'll be finished and released

Mr.Smith

Banni
Inscrit
28 Jan 2009
the "Words of Caution to the Would-Be Shaman" chapter is most usefull IMO

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
To much to read . Whats the theory ? In simple , short sentances .

Getafix

Banni
Inscrit
18 Avr 2009
GOD a dit:
To much to read . Whats the theory ?
I don't think the book is about "the theory" or "a theory", but just "theory", covering the whole spectrum of psychedelic information.

James Kent a dit:
This book is about what actually happens to the human mind in the psychedelic experience, and seeks to understand the complex mythologies, symbols, ritual trappings, and belief systems which pop up in its paradigm-shattering wake. This book is not about some radical theory or some psychedelic prophecy handed down from on high, this book tries to break it down like it is, no apologies, no excuses, no value judgments. What you believe is up to you, but I have gone out of my way to take belief out of the equation here, and only report on what I know to be accurate and true, extrapolating the missing pieces from the parts that we know to be true, and providing my own holistic interpretation of reality the way I see it. In the end, the truth of what I present here will be proved through the accuracy and repeatability of the models and methods I provide, and as one who has nothing but respect for the scientific method I wouldn't have it any other way.

With that said, I feel compelled to tell you that all of the theories and explanations of the underlying mechanics of psychedelic experience that I present are not really my own, but are taken from the latest scientific research in these areas. There are some parts of this text that will move away from hard science and ebb into bouts of pure speculation on my part, but all of the theories and suppositions presented within are based entirely on the following pillars:

1. My basic understanding of how the brain functions, informed by the latest public domain research, widely available to anyone with access to the internet or a public library.

2. My own first-hand observations of psychedelic phenomena in action, observed in myself and other subjects over the course of many trips, crossing many substances and types of substances, and rigorously cross-referenced in my own notes and mental reconstructions of such events.

3. Public domain reports of other subjects who have experimented with psychedelics, either obtained through personal interviews or via books, websites, e-mails, or other personal correspondence.

The spiritual purists among you will groan at my dogged clinging to science as a foundation in accuracy for this text, and the scientific purists among you will groan at the undue weight I give to babbling trippers about the freaky mind-trips copped from their latest high, but rest assured both of you, a clear and present picture will eventually emerge from these two sides, a holistic view that both embraces the paranormal and gives it a solid foundation within a scientific context.

I will be simultaneously examining two different levels of cognitive functioning; the hard models of networked neural cells and chemical neurotransmitters that we typically refer to as Brain and the soft models of consciousness, behavior, and personality that we typically refer to when describing Mind.

For the purpose of clarity I will separate the two levels of cognitive description with this simple definition: The Brain is the complex set of organs and neural networks which we use to process incoming sensory and outgoing motor signals, and the Mind is the actual snapshot of electro-chemical processes which may be taking place within our brain at any given moment. Using the computer metaphor, the Brain is the processing hardware and the Mind is the software currently running on that machine. Our Brain changes only very slowly and over time, yet we can change our Mind instantly and any time we want. Making the precise distinction between the hard circuits of networked tissue (brain) and the transient ripples of current which flows through them (mind) is crucial to all of the analysis presented in this text.

????????

Inscrit
27 Sept 2007
i wonder what he's up to, it's been quite some time now.

viljo

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
20 Fev 2009
download is complete!

After reading and discovering that PIT includes phycossis. I'm too EXCITED I'll never :cry: read it.

It has dream state, intense shit.

No one in the intire world, except for the (possability) of rick strassman's dmt smack up experiement.
Is there anyway that anyone has every had a hullucination or hullucignetic vision like mine.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
woa, thanks a lot, I was considering to buy it, but now that there is an pdf for free I changed my mind ;)

read about 6 pages now, sounds good so far :D

viljo

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
20 Fev 2009
Actually I like rick.
Rick, did you ever work out or come to the conclusion why you had a 50% to 50% hit ratio that day.
I believe you do.

I think I know why ask me sometime.

hospital

I gonna give the book a fair go james.