Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

growing salvia

Jelleb

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2008
I went to the Organic Earth shop in Maastricht to ask some information about a salvia plant.
before I even asked my question the shopowner said:
Would you like a salvia plant, ive got 3 which I'm gonna let die anyway..

so happy to get my free plant i totally forgot about the growing instructions -.-"

so now ive got my salvia plant, but no information.
any tips?
I've placed it in normal soil for plants, in a big clay bowl.
to give it some light (it's winter), ive placed my desklamp above it.

thanks

Paracoculi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
23 Juil 2007
The only real difficulty with Salvia in my experience is that it's so damn attractive to all kinds of pests. That aside it's a pretty easy plant.
This is not the best period for cuttings, but it should be okay if it's warm and light enough, although I wonder if a desklight will be enough for a light source.
Salvia thrives in a lot of different situations, as long as you give her the time to acclimatize and as long as temperature doesn't reach below zero.

Soil should be loose and airy, I prefer to make my own soil mixtures for my plants. I use normal potting soil, perlite, vermiculite and peat moss, it works very well for almost all of my plants.
Also be careful not to water too much, many people I know make that mistake. When leaves start drooping it's time to water.
Salvia also likes lots of rooting space, I use pots of 17L or more. But that's not something to concentrate on right now, just keep her alive ;)
Yeah, one plant is enough for the rest of your life, taking cuttings is so fun and easy :D

Can you post a picture of your plant? It's easier to give you tips then ;)

Good luck!

Jelleb

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2008
thanks Paracoculi, I'll keep a close eye on it for diseases and do all the other tips you gave.

when i have my camera back (it's in my car which is at the garage for repairing) i'll take some pics and throw them online.

also other tips are welcome, because I don't have much knowledge about gardening a Salviaplant.

greetings and love
Jelle

restin

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
When the leaves are drooping ---> Water.

Don't overwater --> rotten roots

Always work with sterile stuff !!! When doing cuttings etc.

Have some natural insecticides near you, it is possible that you get small black flies.

If you see that the plant is feeling shit, e.g. if you see something white that is attached to the stem or neither watering nor sunlight helps the plant ---> MAKE QUICK CUTTINGS before it is too late.

Light is OK too much light is Not OK.

Put a plastic sac with holes in it over the plant, she likes it humid.

You may try to add Seramis so you don't have to water it very often but then there is the danger of overwatering. Usually the communication of the plant if it has thirst (drooping) is good.

Be nice to her.

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
AND: use a drain.

Jelleb

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2008
thanks Restin.

I've found my mom's camera (which is kinda crappy but i'll give it a go).
here are some pictures:

(I put the lamp closer about 12hrs a day, and the other 12 i put on my peyote's. I know it's not the best way to grown 'em but i'm trying my best to make 'em survive)

Paracoculi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
23 Juil 2007
She looks better than I had actually imagined Jelleb.
Restin's tip concerning a humidity tent/chamber is a very good one, it doesn't seem to be necessary judging by the pictures, but it never hurts. You could put a plastic bag over it with some little holes like Restin said, or you could cover the plant with a transparent bucket or something.. Then gradually decrease humidity by making more holes in the bag every few days, or by lifting the bucket a little bit more.
Don't expect her to grow much during the winter though, growth is not important now. During the spring and summer she's gonna grow like cabbage. :D
Nice peyote's btw, I love them! :heart:

Anyway, she seems to be doing well right now, so all you can do is wait. If you do see something suspicious or worrysome, just let us know immediately and we'll see what we can do ;)

Lol, I see you have some oldschool mario bros poster over there haha, thanks to mario my fascination for mushrooms started at young age in the first place! :p

Peace, and good luck man

restin

Inscrit
18 Avr 2008
She looks very pretty, glad it is so. if she came out without the humidity sacks, she will be OK so, I think, do as you wish :wink: Paracoculi: Do you think 12 h of light is needed for her? I am not very sure, I can't tell now...

Jelleb

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
5 Déc 2008
thanks for the tips.

Paracoculi a dit:
You could put a plastic bag over it with some little holes like Restin said, or you could cover the plant with a transparent bucket or something..

I've made a construction of bamboo (stolen from the neighbours garden :p) and plastic foil.
It looks like this:

also took a close up from how the lady looks now:

Paracoculi a dit:
Nice peyote's btw, I love them!

hehe, they're still small.
But I want to keep them, till they day they are old enough.
doesn't matter when, I've got all my life in front of me ;)

Paracoculi

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
23 Juil 2007
Wow! You went trough some trouble for the lady huh :d
It looks wonderful! Yes, she appreciates that I'm sure ;)
Treat your plants with love, and your plants will treat you the same :)

As soon as your peyote's start flowering, you'll have an endless flow of seeds too ;)

restin a dit:
Paracoculi: Do you think 12 h of light is needed for her? I am not very sure, I can't tell now...

I'm not very sure myself, but I don't think 12 h of light is necessary. I keep my salvia's in a small greenhouse without artificial lighting, they are doing fine every year, but those are adult plants. I don't know if it's different for cuttings...
It's probably fine :)

Well, I'm glad :)
But I feel pretty nausious right now, food poisoning maybe.. So I'm gonna lie down now and take it easy.

Adios amigo's!