Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

mind of no expectation

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
i wonder whether anyone here has ever achieved that?? basically i think it's probably something totally amazing. morever to even imagine to not expect anything, at times seems a very difficult thing to do.
but then again, if you come to think about it, shouldn't it be really easy, with or without a little bit of concentration??
the question is when and how can we create blockages if we stick too much to the mind's expectations.
i also just thought it's not the same to reflect or think about as to plan emotional states. however i just hope everybody can see the basic insanity in planning emotional states...
damn, can't really explain it very well... :?
any thoughts? :p

peace

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
I don't plan my emotional states, but I try to keep a mind of no expectation while living in the present moment. The mind is such that we need to chalk down our future goals and ambitions, and at times whenever we live in the future we're full of anxiety, but at the same time we need to think about our course of life and think of path we specifically follow. I keep no expectations, but yet in my mind I plan for the future as it is a built in human tendency that is pretty necessary for our survival. I think mindfulness helps you achieve the right balance between no expectations and future goals, however when I was a psychedelic user (ESP. Weed) it was easier to keep no expectation at all

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
hmm interesting... well i guess the question is whether expectactions can become obstacles or whether they can influence the outcome. in the sense that it's all energy, they probably do. maybe it's simply the deception effect. or also maybe it's even not always bad to have expectations, if you don't have to cling to them too much. but then again if you don't have an expectation, you can't be disappointed, right?? well who knows... but it's probably a different kind of joy if it's expected.. not really sure lol...
well but yeah i guess the point is to be able to think about the future, but not be so attached to it, that the thoughts and expectations become blockages. illusion and reality...
sometimes it can be fun to laugh. :D also, i agree that weed is great for going beyond thought.
moreover i think it's a difference to think and to needlessly/pointlessly think futile thoughts. know what i mean?? :x :-|
i guess i just mean that at times the survival tunnelvision-mode, if that's the right way to call it, seems necessary, but it can also be transcended. i know it may seem that to go beyond fear can be a sensitive issue, however at times it seems to be a very sensible thing to do.

peace

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
BrainEater a dit:
hmm interesting... well i guess the question is whether expectactions can become obstacles or whether they can influence the outcome. in the sense that it's all energy, they probably do. maybe it's simply the deception effect. or also maybe it's even not always bad to have expectations, if you don't have to cling to them too much. but then again if you don't have an expectation, you can't be disappointed, right?? well who knows... but it's probably a different kind of joy if it's expected.. not really sure lol...

Depends the way you look at it. If you keep an end result in mind it's easier to mold the present into something that will give results in the future. I'm all for living in the present moment, but definitely we need to be cautious of unforeseen circumstances that arise in the future. You need to be able to anticipate and predict future scenarios and problems as well. Natural disasters come and wipe out entire villages and cities at times, to prevent such circumstances we use equipment that predicts future dangers and climatic changes. Suppose we completely keep a mind of no expectation it might result in carelessness which might result in unpreparedness for future problems or solutions. A balance of both, no expectations and consciously creating our future and maintaining it is required in my view. You needn't need to focus on the minutest aspects of life all the time, but at times it's definitely necessary, especially for the maintenance and survival of our species and planet earth.

BrainEater a dit:
well but yeah i guess the point is to be able to think about the future, but not be so attached to it, that the thoughts and expectations become blockages. illusion and reality...
sometimes it can be fun to laugh. also, i agree that weed is great for going beyond thought.
moreover i think it's a difference to think and to needlessly/pointlessly think futile thoughts. know what i mean??
i guess i just mean that at times the survival tunnelvision-mode, if that's the right way to call it, seems necessary, but it can also be transcended. i know it may seem that to go beyond fear can be a sensitive issue, however at times it seems to be a very sensible thing to do.

peace

You're right, there is no need to be attached to the thoughts, but definitely it's not futile to think. We can definitely transcend our survival tunnel-vision mode, but it may not be wise to be in such a state all the time.

Whoever

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
25 Mar 2013
I've been able to get the state of no expectation when i was hitchhiking for days. I only knew the place I was supposed to get to, but it could take days to get there.
I had no expectations because I was on my own, with very little money going through cities I didnt know.
And I had an amazing time. I went from surprise to surprise. If you dont expect anything, things just come at you.
But I think it is only true when you're always on the move.
Routine kills.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
@toogoodforyou yeah i think i agree.. to have a mind of no expectation, shouldn't mean to become foolish. i just mean when it becomes compulsive to calculate/expect something it's unhealthy. einstein said something like "insanity is to do the same thing over and over again expecting different results". i would say there is some truth in it, but when is a situation totally the same really?? so yeah maybe it means everyone has their own psychological time tunnels in a way. hmm i guess i would say something like try to be ready to dodge stupid peoples' tunnel visions. have a better mental tunnel architecture. lol... what's intuition? only animal thinking and instincts? aren't there more and higher levels etc etc??? what if expectations create at least the subjective experiences in the sense that we're either disappointed or not, except of course we can expect something neutrally lol...
in conclusion i mean that thinking and expecting can be useful, but when it can't be turned off when it isn't needed then it's a bit bad. does that make sense? :p

