Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

More bullshit science: Marihuana kills your teeth

GOD

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Even more bullshit science .

Marijuana Withdrawal Causes Deep Sleep Impairment - More than tobacco withdrawal

A new research published in the journal "Drug and Alcohol Dependence" shows that the effects of withdrawal from marijuana smoking can be as bad as those experienced when quitting tobacco smoking, meaning irritability, anger and impaired sleeping."These results indicate that some marijuana users experience withdrawal effects when they try to quit, and that these effects should be considered by clinicians treating people with problems related to heavy marijuana use," said lead researcher Ryan Vandrey, of the department of psychiatry at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine.The research was made on 6 men and 6 women (the average age of the subjects was 28.2) who smoked marijuana at least 25 days monthly and at least 10 tobacco cigarettes daily. During the first week of the trial, they continued the normal pattern of smoking behavior of both drugs.For the rest of 5 weeks of the study, subjects were randomly chosen to quit either cigarettes, marijuana or both substances for five-day periods, intercalated with nine-day periods of normal use. Urine testing checked the abstinence.The subjects self-reported levels of withdrawal symptoms like aggression, anger, appetite change, depressed mood, irritability, anxiety/nervousness/restlessness, sleep difficulty, strange dreams and others. They also rated the discomfort they felt during each abstinence period. The results showed that withdrawal severity connected to marijuana alone and tobacco alone matched in frequency and intensity.Details differed: Marijuana abstinence provoked a more severe sleep impairment, while mood disturbances (like anxiety and anger) were stronger in the cases of tobacco abstinence."This was a small study, but the findings are consistent with previous research indicating that marijuana withdrawal effects are clinically important," said Vandrey.

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
If I smoke a lot for a couple of days and then stop smoking altogether I usually have trouble going to sleep for one to three days. But once I sleep it's fine.
I never stopped smoking tabacco (never started either :lol: ), though, so I can't compare.

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Even more bullshit science .

Marijuana Withdrawal Causes Deep Sleep Impairment - More than tobacco withdrawal

A new research published in the journal "Drug and Alcohol Dependence" shows that the effects of withdrawal from marijuana smoking can be as bad as those experienced when quitting tobacco smoking, meaning irritability, anger and impaired sleeping.

But that is not bullshit science - it was true for me, and I know it from a lot of people who were real potheads (meaning they smoked on a daily basis all day long).

There was a time when I just couldn't sleep if I didn't have a certain amount of thc in my blood. When it was 3 in the afternoon and I had not had some weed or hash then I got really nervous and irritated. If there wasn't any dope in sight through our usual channels we would then make the decision to drive downtown and get really bad weed for a whole lot of money. Once we were back with that shitty stuff we'd be happy as hell, although we had been totally ripped off by some asshole street-dealer.

When I quit smoking weed (well not totally totally, but almost) I was so afraid of the paranoia I had started getting, that somehow the "addiction" was suddenly gone. It was real easy to quit then - but some time before that, when I didn't want to quit, there was definitely an addiction with all kinds of withdrawal symptoms - and not being able to sleep was the worst.
I have to add I had always had trouble falling asleep, even as a kid. Then I had found the "cure" for that with smoking my brains out - when I took that away again I was probably worse off than others, but I heard the same story from a lot of people: "I want to quit smoking daily, but I just can't sleep at night"

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
I think that most people who stop smoking get some sort of very mild withdrawal symptoms . I stoped last august after 35 years and couldnt sleep properly for 3 days . Most of the symptoms after that were psychelogical plus boredom . The point about the study i posted above was that the study method was bullshit and the pseudo results could not be taken seriously . It didnt prove anything , and everything it said it did prove is common knowledge . The way it was talking about itself was exagerating what it said it proved . The way it said "Marijuana Withdrawal Causes Deep Sleep Impairment - More than tobacco withdrawal " was compairing the sleep problems when withdrawring from both but not the other efects . = its not neutral , they picked the one minor problem with stoping smoking marijuana out and emphasised it and ignored the worse effects of stoping smoking tobacco .The study realy proved that withdrawls from tobacco are worse than withdrawls from marijuana .

It said "A new research published in the journal "Drug and Alcohol Dependence" shows that the effects of withdrawal from marijuana smoking can be as bad as those experienced when quitting tobacco smoking, meaning irritability, anger and impaired sleeping.". Then it contradicted itself and said "The results showed that withdrawal severity connected to marijuana alone and tobacco alone matched in frequency and intensity.Details differed: Marijuana abstinence provoked a more severe sleep impairment, while mood disturbances (like anxiety and anger) were stronger in the cases of tobacco abstinence" wich means that the withdrawls from tobacco are worse than from marijuana , and that the only real effects of stoping smoking marijuana were only a little sleep impairment .

The study itself said that it was only talking about heavy marijuana use and was only measuring symptoms for 5 days . It is already known that the withdrawls from heavy tobacco use last longer , are worse and more people fail to give it up .

jj

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Jan 2008
The article's pretty good. I guess I can skip reading the studies.

jj

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
29 Jan 2008
You can get addicted to cannabis, just like you can get addicted to sex or chocolate. It's a possibility. It's all in how you use it, your relationship with this mind-altering plant and its active constituents.

I used to be pretty irritable if I didn't have pot. Of course, I grew up in a social situation called "prohibition" where access could be a problem. Sometimes, you couldn't find any. Other times, the quality sucked. These days, things seem to be better, where I live. For me, having free access to the stuff takes away that angst about running out, finding some more, finding some good stuff instead of settling for crap, etc.

I guess what bothers me most about these studies is that they are used to prop up prohibition.

I would like to see a situation in which Cannabis is legal and research concerning it is peer-reviewed by unbiased people. Let everyone choose according to their own preferences.

Everything would settle down. No longer would Cannabis use be a symbol of rebellion. It would be a plant that you could use for various medical and medicinal needs, for pleasure, for introspection, for socializing, whatever. Basically, Cannabis would be Cannabis rather than a symbol of criminality, youthful rebellion, whatever. A plant, available for our use, nothing more, and nothing less.

druglessdouglas

Inscrit
14 Mai 2008
CARROTS should be banned too. a recent study has found that beta-carotene dramaticaly increases lung cancer risk among smokers. lets form an action loby. ban the orange menace :wink: