Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

'letting go' connected 2 rem sleep?

mindsiyk

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
8 Oct 2008
Just had a random thought last night.

When on hallucinogens i normally hold my eyes either closed or 3 quarters closed and flicker my eyes lids really fast. This increases visuals for me dramatically.
I normally change between the two because if i hold them closed for to long its hard to change the image starts to die unless im really high.

I know that when u REM sleep your eyes flicker, is this to help your brain produce the images to form a dream? I'm wondering if my tripping technique and rem sleep could be connected at all....

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Woah! That actually makes a LOT of sense Mindsiyk. I'll have to try this next time (as should some others) and see if has a similar effect for me. If it does you could really be onto something. According to several studies...they don't know. There are a bunch of theories but not a decent explanation.

If you are interested this Wikipedia link lists some of the current theories on REM sleep's function in the body/mind. The theories are all well cited, so they should be fairly decent.

Good luck in your search Mindsiyk. I'll be sure to post anything relevant that I find.

mysticwarrior

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
17 Août 2007
When i trip, i don't need to flicker, i always experience a complete world of visuals... But next time i will give it a chance, to see if it would improve anything...

Twilight

Inscrit
7 Juin 2008
Why the eyes actually move so fast during REM-sleep is a very interesting question indeed. But I don't think it has anything to do with the images you see, because then you won't see anything if you've pulled the sheets all over your face.
The outside world probably has some influence on your dreams, like sounds and such, but I think it's just the audio and not the visual thing.

Ganesha

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
22 Mar 2009
How can you equate Rapid Eye Movement (where your eyes move fast) with Flickering your Eyelids (where your lids move fast)?

Arcticpheonix

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
10 Oct 2007
Twilight a dit:
The outside world probably has some influence on your dreams, like sounds and such, but I think it's just the audio and not the visual thing.

This I can definitely verify. I fell asleep on the couch one day and had a VERY vivid dream about being a character in a Japanese Anime, I'd never more than heard of. I had never seen an episode, or even a clip of this show, but yet I had an intense dream about it. I found out later that it had been on TV while I was asleep.

My only assumption is that the audio from the show influenced my dream.

sopor

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
2 Nov 2006
Ganesha a dit:
How can you equate Rapid Eye Movement (where your eyes move fast) with Flickering your Eyelids (where your lids move fast)?

i was wondering the same thing...

just brainstorming: while rem we move out eyes in various positions. eye movement can be quite interesting thing. in nlp observing eye movement is used to "read" what a person is thinking about. here is a simple chart:

eyemov1.gif

since we move our eyes subconsciously, we do the same thing in our dreams, i assume.

could pointing your eyes up with closed eyelids trigger more visual effects?

Affirmatory

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
29 Déc 2008
You're looking at it backwards. Your eyes flicker during REM because they are awake and are pointing towards things in the dream world. This has been confirmed scientifically (by studying lucid dreamers, so maybe that's not the same) as far as I know.

IJesusChrist

Inscrit
22 Juil 2008
Affirmatory:

You've never seen someone's eyes flicker in REM sleep? It is very rapid, and no dream I have ever had has had visuals that would be moving sporatically like that.

The original post of this - I think you may be on to something. I have once sat on the couch while feeling "high" (but sober) and noticed that if I sporatically moved my eyes all over the room, mimicing rem sleep I actually was able to intensify the feeling.

In fact I didn't want to stop moving, it felt good in a way.

It may be that moving your eyes somehow signals the brain to release some type of communicator, telling the brain something is going on. I have never tried this while on something though.