@whoever hey that sounds great... i think hitchhiking is amazing!! it's something very peaceful if you are centered and naturally connected to nature in a good way. it's courageous to travel with little money and if you have good intentions i think people will be nice and there will be positive surprises. i know people are not all over the world similarly cold. i guess i just like it when people are nice to themselves and others from the heart. moreover i agree that routine often kills, a bit like obsession for security, know what i mean?....
hmmm well i am not totally sure how to say this, but maybe regarding the idea of mind of no expectation it's a bit like another level/scenario when on the move. maybe experienced meditators would just sit there and for example travel in themselves so to say. a bit like when there is seemingly not so much happening, there is also supposedly not so much to expect, right??? seemingly simple logics lol... can't explain it very well... hmm everyone is different. ;)

peace

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
Whoever a dit:
I've been able to get the state of no expectation when i was hitchhiking for days. I only knew the place I was supposed to get to, but it could take days to get there.
I had no expectations because I was on my own, with very little money going through cities I didnt know.
And I had an amazing time. I went from surprise to surprise. If you dont expect anything, things just come at you.
But I think it is only true when you're always on the move.
Routine kills.

Traveling is a great eye opening experience, especially if you travel and hitchhike to foreign places. I think traveling to foreign places expands your consciousness and forces you to see life from different angles, also it makes you feel more alive. However, it can also be an escape from life if you keep on doing it. Routine is inevitable my friend, you need to break through it once in a while to keep surprising yourself, but it's still inevitable. Imagine if your loved one falls ill and there are no doctors available cause of lack of routine or the doctors aren't experienced cause of lack of routine. Most of the gadgets you use right now are coming from people who have a routine. These companies producing it are functioning at 6 sigma, that means 3.4 defects per million processes, for that you need repetition and routine to perfect it. Airline safety functions at 7 sigma, to function at that level you need some kind of a routine.

ItsDanYole!

Matrice périnatale
Inscrit
2 Août 2013
I have to agree that routine is necessary for human survival and evolution. What I believe to be the problem is finding YOUR routine. In today's day and age, you see soo many ppl and their routines on a daily basis, fancy cars and houses, clothes, jewelery,......not trying to be materialistic here but, you also see their smiles. Smiling is usually known as a good thing. We see those good signs and we crave "good". So you adopt a routine. But how much of it is yours? Find what drives you and create a routine that further facilitates it. Black doesn't exhist without white, just as chaos doesn't exhist without order. Find your routine that works for you but don't let it rule you. Keep in mind to think outside the box and be true to yourself.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
hey good points both!!! the ambivalence of routine and the ambivalence of smiles... i guess it's worth to think/reflect a little bit more about that. hmm i just got another idea.. maybe it can be a difference whether not to expect anything or how to not expect anything or something particular? a bit like calculation tunnel vision mode or so... perhaps one possible remedial idea could be to not have only one tunnel vision, but many tunnel visions (for example smaller tunnels and bigger tunnels or so) .. or many not-tunnel visions whatever that may be? lol a bit strange idea... :lol:
i guess i mean like we can logically expect something (mathematics, science, etc etc), but can we also not logically expect or not expect something. lol yeah i know it's a contradiction, but i would say what if the world hasn't completely recognized the value of contradictions (and not-contradictions) yet, perhaps at least in some sense or so, but i guess there must be a better way of saying it. i mean like sometimes maybe it's just boring when everything is logical or not logical... unfortunately, it seems to me i can't describe it very well. maybe a bit like various different levels/forms of alchemy or so.
definately something i still need to think more about...:idea: 8)

peace

toogoodforyou

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
9 Juin 2008
BrainEater a dit:
a bit like calculation tunnel vision mode or so... perhaps one possible remedial idea could be to not have only one tunnel vision, but many tunnel visions (for example smaller tunnels and bigger tunnels or so) .. or many not-tunnel visions whatever that may be? lol a bit strange idea...

I think we humans will always be in tunnel vision mode. That tunnel may cover maybe infinite consciousness or it may be narrowed down to doing a small task at hand or some studies, but it's always through a tunnel, either you may be focusing on the vast consciousness or on the small task but you're focusing on something. What you are referring as non tunnel vision mode is focusing on that vast consciousness. But definitely we cannot do that all the time, otherwise we would fail at survival as a species. I think the key is to keep the focus of the tunnel on a variety of activities, so nothing gets too repetitive. But as humans we tend to be obsessive in nature, so most people have their tunnels set on work and money, they absolutely forget to look at other beautiful aspects of life.