Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Is alcohol a serious drug? (For fun!)

Spencer

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juil 2010
I believe imbibing alcohol is as bad as smoking a bowl of weed. Sometimes much much worse. Yet there are still people who disagree, and (usually because it is still legal) don't consider it a drug at all. Now lets not fight here. I see the huge possibility for cataclysmic argument... But what do you think? Be adult about it.

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Weed is harmless to the body, even benficial and to some degree, protective against cancer even. Check alternet.org, the drugs section for an overview of research into Cannabis over the past years. It will make you happy (and gives you some material to work with when confronted with the 'just say no'ers')

Alcohol is devestating on the body, even in small doses. It's a scientific fact. Where cannabinnoids works by 'fitting' into specific receptors in our brain to give us the magnificent high or stoned, alcohol just deprives our braincells from oxygen, killing a fair number along the way which makes us drunk.

Alcohol is not as bad as smoking weed, alcohol is bad, smoking weed isn't, at least that's what science seems to imply. Personally I don't need the science after smoking for twenty years and never experienced something mildly comparable to the memory loss and hangovers you get from overdoing alcohol.

Peace

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
spencer you cant be serious.

Alcohol is the devils own compund. If you are comparing it favorably to weed, you need some more life experience.....

Alcohol is quite possibly the worst drug ever discovered.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I will list the two proven benefits of alcohol:

1. Less than 3 drinks per week lessens the likely hood of a stroke, somewhere near 70%! It's very effective.

2. Having 3 drinks actually heightens your awareness.

I believe alcohol CAN be used very positively, I have used it many times in a positive manner - psychologically atleast. It has cured some long prevailing problems.

I won't say anything about the bad parts. The 2 posts above me have said what I would have to say.

Our society really does not condone any type of positive use of this substance. It really likes that we abuse it - just like cigarettes & coffe. Legal drugs are a money pit.

Williamsïï

Inscrit
9 Fev 2009
Very serious !
:arrow: (sorry)

Spencer

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juil 2010
spice a dit:
spencer you cant be serious.

Alcohol is the devils own compund. If you are comparing it favorably to weed, you need some more life experience.....

Alcohol is quite possibly the worst drug ever discovered.

First: If I wasn't serious I would not have made this thread. Duh.

Second: Don't give me that life experience bullshit, you don't fucking know me. And If I DID compare it favorably, so do millions of americans around the country. Go ahead and tell 30% of the population (most of them probably with more sucess or cash than you) they need to get on with life because obviously the enjoyment they get out of alcohol is misguided. Fuck that.

Third: I LOVE MARY JANE! But drinking is a pastime of mine that I enjoy quite thoroughly on top of all of the other crazy shit I've done with my life. This thread is made out of curiosity and if you have any more personal digs, please keep them to your damn self, I'm not interested.

IMHO: METH would be the worst drug ever discovered... After that you've got opiates.

Teonanacapilli

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
26 Oct 2009
No drug is the best or worst, it's how people use them. How people use alcohol is very serious.

Spencer

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juil 2010
Nanacapilli a dit:
No drug is the best or worst, it's how people use them. How people use alcohol is very serious.

True that on both counts. Really, I think it comes down to knowing the difference between use and abuse of any substance/chemical people take. You really have to ask yourself. Am I doing this because I want to/enjoy this? Or am I doing this because I am addicted and can't cope without it?

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
Obviously the use/abuse argument works, but only because it's kind of basic, although imho I don't think there's a good reason to do meth.

That being said, let's look at the extremes.

Whether you're talking about a one-night binge, 20-years of use, or overall worldwide abuse, alcohol comes up as worse than MJ. What's more, it's important to remember that although MJ and alcohol are both downers, MJ has yet to be proven to have physically addicting properties (that's another one of those back and forth topics), while alcohol is quite addictive (experience is the mother of research...). So that being said, both are drugs in the sense that they alter states, but one actually forces you deeper as you progress through the addiction process, and is therefore worse.

Also, a side-note would be that my personal understanding of a drug, is that it changes "normal" bodily function and perception, and as such alcohol, sleeping pills, caffeine, and even abusing exercise/food, can be considered at least a partial drug. There severity is personal to the user/abuser, but if you consider how many overweight people there are as well as how many strokes/heartattacks are caused from hypertension food and caffeine jump into the running.

Finally, I can see Spice's point, from my personal life experience. Alcohol kills and hurts more people than most people really understand, especially because it's legal when alternatives are not. No reason to go nuts.

Spencer

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juil 2010
I've never doubted that alcohol was far more dangerous than weed. My person experiences show of that for sure.

So I guess, after reading everyone's post thus far, the question I am coming to is this. Why do you guys think.... Because I've heard alot of differing opinions on this, is alcohol for as many deaths as it obviously causes/helps cause legal? Why is it legal when something as wonderful/harmless as pot can land a guy in jail merely for possession? I've been arrested with weed before and I'm still dealing with the courts over it because I refuse to have it on my record. >< It all seems like a redundant pain in the dick.

Teonanacapilli

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
26 Oct 2009
Because the law-makers and friends get money from alcohol, pharma, lumber and oil companies. These companies don't want competition from an obvious winner like the cannabis plant. Renewable and effective, their exploitative ways would not last with the hemp plant providing again.

mrvn

Inscrit
18 Oct 2007
Alcohol is the worst substance ever, I live in a small town called Hilversum in Holland on the nights that everybody goes out to drink there are more police on the streets than normal people cause everybody turns out to be so nice and friendly while being drunk.
Not to menrion all the negative effects on mind en especialy the body, I always feel totaly raped after to much alcohol.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
Alcohol is a hard drug, no doubt, and because of it's legal status many people are able to abuse it, even teens, who go binge drinking, or coma drinking, so in that perspective i'd say cannabis is better, although, cannabis isn't good either when you start too early (before 18), i started at 13 and i just know my mind would a lot less troubled if i hadn't started at such young age.So, no, weed is definatly not harmless at all, it just looks that way, but when you use it in an abusive fashion, you'll learn the negative sides, and there are a few really.

But ofcourse, as with everything, moderation is the key, i like a little shot of good whiskey when i feel tired after a hard day of work, it can calm the mood a little, i used to smoke a joint then, but i think cannabis is just way too strong nowadays, it get's me totally wasted, allmost braindead, depending on the strain, but still, way too strong.

But not everyone is the same and reacts the same, but i stopped my daily smoking and i drink very responsible (now), and never untill i'm drunk, i don't like that feeling at all.I just don't see the fun in blurred sight, vomitting and uncontrolled behaviour.

NeilPatrickHarris

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
15 Juil 2009
Spencer a dit:
...If I DID compare it favorably, so do millions of americans around the country. Go ahead and tell 30% of the population (most of them probably with more sucess or cash than you) they need to get on with life because obviously the enjoyment they get out of alcohol is misguided. Fuck that.

what does success and money have to do with anything related to this topic? the more money you have the more all-knowing you are? WTF

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
I personally enjoy the odd single malt whiskey or two and maybe some nice white beer from time to time in small quantity when in the house but in a group setting like a pub I find myself getting carried away....

Alcohol has some very usefull attributes I would say in the way different drinks have different effects, Brandy speeds up the heart and Whiskey slows it down. Either can add an instant warmth from the inside too that can be very beneficial when exposed to the elements and as already mentioned thinning of the blood can prevent strokes and help people with thick blood best achieved by small doses of clean spirit I would imagine. Guinness or Stout is a type of beer but is full of Iron and other goodness for the body, research shows the heart in particular. So its medicine in the correct dose with a great potential for abuse.

As a "Drug" for "Fun" you really mean, "Substance for Abuse". If your asking us in a round about way, If alcohol when abused is as harmless as weed? The answer is No, Alcohol is physically destructive and mentally damaging from long term exposure. Weed is also harmfull to some individuals but not any thing like the physical damage of alcohol, its more weak minded and unprepared people that weed effects when abused and even the best of us when in shit life situations. So just be carefull how you go :)

Know ones self, Ones limits and Everything in moderation 8)

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
Spencer a dit:
I believe imbibing alcohol is as bad as smoking a bowl of weed. Sometimes much much worse. Yet there are still people who disagree, and (usually because it is still legal) don't consider it a drug at all. Now lets not fight here. I see the huge possibility for cataclysmic argument... But what do you think? Be adult about it.

adult: You sure seem to be a judgmental fellow. If you think smoking a bowl of weed is bad, why are you even AT psychonaut.com ?

other adult: If you think alcohol is a fun drug, you need to continue.....until you see the light, by all means

I say it's not a serious drug for fun. That's my personal opinion. As a psychonaut, though, I say that alcohol is an utter fail as any kind of substance that helps your spirit in any way. If you find alcohol attractive, I generally could venture the guess that you are a very repressed person, OR that you have a lot of psychological pain you want to escape, maybe both.

You basically admit that you're trolling in your opening statement, so don't act offended because you got what trolls seek, a strong response.

your drug sucks :toimonster:

Spencer

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Juil 2010
NeilPatrickHarris a dit:
Spencer a dit:
...If I DID compare it favorably, so do millions of americans around the country. Go ahead and tell 30% of the population (most of them probably with more sucess or cash than you) they need to get on with life because obviously the enjoyment they get out of alcohol is misguided. Fuck that.

what does success and money have to do with anything related to this topic? the more money you have the more all-knowing you are? WTF

Not what I meant. Just trying to point out it's commonality amongst people. Just like reading people's thoughts on alcohol, but she is deciding to try and pin my character as if she where my shrink. Part of me finds it funny, the other part wishes she'd stick to topic and leave her other opinions to herself. AKA Shut up.

Oh, and maybe it would help if I spoke my piece about drugs. I am all for the use/abuse of anything. Doesn't mean I'D do anything, but I sure could care less if you do. I smoke weed, eat RCs, Shrooms, LSD, DMT. I don't believe any of it should be illegal, and I also believe Darwin had it right.

spice

Inscrit
22 Déc 2006
whatever, you're contradicting yourself. Why don't you shut the fuck up, mister spencer.

Trolls get what trolls seek

which is it?

"I am all for the use/abuse of anything"

or

"I believe imbibing alcohol is as bad as smoking a bowl of weed. Sometimes much much worse. "

I think you are confused

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I'm with sticky on this, except that I find whiskey gruesome :lol: the only hard stuff I can drink is pine schnaps (there isn't really an english word for it), which is delicious. it tastes like freshly cut conifers smell :heart:

and drinking something between 1 to 4 glasses of good red wine with good friends is nice as well. but I think it's more the ritual behind it that makes it nice.
beer can be really good as well, especially dark ones. :drinkers:

getting really drunk may be fun once in a year or two - but one understands pretty fast why one didn't do it that much after all. going on drinking all night to hold an acceptable level of mental impediment can also result in heavenly relaxed states of mellowness that sometimes did resemble trip afterglows. occasionally.

I won't talk much of the negative sides now though, much has been said already. I lived in a flat for a semester with 3 people who were quite thirsty and I was/am quite sick of the constant escapism. (which it in this case at the end boils down to)