Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Growing question: odor.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
My setup is very small, only room for one plant. I was wondering of a cheep, effective way to remove odor, or even a natural way. I was told about Ozium, Air Sanitizer, Air purifier and Air deodorizer, but I'm not sure if that would keep removing the smell. I'd probably have to keep spraying it every two hours and I don't have time for that. I was also thinking about one of those Glade air things. What's a cheap, effective way to remove the smell as the plant grows? Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Peace and love,

-S

IJesusChrist

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
eating it

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
IJesusChrist a dit:

Haha, what? This is for growing, silly. I want to eliminate the odor, since I'm growing indoors.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Synith a dit:
IJesusChrist a dit:

Haha, what? This is for growing, silly. I want to eliminate the odor, since I'm growing indoors.
my statement still holds! You just won't have anything to smoke :roll: hehehe

darkwolfunseen

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
5 Août 2009
If it's a somewhat vacuum sealed room = activated charcoal filter (find plans online to build cheap).

If the room is not sealed tightly I'd use a glade plug-in or a small pc fan with a timer to turn on every 15 minutes with a small bowl of scent behind it.

Better yet, I'd honestly just keep people away from the area by locking/hiding where it is.

im1badpup

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Sept 2008
dont forget, smelly things just mask the cannabis smell. they dont eliminate it.

if you have good ventiliation to outdoors (ie small extractor fan) then you shouldnt have no real cannabis smell worries.

with good ventilation, i only ever had a worry about smelling my plants (when i had them) in the first 15 minutes my extractor went on in the mornings as the growroom cleared the air/odor built up from the night before. 12-20 plants 3 ft tall.

yours, expelling air from there therll be a tiny whiff on the breeze at the most then gone i think.

if you dont fancy that, then go for the carbon filter, you wouldnt need a big one, but overkill is better in case you want to expand.

peach

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Nov 2008
i'll tell you now, I can smell a joint from about five miles away. :D

keep in mind that your own sense of smell is probably already fairly shit if you smoke on a regular basis and you'll become acclimatized to the smell within hours of it appearing. people outside, in the fresh air, who don't regularly smoke, will smell the faintest hint of it from a long ways away.

it's also a prime method of detecting a grow, I've heard of numerous people getting caught just because the neighbors could smell it

you NEED an active carbon scrubber. they'll absorb the stench of a super stinky grow to nothing. the room i ran mine in actually smelt cleaner than it did before anything started growing, as it was also absorbing the smell of piss

also pay attention to the way the air is flowing in the room and the noise of the fan. imagine the air is a liquid, where is the pressure or draft going to let it seep out? other than for the light reasons, this is why tents kick so much ass, because they ensure you have total control over where the air can go

a few plants of a decent strain WILL stink as they start to bud.

and the others are right, spraying things to mask the smell won't work.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
im1badpup a dit:
dont forget, smelly things just mask the cannabis smell. they dont eliminate it.

if you have good ventiliation to outdoors (ie small extractor fan) then you shouldnt have no real cannabis smell worries.

with good ventilation, i only ever had a worry about smelling my plants (when i had them) in the first 15 minutes my extractor went on in the mornings as the growroom cleared the air/odor built up from the night before. 12-20 plants 3 ft tall.

yours, expelling air from there therll be a tiny whiff on the breeze at the most then gone i think.

if you dont fancy that, then go for the carbon filter, you wouldnt need a big one, but overkill is better in case you want to expand.

Exactly, that's why I was looking for something that would eliminate odor completely. The ventilation is perfect. I'm basically growing under the house, where you have those open vents on the lower part, all around the house. It may be a bit small as the plant grows, the height for the space is about three feet, and I don't think I can get a lamp up there-- so I'll have to dig down a good 4 to 5 feet and place the plant there. I'm growing one plant so far. I've another seed that's ready to be put into a dixie cup, but I'm not sure if I've enough space to grow more than one at a time. We'll see. I'll upload pictures of my setup in a few days, to give you guys a better idea of what I'm working with.

I have a bunch of old CPU fans from an old computer I took apart a while ago. I could string the wires together, hook them up to a battery and have them pointed towards the vent. It's another option.

peach a dit:
i'll tell you now, I can smell a joint from about five miles away. :D

you NEED an active carbon scrubber. they'll absorb the stench of a super stinky grow to nothing. the room i ran mine in actually smelt cleaner than it did before anything started growing, as it was also absorbing the smell of piss

also pay attention to the way the air is flowing in the room and the noise of the fan. imagine the air is a liquid, where is the pressure or draft going to let it seep out? other than for the light reasons, this is why tents kick so much ass, because they ensure you have total control over where the air can go

a few plants of a decent strain WILL stink as they start to bud.

and the others are right, spraying things to mask the smell won't work.

Awesome. The air is flowing through the vent, then back 'round the underbelly of the house, then back through every vent, so there's quite a bit of circulation going about. I'm growing Afghan Kush, by the way.

I may just have to build a filter. I don't trust buying things off the internet, so I'll browse a hardware store and see if they sell one. If not, I'll build it.

Anyhow! Thank you two very much for your help!

Pictures in a day or so!

