Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

The Concept of Nothingness

Modern Day Hippie

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
27 Avr 2010
Well I'm a little ripped... ok I lied really ripped, and I was wondering about the concept of Nothing. I've come to the conclusion that it can only be a concept.

It is impossible to have nothing, because by having nothing you gain something. That something is nothing, which shows that nothing can only be achieved in theory.

Thoughts? Damn this shiva shanti is good lol.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
hmm well... you might have nothing and see it as something, indeed... however i think you might more easily be nothing than trying to see nothing as something, aka "having nothing"....
but well maybe all of that makes some sense, regarding that most space, even solid matter, consists effectively of 99% nothing or so...

hmm i also wonder whether by gaining nothing you could still be gaining nothing or even lose something? lol

peace :weedman:

ophiuchus

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
nothing is more than theory i believe. dont discount it because you can never see it. it is axiomatic to your existence. without "nothing" there can be no way to distinguish a "something" or "everything"... your mind peers from nothing and observes everything

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
I think nothing is the description we give beyond things we can understand. You may be right that there is no such thing as "absolute nothingness".

I believe the universe, well... reality, has always existed and is infinite in complexity through all dimensions and perceptions. Nothing, however, has no complexity and has no place in my vision.

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
i think it is because of dualism, that holds our reality together. if there was no darkness, the light wouldn't have anything to shine through. even if you go into quantum physics, every future state consists of two posibilities, 1 and 0. if something is possible (you are), there has to be the oposite option (you are not). it has to do with our psyche, motivation, to be more precise. we have to make decisions, because the right decision gives us a rush. kinda like the experiment with the monkey and two boxes, only one containing a banana. te be able to make decisions, we need at least two possibilities. now, we have transmited this point of view, that is important for our survival as a species, but has nothing to do with other realities (different levels of thinking), to the metaphysics. we are trying to listen to the color blue, so to speak.
to understand the concept of nothing, we have to transcend the dualistic framework to realize that everything just is, including nothingness. :rolleyes:

muchojem

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
12 Août 2010
J'ai été capable de lire toutes vos idées et c'est tout .. awesome
ça me fait penser à une idée nouvelle et nous espérons qu'il deviendra une brillante idée même que vous les gars ..

Profitez de vos journées ..!
:mrgreen: :ANAL:

Engine

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
20 Août 2010
Non-existence 'exists' because it is defined by its opposite.
We can see your dilemma in Mathematics.
For example, in set theory there is something called an empty set - a set of nothing.

waygie

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Août 2010
Modern Day Hippie a dit:
Well I'm a little ripped... ok I lied really ripped, and I was wondering about the concept of Nothing. I've come to the conclusion that it can only be a concept.

It is impossible to have nothing, because by having nothing you gain something. That something is nothing, which shows that nothing can only be achieved in theory.

Thoughts? Damn this shiva shanti is good lol.
just came into the Great Contradiction. objectivity vs universitiality. to you (objectively) it's nothing. but universally that nothings is something in and of itself. 0

waygie

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
23 Août 2010
BrainEater a dit:
hmm i also wonder whether by gaining nothing you could still be gaining nothing or even lose something? lol
never thought about that but yeah. again objectivity vs reality
if you gain nothing you lose time pretty much. but you still lose less than actually losing something (unless losing something would cause you to realize something, then that would be gaining something) in the end everything is growth even if it isn't "growing". even if it's "shrinking"

physical subjectivity, mental objectivity, universal reality

Toxicomethorphane

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2010
Nothingness imply a space that's why Nothing is more interresting.
At the begining there was nothing, so, how come anything succeeded existing ? it's just not possible, that's why nothing exists.
Nothing is all, nothing is the soul of God.

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I used to have a strange kind of fear of form and focused on nothingness, or attached to it, until I realized that it's ridiculous and had a laugh.

there's a saying in Zen: "Form is perfectly Nothingness, Nothingness is perfectly Form", or somehow along that. I made it my mission to completely realize that, I think I'm making progress.

Schwanke668

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
25 Déc 2010
Toxicomethorphane a dit:
Nothingness imply a space that's why Nothing is more interresting.
At the begining there was nothing, so, how come anything succeeded existing ? it's just not possible, that's why nothing exists.
Nothing is all, nothing is the soul of God.

I would argue this. The soul of God is definitely something. The soul of God is the something outside of everything. That is the everything that does not include God. God created everything but he did not create himself. So he created something from nothing yet that something technically came from him which is something.

Nothing is purely the absence of something. Nothing itself does not exist it is simply the state of something not existing in its place. Even though reality is 90% 'nothing' there is still the something at the edge of all of those pockets of nothingness that outline the limitations of the nothing and there by turn the nothing into something. The something is that nothing that is limited by the something.

In the beginning there was nothing and there was God. God existed inside the nothing but he was not a part of the nothing. Then he created the something out of the nothing by taking the nothing and turning it into something. (That something is the big bang in my opinion).

The argument that I have heard recently is that a key basic concept of science is the fact that you cant get something from pure nothing. Its the concept that every effect has a cause. Not that every cause has an effect but that every time you see an effect there is a cause somewhere. (btw I just realized you said that, mis read that the first time)

To say that something came from nothing without the aid of God is a scientific impossibility though to say that something came from nothing with the aid of God is to say that the cause of the creation of something from nothing was in fact something that was the hand (proverbial) of God.

Something and nothing are a duality. Something is the absence of nothing and nothing is the absence of something. Without both existence is meaningless.

I have been told that I have reached a pure state of nothingness by reverting myself into my time line back before I existed. However being that the state of nothing is by definition void of thought I can only ''know" this as a concept, I cannot experience it. Yet I can by virtue of trusting the source of the information begin to formulate a rough idea of the experience of being nothing by formulating my concepts of what it would be like to be nothing and relying on the something that created the nothing to give me insight into what it would be like to be nothing.

Just something to consider. :)

ophiuchus

Inscrit
14 Nov 2006
@ banana

the version i heard was that "form, is precisely void, and therefore, void, is precisely form."

what this means is that by having one, you have automatically defined it's opposite, in that, it's the only means by which one can define the original object. one cannot see a hand without a background to define it as separate from.

this sums it up pretty well. the man studied zen for over 20 years

Indecisive

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Mai 2011
sopor a dit:
i think it is because of dualism, that holds our reality together. if there was no darkness, the light wouldn't have anything to shine through. even if you go into quantum physics, every future state consists of two posibilities, 1 and 0. if something is possible (you are), there has to be the oposite option (you are not). it has to do with our psyche, motivation, to be more precise. we have to make decisions, because the right decision gives us a rush. kinda like the experiment with the monkey and two boxes, only one containing a banana. te be able to make decisions, we need at least two possibilities. now, we have transmited this point of view, that is important for our survival as a species, but has nothing to do with other realities (different levels of thinking), to the metaphysics. we are trying to listen to the color blue, so to speak.
to understand the concept of nothing, we have to transcend the dualistic framework to realize that everything just is, including nothingness. :rolleyes:

This right here is what I've come to the conclusion of quite recently, and it amazes me so to finally have found another unit of consciousness that holds the same opinion.
Tell me how I can contact you Sopor! I'd like to have some deeper conversations. Like a conversation with myself, potentially :eek: