Quoi de neuf ?

Bienvenue sur Psychonaut.fr !

En vous enregistrant, vous pourrez discuter de psychotropes, écrire vos meilleurs trip-reports et mieux connaitre la communauté

Je m'inscris!

Your suggestions for Psychonaut.com

Caduceus Mercurius

Holofractale de l'hypervérité
Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
Do you like psychonaut.com? Let us know what you like about it.

Are there things that annoy you? Let us know about that as well.

If you were a programmer (and maybe you are one), what would you change?

What additional features do you think would contribute to this website?

In other words: write whatever suggestions you have for psychonaut.com in this thread. We're going to go over your comments next week, to see which changes we would like to implement, and how to do it.

Thanks!

CM

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
To answer these questions for myself, I like the "active forum topics" section on the front page.

However, it is a rather short list. I wish it would be a bit longer (or unlimited if one goes to another page?). I think it would also be nice if such a list could be generated for separate languages, although that wouldn't be such a concern if the list would be much longer.

I also wish navigating would be a bit easier. If I click on a topic on the front page, it opens the first page rather than the last page of that topic.

Or if I'm reading and then closing a page in one of the four categories of the Dutch section, I would like to move directly to the Dutch section again, or to one of the four categories, but there seems to be no option but to click on Forum (or frontpage) and scroll down again, click on the category, on the topic, the 6th page of that topic etc.

An additional feature? Maybe a blog, where we can all submit videos (using embedded code) and other HTML stuff. I don't mind that HTML is disabled for regular posts though.

user_1919

Inscrit
21 Fev 2007
I love this site. But there is one thing that I would change if it's possible. It is not a big deal at all. When I return to the 'Psychonaunt Community Forum Index' it always brings me back to the top, when I am viewing something new the bottom. Is there anyway to make the topic that you were viewing appear at the top instead of the top of the page, if that makes any sense? lol

PEACE & LOVE

murof

Glandeuse pinéale
Inscrit
14 Mar 2008
plus de lien français..more french link

ararat

Inscrit
8 Juin 2006
I wouldn't be reading that much here if I didn't like this site :D from all forums I'm active in, this is by far my favourite :)

CaduceusMercurius a dit:
To answer these questions for myself, I like the "active forum topics" section on the front page.

However, it is a rather short list. I wish it would be a bit longer (or unlimited if one goes to another page?). I think it would also be nice if such a list could be generated for separate languages, although that wouldn't be such a concern if the list would be much longer.
I totally agree. this list is very practical, and it would be nice if it would be longer, or if there was the possibility to set the languages you want to read (so that the french/dutch section doesn't pop up for me there).

and, of course, a section for meditation, dreaming and similar stuff would be nice.
a section where you can post articles like those from realitysandwich, boingboing or other sites would be nice too. I've always been in quite a struggle if I should post an article or not :p

mutant

Elfe Mécanique
Inscrit
7 Fev 2008
I like the layout, the 'view your posts' choice, the latest posts in home page [and the fact that you can talk about illegal substances ~ you got to be able to talk freely somewhere!

G

Invité
I agree with misery concerning a longer "active topics" list, maybe double the lenght ?

Right now it's the only thing that's coming to my mind, I've been here for so long that I got used to everything, maybe that's why I have so little to say ;)

JustinNed

Inscrit
12 Oct 2007
Love the front page, but there isn't enough on it! After that the only other thing I can think of is the search engine. It doesn't work a lot of the times.

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Not being a programmer but......

"Or if I'm reading and then closing a page in one of the four categories of the Dutch section, I would like to move directly to the Dutch section again, or to one of the four categories, but there seems to be no option but to click on Forum (or frontpage) and scroll down again, click on the category, on the topic, the 6th page of that topic etc."

If we double click on the word "nederlands" the dutch part gets spread out so you can go from one thread back to the dutch part again useing the back button . Same , same with the front page .

I think that the list of active topics should be two or three times as long but with all of the diferent languages in the same one . How many of us read several sections ? I read the German , Dutch and English sections and keep an eye on the French section to . So several lists would be a pain in the arse for me . There is already the option to view posts since your last visit you just have to log on .

"An additional feature?"

