Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

intantional sleep deprivation

sadhak

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Juin 2009
I tried intentional sleep deprivation for psychonautic purposes before but only for very short durations like 36-48 hours
I thought that I shall try this time to stay awake for 4-5 days (96-120h.) and see what comes out of it
I still plan to be going to school during those days even though I would be sleep deprived which shall add up to the fatigued and probably make this more extreme (which I don't consider to be a bad thing)
sleep-deprivation-hallucination aren't my main goal but rather just fulfilling my curiosity about how screwed up I would be and how weird would everything turn but I still wish that I will experience hallucinations as I really like those (even the scary ones)
I don't plan to be taking any mind altering substances during those days to be sure that those effects come solely from the sleep deprivation and not from the substance (the only exception might be some coffee here and there if I would have a REALLY hard time staying awake)

# after two days (48h.) you suppose to start feeling weird
# then after three days (72h.) be unable to do properly the most simple tasks
# after about four or five days (96-120h.) the hallucinations suppose to began

so far I only have been awake for 22.5 hours

so wish me luck :D

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Who's monitoring you in this experiment?

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
Wish you luck! :wink: I'll bet you won't make it over 72 hours :twisted:
Seriously, 96 hour long sleep deprivation is more damaging physically than any known psychedelic in recreational dosages. I find that idea a waste of one's time and health.

sadhak

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Juin 2009
afer a dit:
Wish you luck! :wink: I'll bet you won't make it over 72 hours :twisted:
Seriously, 96 hour long sleep deprivation is more damaging physically than any known psychedelic in recreational dosages. I find that idea a waste of one's time and health.

well I think that if I'll drink enough coffee then I shall probably make it

are you aware of what kind of physical damage can this bring? based on what I heard only chronic sleep deprivation has negative influence on the health of the person but I doubt that this kind of sleep deprivation will anyhow permanently damage my health

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
Perhaps nothing serious will happen. But it's no good for you, I guarantee that. The point is, it's simply not worth it. There are more efficient, safe and reliable ways to explore one's consciousness.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
your doubts won't prevent possible damage so better safe than sorry huh??

by the way meditation can bring you to deep mindstates too if you're after that, without risking your health

anyways if you do it i wish you best luck!

peace

HighFive

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
16 Avr 2009
sadhak a dit:
well I think that if I'll drink enough coffee then I shall probably make it

are you aware of what kind of physical damage can this bring? based on what I heard only chronic sleep deprivation has negative influence on the health of the person but I doubt that this kind of sleep deprivation will anyhow permanently damage my health

Well, since evolution got us a very sofisticated internal chemical clock which makes you feel the urge to sleep once every 24 hours, I guess your body needs it. And depriving your body of its needs can do nothing but damage it.

If we sleep 10 hours a day it's probably not just for the fun of it :)

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
Besides, you'll have your unintentional sleep deprivation while in university! At least when the session begins :twisted:
On my last one, I recall sleeping like for ~10 hours in 5 days total :D

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Sleep deprivation in general need not be harmful. But unsupervised sleep deprivation, forced by coffee, that I can't encourage. Go to sleep and start practicing circular breathing in the morning. Do it for a couple of hours, listening to gentle music, and you'll be in a deep holotropic state. It's safer, healthier and much more effective.

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
Btw, what's that holotropic breathing?I've heard of it but never got what's it all about? Could someone describe in short what's the trick?

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Stanislav Grof a dit:
Theory and Practice of Holotropic Breathwork

In the last twenty years, my wife Christina and I have developed an approach to therapy and self-exploration that we call “holotropic breathwork.

gonzebo

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
13 Mar 2009
don't know what all this debate about lack of sleep affecting health is, but does anyone have any actual research to quote instead of "cuz we need sleep and ur not doing it"

anyhow, the longest anyone has gone without sleep was 11 days (264 hours for those that arent that math inclined), and showed great lacks in cognitive, physical, mental, sensory, and any other score he was tested on by the end of this.

HighFive a dit:
Well, since evolution got us a very sofisticated internal chemical clock which makes you feel the urge to sleep once every 24 hours, I guess your body needs it. And depriving your body of its needs can do nothing but damage it.

If we sleep 10 hours a day it's probably not just for the fun of it

actually research (http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 082009.php) has shown that we sleep in order to maximize our efficiency and minimize energy usage (seeing as how the brain accounts for 2% of body mass but 20% energy usage while awake, it uses assloads less when asleep). read above article, discuss.

zombeastie

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Jan 2009
my question is, why dont you want to sleep?

dreaming is so much fun, and sleeping feels so good.

BrainEater

Banni
Inscrit
21 Juil 2007
obviously to get beyond the mind. for what specific reasons i do not really understand except of course the driving curiosity.

zombeastie

Neurotransmetteur
Inscrit
31 Jan 2009
I dunno,
i thought dreams happened because of secretion of dmt in your brain during REM sleep.

My last experince with DMT took me pretty far beyond the mind.

Dreams = good

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
zombeastie a dit:
i thought dreams happened because of secretion of dmt in your brain during REM sleep
Trace amounts perhaps (it's only a theory!), but the experiences differ vastly, in both their phenomenology and their effects. Dreams help you to process the events of a particular day, a powerful psychedelic experience can help one resolve the traumas of an entire lifetime, or even multiple lifetimes.

mysticwarrior

Inscrit
17 Août 2007
Sadhak, why are you constantly trying to seek for dangerous/unhealthy experiments? I mean, last time you could have died from your mix with all kinds of meds, now your on to sleep deprivation. What's next?

I really don't want to offend you, but if look at the way you are experimenting. I am really getting worried, that one day you will find yourself in really big trouble. And i speak these words from of my heart!

Becareful mate!

Greets,
Mystic.

afer

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
2 Mar 2007
Can't quite agree here. Every time I empty a big cup of Yage there's a feeling of being literally poisoned, and it's not that psychological- no matter what my set and setting is, it's always there, of a varying degree. As if my physical body is rejecting...for no obvious reasons btw.
Body is extremely conservative. It's not into weightlifting. It's not into studying. It's not into weather change. And it's obviously not into near-death experiences :D
So, as far as my exp goes, it's often a fight between my mind wanting to explore/achieve and my body wanting to sit back&relax/stay away from "trouble".