Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

PNews

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
7 Juil 2010
Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin' says Prof David Nutt

Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack, according to a study published in medical journal the Lancet.

The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former UK chief drugs adviser who was sacked by the government in October 2009.

It ranks 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.

Gavin Partington, of the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said alcohol abuse affected "a minority" who needed "education, treatment and enforcement".

The study also said tobacco and cocaine are judged to be equally harmful, while ecstasy and LSD are among the least damaging.

He went on to form the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs, a body which aims to investigate the drug issue without any political interference.

One of its other members is Dr Les King, another former government adviser who quit over Prof Nutt's treatment.

Members of the group, joined by two other experts, scored each drug for harms including mental and physical damage, addiction, crime and costs to the economy and communities.

The BBC's home editor, Mark Easton, writes in his blog that the study involved 16 criteria, including a drug's affects on users' physical and mental health, social harms including crime, "family adversities" and environmental damage, economic costs and "international damage".

The modelling exercise concluded that heroin, crack and methylamphetamine, also known as crystal meth, were the most harmful drugs to individuals, but alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine were the most harmful to society.

When the scores for both types of harm were added together, alcohol emerged as the most harmful drug, followed by heroin and crack.

'Valid and necessary'
The findings run contrary to the government's long-established drug classification system, but the paper's authors argue that their system - based on the consensus of experts - provides an accurate assessment of harm for policy makers.

"Our findings lend support to previous work in the UK and the Netherlands, confirming that the present drug classification systems have little relation to the evidence of harm," the paper says.

"They also accord with the conclusions of previous expert reports that aggressively targeting alcohol harms is a valid and necessary public health strategy."

In 2007, Prof Nutt and colleagues undertook a limited attempt to create a harm ranking system, sparking controversy over the criteria and the findings.

The new more complex system ranked alcohol three times more harmful than cocaine or tobacco. Ecstasy was ranked as causing one-eighth the harm of alcohol.

It also contradicted the Home Office's decision to make so-called legal high mephedrone a Class B drug, saying that alcohol was five times more harmful. The rankings have been published to coincide with a conference on drugs policy, organised by Prof Nutt's committee.

'Extraordinary lengths'
Prof Nutt told the BBC: "Overall, alcohol is the most harmful drug because it's so widely used.

"Crack cocaine is more addictive than alcohol but because alcohol is so widely used there are hundreds of thousands of people who crave alcohol every day, and those people will go to extraordinary lengths to get it."

He said it was important to separate harm to individuals and harm to society.

The Lancet paper written by Prof Nutt, Dr King and Dr Lawrence Phillips, does not examine the harm caused to users by taking more than one drug at a time.

Mr Partington, who is the spokesman for the Wine and Spirit Trade Association, said millions of people enjoyed alcohol "as part of a regular and enjoyable social drink".

"Clearly alcohol misuse is a problem in the country and our real fear is that, by talking in such extreme terms, Professor Nutt and his colleagues risk switching people off from considering the real issues and the real action that is needed to tackle alcohol misuse," he said.

"We are talking about a minority. We need to focus policy around that minority, which is to do with education, treatment and enforcement."

A Home Office spokesman said: "Our priorities are clear - we want to reduce drug use, crack down on drug-related crime and disorder and help addicts come off drugs for good."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11660210

EndlessEntity

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
6 Juil 2010
this statistic justifies my urge to take mushrooms and lsd

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I like how lsd and mushrooms have no purple hahaha

EndlessEntity

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
6 Juil 2010
they didnt even bother put pot on the statistic it'd be a joke if they did

Oh hahaha cannibus i was looking for marijuana *edit i feel dumb

ashaneen

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
11 Oct 2010
Surprising to see Cannabis rated as being more harmful to others than Cocaine...

Lazarus

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
2 Juin 2010
One should take into account that those scores are based on the percieved damage/costs to society as well and that much of that is caused by their illegality.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
ashaneen a dit:
Surprising to see Cannabis rated as being more harmful to others than Cocaine...

You wouldn't be if you visited Juarez on the mexican/american border.

EndlessEntity

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
6 Juil 2010
i've visited juarez . my brother bought a marble chess set there. of course we stayed on the tourist side of town
and its much worse nowadays but yea i went there once lol

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
The war raging in Mexico is nothing to do with the drug itself and more to do with the war on drugs America started many moons ago.

It not like the people are smoking the weed and taking to the streets with AK's and machette's killing by the thousands....

I bet the ones doing the killing are greedy cartel runners that dont even smoke Cannabis, Personally I think that there need to be peace talks about the current state of the war on drugs across all nations. I dont see why we as humans could not come to some agreement that would see an end to violence and a benefit for farmer right through to state, Also the boom of the hemp industry would create a wave of viable resources from fibres and materials thru to medicines and fragrances. All countrys could be involved in production and export and it would boost the worlds economy in the short run and hopefully lead to broader minded people making thier way to positions where we can start to see some real changes for a brighter future :)

McAllister

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
30 Juil 2008
At the moment the tired old moralists are getting their way, they even managed to hold back proposition 19 in California, but hopefully studies like this will have a big part to play in a future populated by more enlightened people.

ashaneen

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
11 Oct 2010
I would love to see this study revisited, this time ignoring the legality of the drugs. Comparing the studies, we'd get a much clearer understanding of the effects of prohibition vs the actual drugs.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I bet the ones doing the killing are greedy cartel runners that dont even smoke Cannabis, Personally I think that there need to be peace talks about the current state of the war on drugs across all nations. I dont see why we as humans could not come to some agreement that would see an end to violence and a benefit for farmer right through to state, Also the boom of the hemp industry would create a wave of viable resources from fibres and materials thru to medicines and fragrances. All countrys could be involved in production and export and it would boost the worlds economy in the short run and hopefully lead to broader minded people making thier way to positions where we can start to see some real changes for a brighter future

You are the ultimate hippy. hahahaha just kid, but really that was fun/ny to read :) not ripping on you or anything.

Sticki

Inscrit
13 Sept 2007
What makes you say that?

Nothing I said was intended for fun and I doubt the people who are losing family members by the day would agree with your statement.

Im a realist, I see the truth in things and Im fully aware why the countrys don't negotiate and change policy.

I personally think people are more harmful then any drug.....

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
The statement just sounded cliche, I wasn't bashing you or laughing at mexico's condition - the format was just funny to me. Sorry.

But right, somewhere I read (probably on here) that
"Drugs are not dangerous - choices are."

which is basically saying people are the instigators of all that is bad from drugs. (which i guess is pretty obvious, cocaine ain't going to snort itself!)

LittleLinda

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
29 Nov 2010
It's true, if you think about it. Alcohol does make many people very aggressive. Much more than other things. I've never been attacked or threatened by a stoner before. Only drunk people.

Although I am not quite sure how they got these results. If you take LSD and think you are in a Terminator movie and start shooting everyone around you, it might also not be that safe to the people around you, or? hehe.

I don't think there are enough people taking these other drugs for these stats to be really valid.