That the wiki option is on the top of every page again . That the foto gallery is working again . That the option to add a foto is on every forum thread . That when you paste a new post it gets copyed exactly the same as its written and not like now when it sometimes gets split into lines two lines apart . That when you post double spaces between things it doesnt get shortened to one like it does now . That when you go to "home" and click on the words "wiki encyclopedia" the wiki opens . The same with the "experiences" section . That pictures that get uploaded to threads are automaticaly resized because its a real pain when you have to scrole from left to right to read the posts because a picture is to big . A special "non comercial" link where people could download my new 14 hour rock opera "Baby baby baby rub your mamory glands in my face" and send me , free , tax free , money .......................................( I also take good drugs and sex as payment . NO $......)

"a section where you can post articles like those from realitysandwich, boingboing or other sites would be nice too."

I think that somewhere there has to be a limit , one has to be carefull not to have to many links to content on other sites as one wants the punters to stay here , and advertising for other site should bring revenue .

Forkbender

Inscrit
23 Nov 2005
CaduceusMercurius a dit:

I also wish navigating would be a bit easier. If I click on a topic on the front page, it opens the first page rather than the last page of that topic.

+1

At the last meeting Space told me there was a link on the 'Forum' page, called messages since last visit or something. This is precisely what I would like to have on the front page. Would save me a click every day.

Caduceus Mercurius

Inscrit
14 Juil 2007
messages since last visit or something.
I've tried that, but it doesn't really work for me, because I'm usually logged in all day.

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
CaduceusMercurius a dit:
messages since last visit or something.
I've tried that, but it doesn't really work for me, because I'm usually logged in all day.

But then it's still the most active topics that appear on top, right? But, I agree with everyone saying that we should have a proper, long, list named active topics!

Further on, i agree with GOD, I hope we'll be able to work on all the 'sections' that have been put aside because their usablilty sucked (grrr joomla grr).
I'm looking forward to see nice overviews of the latest experiences, links, articles, photo's and a wiki, that take you to the actual content in ONE click.

Right now the site (except the forum) is based on Joomla which still doesn't allow a proper implementation of other modules. What could be a solution here, any software recommendations??

Is there a nice photo gallery tool available that also allows uploads by users?

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Jakobien a dit:
Right now the site (except the forum) is based on Joomla which still doesn't allow a proper implementation of other modules. What could be a solution here, any software recommendations??

Is there a nice photo gallery tool available that also allows uploads by users?

In my opinion it doesn't make sense to look at software solutions before a thorough functional design has been made. Before that, it's just a shot in the dark.

Also next to a list of features that must be implemented, it doesn't hurt to look at conversion possibilities as in, which CMS system supports all our wishes and can be populated fairly easy, with all the topics currently on the forums.

A good starting point would be, I guess, to create a small group of people consisting of at least one experienced programmer, someone(s) from Aza and one or two community members who have made clear they really want to support this.

This group could then be responsible for producing a functional design and a proposal regarding which CMS/software to use.

Just my 2 cents.

HC

PS If there are no volunteers for the programmers role, I guess I can do it

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Hey ! Hey ! WOW !!! So its called Jumla and jumla has modules for different functions . Which jumla ???

"In my opinion it doesn't make sense to look at software solutions before a thorough functional design has been made. Before that, it's just a shot in the dark. "

Your the expert here HeartCore . Do you mean stop patching a rusty bucket and replace it with one with no holes in it . If you do I AGREE . We dont put our fingers in a running system . There should be a posibility to copy the system , put it on another computer . Play with it till it runs properly and then put it back on again . There are only two things to do . Copy the shell and copy the information we have put in = posts , fotos , experiences , wiki....... Repaire or renew the shell and copy the info back in . That means you have got to have one or two short , revenueless ???? , down times while the dirtys are being done . = there is no chance of fucking things up even more , just short (?) down time/s . ( i understand the site security implications = the master passwords would have to be changed 2 times . But it doesnt mater what is done that would have to happen ............if we want to be secure )

Havent you got full user instructions for the software ? I see jumla software , modules and instruction books every day on my net safaris so whats the problem ???

"Further on, i agree with GOD"

And you havent even heard my 14 hour rock opera ......... YET !!!! shall i send you my bank details ????.........please .( I`m thinking of renaming it "The hypocritic inquisition" after the like named confused , pseudo intelectual , sharlatan , cold sweaty hands and vasaline soft soap fantasy shit "film" ) .

The visitors on line statistic always shows "0" wich is bad advertising . People come online , see no one is there and ....... go somewhere else . When i saw one time that 120 people were on line if felt inspired , when i see that no one is on line its disapointing .

"CMS"

?????? Chronic Multiple Sclerosis ??????

skrudge

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
10 Déc 2005
GOD a dit:
"CMS"

?????? Chronic Multiple Sclerosis ??????

content management system, but yours might be implementable in the system as well :D

Most important change to me I think is a tool for the photo's, they have to be uploaded properly, and if it exceeds the max width and height size it's automatically resized to a usable size for the forum. I don't really like scrolling the forum as if it's some plane of undefined width size. Plus it hepls those who don't understand photoshop.

And as said before, I think it'd be better if the active forum topics is just one list, and not a page with another following page behind it. Most of the time when I go to the second page it repeats itself, which is a nasty bug.

It'd be nice as well to see in the author space of a topic if that person is online or not, simply with an icon.

that';s it for now I guess... I'll keep my eyes open for other things

HeartCore

Inscrit
22 Août 2004
Do you mean stop patching a rusty bucket and replace it with one with no holes in it .

Yeah well, patching is not a bad thing persé but if a system is not delivering what is expected and besides that manifesting weird, unexpected/undocumented behavior with standard functionality, in my opinion it's time to throw it out and replace it for something better.

Joomla is documented, that's not the problem. The problems are in the way the system is coded in general and how the interface works. The front end of it is quite ok (thats the place where the users do their thing, like the forums) but at the backend (the management system), it's just far from intuitive. For example if you use the back button of your browser, chances are you just unwillingly locked a page for viewing. Or a forum. Or something else. There also just weird stuff going on with other modules.

Once it's clear what the basic functionality should be (as in minimum requirements vs optimal), we could look at different other CMS systems, like Drupal or dragonfly, to name just two, there are many more flavors to find out if there is one that can deliver what we want and, is coded in such a way, that it's not too hard for a programmer, to add/change stuff.

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
HeartCore a dit:
The front end of it is quite ok (thats the place where the users do their thing, like the forums) but at the backend (the management system), it's just far from intuitive. For example if you use the back button of your browser, chances are you just unwillingly locked a page for viewing. Or a forum. Or something else. There also just weird stuff going on with other modules.

In our case, the forums are not in Joomla.
And, never tell me again that the front end doesn't suck as much as the backend :cry:

GOD

Inscrit
14 Jan 2006
Whats the point in the thread if we only get selective "truths" in thin slices ? THAT SUCKS AS WELL .

Something has got to be done ....... something that doesnt shove the site into an avoidable big hole = as i said 100,000 ,000 times before there needs to be a copy of the / a new system made and experimented on untill someone can use it properly . Then either that person can edit the sites settings while the motor is going or the sie will have to go down and a new , tested , version of something goes in again . OR you hire some greedy professional "programmer" who comes and fixes a few things and then leaves you standing up to your necks in shit again in the middle of a system that you still dont understand ......... A system fucked by buisy little fingers ............ who will fuck it again . For fucks sake someone please tell me whats the problem ????? why should it be any more dificult to use than any software for making web sites ??? ......... And whats your / the problem ????

Jakobien

Alpiniste Kundalini
Inscrit
28 Oct 2005
OMGOD can your relax a little?

As if developing a website where you show user-submitted content and associated content is the easiest thing in the world. Ever done anything like it? The web is full of open source tools and programmers saying they will fix it all, but finding the right ones is the key... and to be able to communicate properly with them we need to know exactly what we want...tadaaaa... therefore this topic, which is not a "cry for help"... just collecting ideas that indeed may come as "selective truth in slices" (thats what the world seems to be about anyway these days isn't it?).

You're right about backing it up and keeping it running whilst we work on the new version...of course we'll do that.

Thank you :wink: