Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

MDMA and MAOI

Bastiaan

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Sept 2007
Fist of all, this is hypothetical
I do not intend on doing anything stupid and I realise this combination can be extremely dangerous
That being said, I wonder what it would be like to combine an ayahuasca experience with an mdma experience
As I understand a MAOI is required for an ayahuasca experience, but a MAOI is dangerous to combine with mdma
Question:

- What is a MAOI's interaction exactly with mdma?

Does it basically just strengthen the mechanism (that would mean taking less mdma, a small amount would give the same effect as a larger amount without a MAOI, meaning the only danger of combining MAOI with mdma would be that the dose would be too strong very quickly and would mean that if you took all nescesary precautions and would have all the knowledge required this could be done safely)
Or are there other parts of the interaction to consider making it dangerous?

chimp_masta_flex

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Nov 2008
MDMA simultaneously stimulates the release of serotonin and inhibits its reuptake, resulting in fuck-loads of serotonin in the synapses and much lulz. Usually, Monoamine oxidase would come along and break down the serotonin, preventing it getting to lethal levels. Obviously the introduction of an MAOI would stop this from happening. I can only assume that the combination of increased serotonin release, inhibited reuptake and inhibited oxidation (breaking down by MAO) would increase the levels of serotonin dramatically enough to cause 'Serotonin syndrome' which is essentially serotonin poisoning.
This is in contrast to say, DMT, which, as far as i know, causes no increase in serotonin levels but instead mimics its action on the receptors, thus rendering it 'MAOI-safe'.

Hope this helps :)