Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

THC, mind and body: what happens.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
I frequently get asked how THC works in the brain and body. I wanted to elaborate on it a bit, but most of this is copied directly from 'Mouse Party' . I'll provide a link at the end. It also has information on MDMA, LSD, Alcohol, Opium and, hell I can't remember. Anyhow, it's a good resource that I often link people to. The pictures make it more understandable for some, though. Which is why I do link. This is a very simple, layman's explanation of how THC works. I'm sure some of you could give an even more detailed description and provide more information than I have. And I do say, if any of you feel I've left something out, please comment. I'm always up for learning more things. (:

Before Cannabis (THC) enters the system, inhibitory neurotransmitters are active in the synapse. These neurotransmitters inhibit dopamine from being released. When activated by the body's own native cannabinoid (Anandamide), cannabinoid receptors turn off the release of inhibitory neurotransmitters. Without inhibition, dopamine can be released. THC, the active chemical in Cannabis, mimics anandamide and binds to cannabinoid receptors. Inhibition is turned off and dopamine is allowed to squirt into the synapse. Anandamide is known to be involved in removing unnecessary short-term memories. It is also responsible for slowing down movement, making us feel relaxed and calm. Unlike THC, anandamide breaks down very quickly in the body. That explains why anandamide doesn't produce a perpetual natural 'high' Moreover, THC attaches itself to fat cells throughout the body. Unlike, opiates, which leave the body quickly, THC doesn't. Because of this, Cannabis contains no addictive properties. Keep in mind, however--- any substance can be psychologically addictive.

Mouse Party: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... mouse.html

Shamanita

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
5 Jan 2009
Unlike, opiates, which leave the body quickly, THC doesn't. Because of this, Cannabis contains no addictive properties.

hmm, i find this a very strange conclusion...

Can't a substance that isn't broke down quickly be addictive?

i think the addictive properties are much more then just the halflife of the substance in the body (and how long it stays in the body). Like, in which part of the brain the substance is effective, and which receptors etc.

by this i don't say that THC is addictive, i'm just questioning this conclusion..

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
Shamanita a dit:
Unlike, opiates, which leave the body quickly, THC doesn't. Because of this, Cannabis contains no addictive properties.

hmm, i find this a very strange conclusion...

Can't a substance that isn't broke down quickly be addictive?

i think the addictive properties are much more then just the halflife of the substance in the body (and how long it stays in the body). Like, in which part of the brain the substance is effective, and which receptors etc.

by this i don't say that THC is addictive, i'm just questioning this conclusion..

I agree, yes it does affect how it interacts with 'whatever' receptor, but it's mostly based on how quickly it leaves the body. Look at cocaine, nicotine, morphine.. all substance leave the brain/body quickly and are considered highly addictive.