Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

"Duped by Doping"

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
"Brainpower beats popping pills.

Many athletes credit drugs with improving their performance, but some of them may want to thank their brain instead. Mounting evidence suggests that the boost from human growth hormone (HGH), an increasingly popular doping drug, might be caused by the placebo effect.

In a new double-blind trial funded by the World Anti-doping Agency, in which neither researchers nor participants knew who was receiving HGH and who was taking placebo, the researchers asked participants to guess whether or not they were on the real drug. Then they examined the results of the group who guessed that they were getting HGH when, in fact , they had received a placebo. That group improved at four fitness tests measuring strength, endurance, power and spring capacity. The study participants who guessed correctly that they were taking a placebo did not improve, according to preliminary results presented at the society for endocrinology meeting in June.

(...)

HGH may not be helpful at all, reveals a recent review published in the Annals of Internal Medicine. Endocrinologist Hau Liu of the Stanford University and his colleagues looked at 44 studies and found that although HGH did increase athletes lean body mass, it did not lead to improvements in athletic performance in double-blind trials."

Scientific American Mind - Volume 19 Number 5

Ps: I'll be posting some articles from the SAM magazine that I find interesting to discuss here. (though, almost everything would be interesting to discuss, I won't copy the whole magazines)

scientific+mind.jpg

random

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
14 Déc 2007
It's interesting how our minds work under the influence of drugs, when we know we had taken them. And specially when we don't (though, it can be very dangerous depeding on the substance)

There's another good article about this matter,and it's within the same line of thought and investigation, wich is an experience scientists made with rats. And how their addiction to cocaine is the result of voluntary (hence pre-disposal) to take the drug, wich doesn't happen when it's taken by accident. But I'll post that another day.

Personally I don't have experience with this kind of situation. Maybe I've been fooling myself all this time :lol:

Though, the last time I took HBW seeds, I remember that I pushed the trip a little more than it was actually being. It felt pretty good by the way :)

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Yeah. The placebo effect, it isn't something discovered by the Rx companies accidentally after making a few pharmaceuticals, it is actually how old ancient healers used to heal people. It is in our ancestry to be healed by the healers, they knew we ourselves had the power, we just needed to be given the care.

The placebo effect.

Ahuaeynjxs

Inscrit
10 Déc 2008
care = pure water and resonant frequencies aka music ? :)

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
IJesusChrist a dit:
it is actually how old ancient healers used to heal people.
I agree it was part of their methodology, especially in certain eras regions and periods of time, but rarely the methodology itself. Most ancient cultures had a system of nutrition and herbology that still makes sense from a modern fytotherapeutic and orthomolecular point of view.

Nowadays people are willing to pay thousands of dollars to visit a shaman in the Amazon for some magical healing, while all they really need to do is change the things they buy at the supermarket, and start harvesting the right herbs from their back yard.

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
I read somewhere that placebo is strong enough to produce orgasms as well.

Brugmansia

Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cathuman.htm

It is quite popular among bodybuilders and some guys I know swear by HGH for a prolonged period. I'm natural for life, so I'll probably never get to know the effects of steroids.

Although 60/100 miligrams testosterone a week wouldn't be a bad idea for a male in his 50's.