Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Dangers of expired mushrooms

Bandersnatch

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
19 Déc 2005
Does anyone know about the effects of consuming expired mushrooms? I've recently 'harvested' my philosopher's stones growbox & have already tripped on them once, juuuust fine! I keep em in the fridge in a plastic box with holes, anyone know how long I can keep em?

HeartCore

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Not too long, I threw mine away after about a month in the fridge because they looked funny. Next time I'll probably dry them after harvest as I do with regular shrooms.

DaZeD

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Août 2006
I ate mine a few day's ago, they also startted to look funny but I ate them anyway, :) I had a bit stomach cramps, but nothing bad, I did found they where'nt that strong anymore, I mean I had allmost very little visions, they where Cubensis.(only the caps I had to throw away cause they where realy looking bad.)

patilan420

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
24 Déc 2005
Expired?? do they grow ith expiered date on them?
Sometimes in the spring we find druied mushrooms in the mountain, which have been whole winter under the snow they are a bit less strong, that's all. I/ve never ate shrooms from more than a year, but in 9 months they are still OK if kept in honey..

Viaticus

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
6 Juil 2005
If the mushrooms are dried properly, they can be kept for years, although their potency will diminish in time (depending of how they are stored).

But if kept in a fridge they will most likely go bad, and this can happen pretty fast

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Viaticus a dit:
If the mushrooms are dried properly, they can be kept for years, although their potency will diminish in time (depending of how they are stored).

But if kept in a fridge they will most likely go bad, and this can happen pretty fast

True...

Dry untill they are cracker dry (stems SNAP), then store airtight, frozen. This way the potency will be guaranteed a long time.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
what happens when you freeze em without drying them?

DevXavier

Inscrit
8 Mai 2006
You'll have frozen mushrooms.

:idea:

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
Fresh mushrooms of any kind can go bad pretty quickly (like three or four days without proper storage).

However they won't become poisonous so quickly. They will just become bad for your stomach. Maybe you'll even have to throw up, maybe not.
I heard recently that most edible mushrooms (legal ones) sold fresh throughout Germany are already in a certain stage of decomposition and are not safe to be eaten at all. Despite of that only a handful of people a year has serious problems with mushroom poisoning - so there's reason to believe that you can eat shrooms which are a little older. You might have to throw up from them though...

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
DevXavier a dit:
You'll have frozen mushrooms.

:idea:

i know that :D but will the psilocin and psilocybin still be intact?

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Meduzz a dit:
what happens when you freeze em without drying them?

You get a big klump of nasty looking , mushroom goo. I dont know if its still active because when I saw how it looked, it was a one way trip to the bin :)

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
if they were fresh when frozen, they wont get nasty and make you sick i supose. you can always mix it with something to consume it.
but i need more info about the potency then :roll:

also, i'm searching for the best way to dry a lot of shrooms. every time i try to make em dry in a closet they rot. must be the humidity :?

marc

Inscrit
5 Déc 2003
Meduzz a dit:
also, i'm searching for the best way to dry a lot of shrooms. every time i try to make em dry in a closet they rot. must be the humidity :?

Some ventilation could do the trick !

Don't stack the shrooms, and use some foam or anything else to put them on so fresh air can float around your shrooms.

Brewmaster

Inscrit
21 Août 2006
The best way to dry shrooms is with dessicant. If you've never heard of it, it's a substance designed to suck the moisture out of the air and comes in various brand names like Damp-Rid. You know those tiny little satchels that come in the pockets of new jackets? All you do is make a box with a screen for the mushies to lay on and an area that you can fill with dessicant underneath them. The dessicant will suck all moisture from them in just a couple days and leaves them bone dry.

Check home improvement stores. You can usually find it near the paint department since people use it to dry out humid closets before painting.

WaseFraKa

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
26 Sept 2005
just leave some space between the shrooms so they can breathe and they won't get bad. Just don't make a pile of them...
Putting them on newspaper is good as well.

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
i heared that drying breaks down the psilocin but not the psilocybin.
how much of this is true?

tryptonaut

Inscrit
20 Nov 2004
From my experience dried shrooms are not different than fresh shrooms. They even seem a bit more "aggressive" in a tea than the fresh ones (that means the effect comes faster). However I never had exactly the same amounts. I usually eyeball my doses, which is, considering shrooms are always different and they always work different on you, just as good as exact measuring. As long as you take enough of them, the trip will be strong enough, LOL

Meduzz

Inscrit
12 Avr 2006
to get back on topic, yesterday i ate shrooms from ******* that were expired. black looking and stuff... i ate them anyway and i didn't feel a thing. i also had shrooms previous friday but normally that's enough of time between for me to had e second good trip.