Peace and love,

-S

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
Hey guys! I just shot some photos of my setup. Hopefully it'll give you a better idea of what I'm working with. Feedback is greatly appreciated!

-S

im1badpup

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Sept 2008
ok....

right your setup, and its limitations.

1. how much height is there?
2.whats the dimensions length.width of grow area.

that bedlamp is no good. in my opinion you need at least a 250watt high pressure sodium (growlux, son-t, sunmaster)
personally if you have approx 1metrex1metre get a 400watt one.

them vents you have, you need to work out which way the air predominantly sucks in from and expells from, and have your air intake/outtake correspond to that.,
line around the vents with a poison insect pen, summat to kill the fuckers as they crawl in .

"I" personally in your situation there by looks of it go one of two ways, dig a hole deep enough to allow a 3ft plant, + 1ft lightspace, or grow lots of real small plants.

because of the placement of your vents ie people can go right upto them, make sure no light seeps out n they cant look in youd need the charcoal filter to be safe too.( yes people look in vents, even 25ft up in the air nosey twats fucked my grow up!)

one plant the authorities wont give a fuck about, but if you grew loads and was hiding them like that ill tell ya now, they play on the "hidden" trapdoor, "secret" room shit in court and your lil grow ends up with a description like theyve just found atlantis.

you NEED a proper light, or youll just be wasting your time.
ive never seen a half decent grow from anything but hps lights.
the seedling looks healthy though :)

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
im1badpup a dit:
ok....

right your setup, and its limitations.

1. how much height is there?
2.whats the dimensions length.width of grow area.

that bedlamp is no good. in my opinion you need at least a 250watt high pressure sodium (growlux, son-t, sunmaster)
personally if you have approx 1metrex1metre get a 400watt one.

them vents you have, you need to work out which way the air predominantly sucks in from and expells from, and have your air intake/outtake correspond to that.,
line around the vents with a poison insect pen, summat to kill the fuckers as they crawl in .

"I" personally in your situation there by looks of it go one of two ways, dig a hole deep enough to allow a 3ft plant, + 1ft lightspace, or grow lots of real small plants.

because of the placement of your vents ie people can go right upto them, make sure no light seeps out n they cant look in youd need the charcoal filter to be safe too.( yes people look in vents, even 25ft up in the air nosey twats fucked my grow up!)

one plant the authorities wont give a fuck about, but if you grew loads and was hiding them like that ill tell ya now, they play on the "hidden" trapdoor, "secret" room shit in court and your lil grow ends up with a description like theyve just found atlantis.

you NEED a proper light, or youll just be wasting your time.
ive never seen a half decent grow from anything but hps lights.
the seedling looks healthy though :)

It's three feet tall and wide enough to grow at a bunch of plants. The house is rather large. I just want to grow one or two plants, here. I know. I planned it wrong, but I got a CFL light. I'm sure I can get a fairly good harvest off of that.

As for the vents. Nah, no one will see light from that one vent. There's a bunch of bushes n' shit in front of it. I've already lined it with big and spider-killer so insects and such can die if they enter it. I've also lined bug killer about 10 feet away from the plant, to keep anything else that crawls in. (I have one of those replants that uses a frequency . It's for spiders, roaches and other insects. So the plant will be just fine.

I will need to dig down as the plant grows. That's no problem. I may have to get a new light, but a CFL light works great in it.

Sometime this next week I'm gonna put a small fan down there to direct air towards the vent. I'll have to make a carbon filer eventually. Seems that that's the only way to eliminate odors.

Oh heck yea. I talk to my little seedling. 'Yeah, you're gonna grow up to be a big, strong Cannabis plant! Yes! Yes you are! Oh, here's some water.' Yeah. Weird, but I love my baby plant, haha.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
If you're looking at a CFL you need a 120watt(ATLEAST, and this will have to be ~ 4 inches from the plant)... which will generate alot of heat. To be honest I'd just grow it in that closet man, who cares if someone smells something, just tell em you burn weed-incense.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
IJesusChrist a dit:
If you're looking at a CFL you need a 120watt(ATLEAST, and this will have to be ~ 4 inches from the plant)... which will generate alot of heat. To be honest I'd just grow it in that closet man, who cares if someone smells something, just tell em you burn weed-incense.

I'll go that route. I need to get a lamp that can support that wattage though. Shouldn't be more than like $60 for both the bulb, lamp and Carbon Filter. I've a little cabinet thing I can grow in. It's inside my closet anyhow. Smells like shoes, haha. I can just vent the shit out the back and down the vent. It'll take a bit of building though.

Meh. I should have thought this through before I started the seedling, but all well. You learn as you go, eh? Haha. Thanks for the info.

When the plant matures a bit, I'll post picks of my setup and such.

Peace and love!

-S.

Synith

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
9 Nov 2008
It turns out that Febreze makes a small carbon filter. Here's a link: http://www.amazon.com/Febreze-True-Purp ... B0016AS5B4 You have to buy the filters separately, but everything was only about $22 at Target. It's small, but it'll do for one plant. I picked up a 120W CFL bulb for around 10 bucks as well. So, everything's set.

Just need to move the plant into a larger container (It's falling over in the dixie cup already) -- and let nature do it's thing. (: