Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

once inoculation is done...

zumplo

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Avr 2002
I'd like to know, once inoculation is done, (I'm using jars with metal lids), if I should put some scotch on the holes of the lids or jut leave them opened ?
I also wonder if light is required or not just after inoculation ?
Thanks for your answers.

Dan_kNugs

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
4 Nov 2002
You should leave the holes open for air exchange.

Dan_kNugs

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
4 Nov 2002
Forgot to answer your whole question..

You want as little light as possible after innoculation.

ACE101

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
22 Jan 2003
Keep them in a warm place as well. Optium temperature is 29 degrees celsius. Expect them to be ready 30 days from now.

Mark it on your calander. /forum/images/graemlins/alc.gif

zumplo

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Avr 2002
Thank you very much guys for your answers.
I'm going to put the jars in a closet next to my computer, it should be dark and warm enough.
About the holes, I've found that:

"Put tape over the holes in the lid to keep out any contaminants."

" It has been said that it is not necessary to place tape over the holes of the jars due to the ramsey seal and vermiculite layer, however, it would not hurt. You are now ready for incubation."

Are you really sure that I should leave them opened ??

lizard

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
18 Jan 2004
Hi;
I used simple cubensis grow tek and according to that there is a dry vermiculate on top of the jar. This layer helps to protect. I didn't close the holes and didn't think so much about it. Nothing happened bad to my cake :=)

If you try to care so much there will be bad things. Just prepare and leave them alone, nature will do the other job /forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope you will have success...

Dan_kNugs

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
4 Nov 2002
Yep lizard said it correctly..the dry vermiculite is your safety layer.

zumplo

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
4 Avr 2002
ok, now the holes are open, but I put a coffee filter on top of each jar as someone told me.

Dan_kNugs

Sale drogué·e
Inscrit
4 Nov 2002
Ok, you could do that..just put a rubberband around it.

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
Kind of an aside question...

Does it follow that using more spores would result in faster colonization? It makes sense to me that using, say, 2cc of spore solution (instead of a single cc per jar)would speed things up a bit and increase the probability of successful colonization-- or would it?

Just a thought. :wiggle: Thanks!

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
ok, now the holes are open, but I put a coffee filter on top of each jar as someone told me.

I'm assuming that you do this immediately after pressure sterilization, otherwise the filters would be a bit soggy. The filters are probably somewhat clean coming right out of the bag, for added cleanliness though you could probably microwave-sterilize them before use.

I'd be concerned that coffee filters might absorb moisture from the surrounding environment and therefore increase the possibility of contams instead of protecting against them. Has anybody tried this Tek?

My thought is that 1/2" of clean vermiculite should provide sufficient protection. Then again, though, I've been really happy with 10-20% contam rates. I'd be interested in hearing from somebody who has used coffee filters enough to verify that they reduce overall contam rates.

smiles

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
2 Juin 2004
Thank you very much guys for your answers.
I'm going to put the jars in a closet next to my computer, it should be dark and warm enough.

If your water heater is in a closet, that makes an ideal space as well.

This is an interesting thread I to would like to know more about the use of coffee filters ;)

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
Something weird just happened...

I've currently got ten jars of Agaricus Brunnescens mycelia (perfectly legal edible mushrooms) in the incubator, of which only nine were showing any signs of colonization. Since a couple of jars are getting ready for birthing, I decided to take a look at the one un-colonized jar before cleaning it out for re-use. I put it in my glove box and peeled back the foil lid, and lo and behold there was a nice fluffy layer of mycelia growing RIGHT ON TOP OF THE 1/2" OF DRY VERMICULITE IN THE TOP OF THE JAR!!! Yes, I'm sure that it was mycelia and not a contaminant of some kind. Also, my humidity levels were normal (no excess water on the sides or bottom of the jar anywhere). The thing is, I didn't think that mycelia could colonize a dry, non-nutrient substance like vermiculite...???
:think:

I went ahead and steam-sterilized a spoon and a clean sheet of tin foil, went back to the glove-box, and stirred the contents of the jar really well before re-covering the jar. It's back in the incubator now. Any thoughts?

Mycophile

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
30 Juil 2004
Yes, mycelium can grow on vermiculite. It was probably not dry though due the fact it's in a jar where the humidity is constantly high.
About the coffeefilter. I can't imagine that works well unless your incubator is perfectly clean. A coffeefilter is not suited for air filtration. If a drop of coffee can go through, millions of contaminants certainly can, and will.
It's better to use a piece of Tyvek. if you can't get your hands on that > filterwool for aquaria. They will have it in your local petstore...

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
This one jar is really becoming something of a hobby. :p After I stirred its contents, the mycelia started to spread into the RBF/verm mixture a little, but then it rapidly re-colonized at the top of the jar again. That's still where 75% of the new growth is taking place. Think I may stir it up real good again tonight, just to see what happens-- I'm starting to become intrigued by the way this one jar is doing its own thing.

psilly

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
18 Août 2004
After stirring a second time, the mycelia started colonizing in "clumps" throughout the RBF/vermiculite mix. I think these concentrations are where large pieces of mycelia ended up. This burst of colonization stalled after only a day or two. Since about 40% of the jar's outer surface was white, and since the was was entering week four in the incubator with no new significant growth, I went ahead and birthed the cake to the fruiting chamber. One thing that I noticed right away is that there weren't any air pckets anywhere in the RBF/vermiculite mix in this jar-- this was one pretty SOLID chunk of vermiculite!! I don't know if this was due to settling while the jar was in the incubator or due to my repeated stirring (possibly both?). In any case, the mycelia didn't have room to grow, and this is why it was concentrating at the top of the jar. Stirring the jar was only redistributing the mycelia, but it still didn't have the opportunity to colonize in such a thick, claylike mixture. Aside from the uncolonized spots on the cake, it seems to be doing well with its brothers and sisters in the fruiting chamber. We'll see what develops. :grin:

hostillis

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
14 Oct 2004
yes, it will speed up the colonisation but if it will be potentially more succesfull? no that doesnt matter.
about the environment with a temperature of 29 C, be carefull with that cause during incubation the mycelium will produce an exothermic reaction wich can warm up temperatures inside the jar up to 5 C. that means the ideal temperature is 25 C.
if it gets 35 degrees C inside the jar the mycelium might stop growing and dry out.